Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2017

A hilarious clip (10 minutes) on the differences between BE and AE, the need for bilingualism in Europe, and the travails of learning French. It's from 2007, but someone just sent it to me, maybe it will make you laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU&app=desktop

Susan

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Oct 28, 2017

Hi Susan, thank you for this, it really makes my day. Did you watch any of the other segments? They are all hilarious and 'spot on' (a BE expression that I'll borrow for the occasion).

[Edited at 2017-10-28 16:50 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I didn't Oct 28, 2017

I was supposed to be working.
But with your recommendation, I'll watch them!

Lidija Klemencic
Lidija Klemencic
Serbia
Local time: 19:20
English to Serbian
+ ...
Excellent Oct 30, 2017

Susan, I spent more than one hour watching this lunatic. Thank you for this.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:20
German to English
Saw hin perform in German. Nov 1, 2017

I've actually seen him perform live in German, a language which he was more or less unable to speak when he started the series of shows (I think he had had a few years of German decades earlier in school). He actually managed to be very entertaining in spite of it all, including a nice half-linguistic bit about how to say raising your hand in German. With his marathon marathon etc., he's really more Dada than standup, but he puts on a good show and is admirably willing to make a complete fool of... See more
I've actually seen him perform live in German, a language which he was more or less unable to speak when he started the series of shows (I think he had had a few years of German decades earlier in school). He actually managed to be very entertaining in spite of it all, including a nice half-linguistic bit about how to say raising your hand in German. With his marathon marathon etc., he's really more Dada than standup, but he puts on a good show and is admirably willing to make a complete fool of himself.Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:20
Spanish to English
Thanks Nov 1, 2017

That was a great start to the day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stand-up comic Eddie Izzard on languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »