Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:15
French to English
+ ...
Not an answer but... Apr 4, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

When I paint a horse (on canvas, not paint its fur), I end up with a painted horse - is that the live one or the one in the picture?

When I replicate a server, I end up with a replicated server - is that the source or the target server?

and so on. Strictly linguistic (i.e. scholarly, not practical) question: Does this hold for all verbs that refer to the creation of an exact or modified copy?

Really you end up with a painting of a horse and a replicate server.

Also, I think a "painted horse" could only be the picture, whereas the "horse painted" could be either.

I think the answer to your question is often yes but on a Monday morning my brain can only stretch to being pedantic.

We also only have one word for "language".

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
This is also ambiguous Apr 4, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Otherwise, painted horse could very well mean a horse that has been painted (need not be a live horse, could also be a dummy such as a rocking horse, or the wooden horses on merry go rounds).

It's not actually clear whether you're saying it could refer to the painting or the subject of the painting.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK, without a context... Apr 4, 2016

English teacher:

1. Someone/a person who teaches English
2. English national (citizen of England) who teaches something

?

Let's stretch our brains on Monday morning... : )

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Lunchtime is here, brains duly stretched. Apr 4, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

English teacher:

1. Someone/a person who teaches English
2. English national (citizen of England) who teaches something

?

Let's stretch our brains on Monday morning... : )

Lunchtime is here, brains duly stretched.

I'm not an English national, I'm British according to my passport. But I am a person from England. I'll plead guilty to pedantry

Personally I love ambiguity in language. It's what makes it impossible to replace us with machines, as well as providing infinite fodder for humour.

Any more examples to keep giving me laughs?

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:15
German to English
+ ...
What I learned as a translator Apr 4, 2016

I learned never to take anything for granted. A word may not mean what it seems to mean at first glanced or what it "obviously" means. A writer may have tried to bring something different across than what he actually stated. This makes me question more, and check more, than when I simply was good at languages. Context is almost everything. I think it was the same for the person who originally posed the question.

Btw, I think there is a type of horse with large spots that is com
... See more
I learned never to take anything for granted. A word may not mean what it seems to mean at first glanced or what it "obviously" means. A writer may have tried to bring something different across than what he actually stated. This makes me question more, and check more, than when I simply was good at languages. Context is almost everything. I think it was the same for the person who originally posed the question.

Btw, I think there is a type of horse with large spots that is commonly called "painted horse". You can have a painting with a horse in it, and that is a "painted" horse (that has been painted on the canvas). But there are also "painted ponies" in merry-go-rounds that children sit on. It was made famous in the song "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat and Tears. So we have three different meanings for "painted" in "painted horse / pony" right there. (sigh)
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wonder Apr 4, 2016

how many translators send the source file when the client asks for the translated document.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
@Maxi Apr 4, 2016

That horse is actually known as a 'paint', not 'painted' (from someone who used to have one)

*Off topic!

[Edited at 2016-04-04 14:38 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:15
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The answer to your question is none or zero Apr 4, 2016

TranslateThis wrote:

how many translators send the source file when the client asks for the translated document.

However, the fact that no translator would send the source file when the client asks for the translated document cannot be used as a support for the conclusion that the use of the "translated document" is a good one.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Both Apr 4, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

I saw someone used "Signing a translated website" as the title in a forum he started. I have always been confused with the use of the word "translated".

If the source text is in Spanish, and it has been translated into English, which text do you refer to when you say "the translated text"?

Both
Web site's in both languages now.

"Signing a translated website" doesn't refer to languages but to the web site. The web site has been translated so it's in 2 or more languages now.

Personally I wouldn't actually say signing the translated English or signing the translated language. Signing the translated web site is fine imo and it's very obvious what the poster meant.

Which text do you refer to when you say "the translated text"?

Again both

The Spanish has been translated into English, the English has been translated from Spanish.

You can't really take a word like that out of context and want to define its meaning in one single way, it really depends on the words around it, the rest of the phrase, and the context it's used in.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ambiguous sense of the word "translated"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »