United States
Local time: 11:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2016

Dilemna or dilemma? Are you sure?

www.dilemna.info

If you read the comments in the yellow sidebar, you will see that many people wer
... See more

www.dilemna.info

If you read the comments in the yellow sidebar, you will see that many people were taught the incorrect spelling.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/it-dilemma-or-dilemna "I was taught the wrong spelling in school, and when I got older and checked a dictionary, I was shocked to find that the word is spelled "dilemma."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dil1.htm "The reason for it seems to be a mental confusion with other words in English that are spelled with mn but said as mm, including autumn, hymn, condemn, solemn and column"

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:57 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dilemma Apr 13, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

www.dilemna.info

[Edited at 2016-04-13 13:51 GMT]

No dilemma here. It's "dilemma".

Now how about "lose" and "loose" or "antisemetic or antisemitic"?

[Edited at 2016-04-13 13:55 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hoax? Apr 13, 2016

Isn't this a hoax? I've never seen it spelt with an "n".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spelt? Apr 13, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

- or spelled?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Something to do with how M and N sounds are produced? Apr 13, 2016

I guess when anglophone people just hear the word, without seeing it written, here is what happens:

When the mn spelling occurs at the end of a word it is usually pronounced as an m sound (the n is silent).

Source: http://www.pronuncian.com/pronounce-m-sound

So I guess they confuse mm for mn situation.

We don't h
... See more
I guess when anglophone people just hear the word, without seeing it written, here is what happens:

When the mn spelling occurs at the end of a word it is usually pronounced as an m sound (the n is silent).

Source: http://www.pronuncian.com/pronounce-m-sound

So I guess they confuse mm for mn situation.

We don't have this "dilemNa" in my language as we don't have double consonant spelling at all. We just say "dilema", and pronounce is just the way you see it, one letter, one sound.

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We were taught in school... Apr 13, 2016

... that it was spelled with an "n". We were even taught to mispronounce it (in our head) "DI-LEM-NA" in order to remember the spelling.

If you read the comments in the yellow sidebar, you will see that many people were taught the incorrect spelling.

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:40 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it was never spelled with an "n"... Apr 13, 2016

... but millions were taught that it was.

Erik Freitag wrote:

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:38 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad teacher Apr 13, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

... that it was spelled with an "n". We were even taught to mispronounce it (in our head) "DI-LEM-NA" in order to remember the spelling.

You had a bad teacher. I once had an English teacher who insisted that "Chopin" should pronounced as in "shopping" and a History teacher who believed that the greatest history book in the world was the Bible.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Ok Apr 13, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

... but millions were taught that it was.

Ok, I'll take your word. I really suspected an internet hoax. But wait, I should just accuse you to be part of the "Dilemna Conspiracy" that is trying to make us believe people have actually been taught this spelling in school - this is how it works with the Bielefeld Conspiracy.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Really? Apr 13, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Well, if it's "official" it should be added to a quality, up-to-date English-English dictionary, can you cite one? Probably not.

But this is how changes in a language evolve, often times when something not conforming to convention becomes mainstream or used by masses, it finds its way to a dictionary, sooner or later (in some cases much later). But for this to happen, it needs to become broadly used, and also somehow linguistically functional.

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:54 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not the only one Apr 13, 2016

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/it-dilemma-or-dilemna "I was taught the wrong spelling in school, and when I got older and checked a dictionary, I was shocked to find that the word is spelled "dilemma."

See also: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dil1.htm "...The reason for it seems to be a mental confusion with other words in English that are spelled with mn but said as mm, including autumn, hymn, condemn, solemn and column"

Erik Freitag wrote:

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-13 14:58 GMT]

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
If we're ... Apr 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

You had a bad teacher. I once had an If weEnglish teacher who insisted that "Chopin" should pronounced as in "shopping" and a History teacher who believed that the greatest history book in the world was the Bible.

... talking fiction, my vote is for Biggles Makes Ends Meet (1957).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't you yet realise all words are from Greek? Apr 13, 2016

δίλημμα
when you have to choose between plague and cholera. If the origin were Finnisch it would be spelled "pula".

Yes, I've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 13, 2016

I have no one at all to blame, but it was perhaps 10 years ago that I discovered that "dilemna" is wrong.

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
There may be no answer Apr 13, 2016

It's the old story of the same word being spelled differently in different places around the world. The biggest differences being between British English and US English. I have made a lot of money over many, many years translating US English into British English and the client keeps coming back every month or so with another job. Long live the difference.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »