Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
Apr 5, 2017

I read this sentence "The private sector added 263,000 jobs in March" on this webpage: "https://finance.yahoo.com/m/febfaddc-df3c-3df5-bcaa-e7b10709cb22/gold-snaps-3-session-win.html

Do you think "added" is correctly used in the above sentence? Shouldn't it be "263,000 jobs were added to the private sector in March"?

Or, do you think that the author used the verb in a non-conventional but still acceptable way?

More context:

The private sector
... See more
I read this sentence "The private sector added 263,000 jobs in March" on this webpage: "https://finance.yahoo.com/m/febfaddc-df3c-3df5-bcaa-e7b10709cb22/gold-snaps-3-session-win.html

Do you think "added" is correctly used in the above sentence? Shouldn't it be "263,000 jobs were added to the private sector in March"?

Or, do you think that the author used the verb in a non-conventional but still acceptable way?

More context:

The private sector added 263,000 jobs in March, according to a report released by Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP). The employment reading outpaced economists’ average forecasts of 170,000, and highlighted a continued a pace of healthy labor-market growth.

[Edited at 2017-04-05 19:40 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not really Apr 5, 2017

It's the language of financial markets journalism. There's a lot of jargon-ridden shorthand. But yes it's a little odd if you think too much about it.

T o b i a s

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Neither illogical nor trendy Apr 5, 2017

It's just plain sloppy journalistic writing - and that's been a trend for so many decades now that it's no longer trendy!

RL

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 13:31
English to German
Agree Apr 5, 2017

At university we were told that the English language likes inanimate subjects and the standard example used was "the hotel sleeps 100 guests"... We had entire lessons revolving around how best to translate that structure into German

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Chris, Robin Levey, and Nina Esser Apr 5, 2017

Your guys all gave enlightening opinions and I'm feeling less bothered about it now.

[Edited at 2017-04-05 22:56 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Trouble is, we only like some... Apr 6, 2017

Nina Esser wrote:

At university we were told that the English language likes inanimate subjects and the standard example used was "the hotel sleeps 100 guests"... We had entire lessons revolving around how best to translate that structure into German

While we're quite happy with hotels sleeping guests and their restaurants seating them... it can be too much of a good thing. Some inanimate subjects just sound wrong to me anyway, and I don't know why. I frequently rephrase sentences that use them when translated directly from Danish, where they are quite acceptable.

I don't immediately like "The private sector added 263,000 jobs in March", but you could argue that it was short for a whole lot of other formulations that are clumsier and do not express the meaning any better. I prefer the 'were added to' version.

The fear of using the passive has a lot to answer for. Everything can be overdone, but in its place, the passive is often neater and more sensible than anything else.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
added to Apr 6, 2017

Christine "I prefer the were added to"

Do you? It sounds weird to me.

"Added in the private sector". Maybe. "Created in" ?

ETA: Mind you, I often think "business English" is a language of its own, and I don't speak it.

[Edited at 2017-04-06 08:56 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Variety Apr 6, 2017

I think they do that in financial reports to spice them up, albeit minimally. Gets dreary reading all the same blaargh about how things have increased, risen, fallen, decreased etc. Puts a bit of excitement into number-munching.

[Edited at 2017-04-06 09:26 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Don't "illogical" me Apr 6, 2017

Sometimes it seems to me that in English, everything can be a verb (and a transitive one at that). Recently I had a source text where "to SSL something" was used (obviously for "to transfer something via SSL"). I flagged this but the client said it was ok.

No wonder that my German output often has more than twice the length of the original. If you want to write correct German grammar, you have to write circles around constructions like this.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:31
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
The main subject Apr 6, 2017

The main subject here is the private sector - the emphasis is on the private sector creating new jobs, not that the new jobs just appeared by themselves in the private sector.
It is to read the message besides of the words sometimes.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
For me, this is what translation is all about Apr 6, 2017

I translate stuff like this all the time for a variety of customers with a variety of needs:

The central bank would always want something formal and very precise:
"The number of employed increased by 263,000 from February to March"

The big bank's trading arm has to have it cool and funky:
"Another 263,000 punched in during March"

The rest generally want something succinct and neutral:
"263,000 jobs were created in March"

Ther
... See more
I translate stuff like this all the time for a variety of customers with a variety of needs:

The central bank would always want something formal and very precise:
"The number of employed increased by 263,000 from February to March"

The big bank's trading arm has to have it cool and funky:
"Another 263,000 punched in during March"

The rest generally want something succinct and neutral:
"263,000 jobs were created in March"

There are so many ways to skin a cat.

[Edited at 2017-04-06 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Punched in Apr 6, 2017

Never come across "punched in" before but, like you say, if cool and funky's what they want ...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Skinning a kat Apr 6, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Never come across "punched in" before but, like you say, if cool and funky's what they want ...

As in "clock in"? Ah well, just a hypothetical.

How about one in the style of Katie Hopkins: "Jeremy Kyle's viewing figures fell 263,000 in March"?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Punchy Apr 7, 2017

And it's versatile, too - you could say they "punched out" when you're on unemployment figures. Or mortality tables, come to think of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this sentence illogical or trendy?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »