Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Number of Google search results not showing up (for some)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:31
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2020

Hello everyone and happy ITD!

I'll go straight to the point, it looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page. There are many people reporting this issue in the past week. I can have the number of results from an incognito window but not from my logged account.

I don't have to tell you that this is really bad news for us translators, so I'm asking you to send your feedback to Google asking them not to get rid of this feature.... See more
Hello everyone and happy ITD!

I'll go straight to the point, it looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page. There are many people reporting this issue in the past week. I can have the number of results from an incognito window but not from my logged account.

I don't have to tell you that this is really bad news for us translators, so I'm asking you to send your feedback to Google asking them not to get rid of this feature.

To send your feedback, scroll down to the bottom of your Google results.

Thanks
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claudia Oct 2, 2020

Claudia Alvis wrote:
It looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page. There are many people reporting this issue in the past week. I can have the number of results from an incognito window but not from my logged account.

Do you mean that line of text saying "About 2 100 000 000 results (0,42 seconds)"? Do you have any URLs of where this is being discussed? I googled for it and found only one or two posts, from a couple of years ago.

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Filter Oct 2, 2020

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'll go straight to the point, it looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page.

Do you have an active filter? If you filter the search results on items like 'language', 'country' the tab 'Tools' is marked. When you click the 'Tools' tab, it collapses and shows the amount of search results. Hope this helps.

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Designed by a tool Oct 2, 2020

Erwin van Wouw wrote:

Do you have an active filter? If you filter the search results on items like 'language', 'country' the tab 'Tools' is marked. When you click the 'Tools' tab, it collapses and shows the amount of search results. Hope this helps.

Indeed. It took me years to figure out they'd made such a brain-dead design. Some of their developers seem to be tools themselves.

neilmac

alessandra bocco
alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I have the same problem Oct 2, 2020

... but I don't understand what Erwin means. I have no active filters

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
Danish to English
+ ...
This is what Erwin means Oct 2, 2020

Screenshot 2020-10-02 150447

You filter by selecting Advanced search under Settings. This makes Google hide the number of hits (totally idiotic 'feechur'). To see the number of hits anyway, you need to click on Tools (absolutely not obvious, very poor design).

If this is not the cause of Claudia's problem, then I have no solution.

Erwin van Wouw

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No filters Oct 2, 2020

Hi Samuel,

I am on mobile now but I'll post some links later. I found several newish posts but now I'm not that sure anymore.

I actually noticed this when a friend of mine asked me if I was having the same issue.

Erwin van Wouw wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'll go straight to the point, it looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page.

Hi Erwin.

There are no filters active. As a matter of fact, I copied the URL to an incognito window and the number of search results do show up there.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A couple of links. Oct 5, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:
It looks like Google is getting rid of the number of search results at the top of the page. There are many people reporting this issue in the past week. I can have the number of results from an incognito window but not from my logged account.

Do you mean that line of text saying "About 2 100 000 000 results (0,42 seconds)"? Do you have any URLs of where this is being discussed? I googled for it and found only one or two posts, from a couple of years ago.

Hi Samuel. You're right, I overestimated the number of posts about this issue. But there are at least a couple recent discussions about it on Google and one on reddit, although I can't find it anymore.

This conversation was where I read that it might be an experimental thing: https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/74141590

There is another link but it takes you the the previous link: https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/74261723?hl=en

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem Oct 10, 2020

Hi Claudia,

I had the same problem: no count and only 200 results per search. I switched from Edge to Chrome to have the Google search results count again. Let's hope we're just victims of random Google tests and that they come to their senses.

Cheers,
Gerard

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Go to next results page Oct 11, 2020

I solve this by going to the second results page

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You have to experience the problem to see it Oct 12, 2020

You have to experience the problem to see it:

In Microsoft Edge

Top of first page

Screenshot (7)

Bottom of last page

Screenshot (8)

Gerard

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You have to experience the problem to see it Oct 12, 2020

You have to experience the problem to see it:

In Google Chrome

Top of first page

Screenshot (9)

Gerard

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Google - No number of hits Jan 2, 2022

Now I am the victim. All of a sudden Google stopped showing the number of search results. I found this forum, tried the proposed solutions, but to no avail.

Did somebody in the meantime found a/the solution?

Note - No problems on the computer of my wife! Strange.

[Edited at 2022-01-02 16:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-02 16:32 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
huge number of hits dwindles suddenly Jan 3, 2022

In the example above, it shows 40 million hits. But if you go to other pages of results, maybe the 3rd, 4th, or skip to about the 8th page, it suddenly changes to something like 42 or 250 or some other very much smaller number. I didn't try David Bowie so I don't know if this is the case in that instance, but I have experienced it quite a bit when searching for a term within quotation marks. I have been using MS Edge.

So, if I filter it by language, will that force it to give a true
... See more
In the example above, it shows 40 million hits. But if you go to other pages of results, maybe the 3rd, 4th, or skip to about the 8th page, it suddenly changes to something like 42 or 250 or some other very much smaller number. I didn't try David Bowie so I don't know if this is the case in that instance, but I have experienced it quite a bit when searching for a term within quotation marks. I have been using MS Edge.

So, if I filter it by language, will that force it to give a truer number of hits? (Showing the actual number of hits instead of a random huge number) Or if I change to Chrome?
Collapse

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
You might try Simple Search Jul 22, 2022

I am having this problem too, of returns not being as relevant (just in the last several months, the lack of relevancy took a huge leap!), and returns not being in the language I need to see them in, despite tweaking settings to make sure I get more returns from that language. It is as if Google just ignores what I am asking for. Judicious use of keywords and operators is not working like it used to (ex. include the domain, change the language, "returns must contain this word" plus sign, etc.).... See more
I am having this problem too, of returns not being as relevant (just in the last several months, the lack of relevancy took a huge leap!), and returns not being in the language I need to see them in, despite tweaking settings to make sure I get more returns from that language. It is as if Google just ignores what I am asking for. Judicious use of keywords and operators is not working like it used to (ex. include the domain, change the language, "returns must contain this word" plus sign, etc.). It seems to just keep showing me my own country's location-relevant things in my own native language...which I don't want.

This has helped me a little for some things:
https://www.theverge.com/21560298/simple-search-google-browser-extension-download-markup-antitrust

But I agree it's a problem and am still working on it.

(edit) Just some validation that it isn't just us!
https://support.google.com/websearch/thread/8098915/suddenly-my-google-search-results-are-terrible-chrome-is-up-to-date-what-should-i-do?hl=en

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/u72ycj/is_it_just_me_its_becoming_harder_and_harder_to/

[Edited at 2022-07-22 11:57 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of Google search results not showing up (for some)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »