Thread poster: jyuan_us
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Context is king May 16, 2017

It's difficult, if not impossible, to illustrate the difference between the two phrases without placing them in some kind of context.

Basically, by omitting "it" from the second version, the emphasis of the sentence switches to the component "that". Imagine it accompanied by an eyeroll.

Examples: "The tax office has summoned me to an audit, with all THAT entails." (Accompanied by an eyeroll gesture, indicating exasperation at the inconvenience of having to go there, wai
... See more
It's difficult, if not impossible, to illustrate the difference between the two phrases without placing them in some kind of context.

Basically, by omitting "it" from the second version, the emphasis of the sentence switches to the component "that". Imagine it accompanied by an eyeroll.

Examples: "The tax office has summoned me to an audit, with all THAT entails." (Accompanied by an eyeroll gesture, indicating exasperation at the inconvenience of having to go there, wait in a queue and then go through the ordeal of a tax inspection)

In the scenario described, the component "that" takes on the substantive role of the pronoun "it". That's basically how I would describe it, although I may not be using traditional terminology, I don't know.

[Edited at 2017-05-16 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No May 16, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Perhaps this is a little bold coming from a non-native speaker, but that's incorrect or at least incomplete.
In most cases, you aren't dropping the "it", you're dropping a "that".
I.e. "all that entails" derives from "all that that entails":
all (that) it entails
all (that) that entails

In my opinion, all four versions are acceptable and mean largely the same thing. Whether you use "it" or "that" depends on how "close" you feel the thing referred to is, and whether you drop the first "that" depends on how informal/loose the phrasing is.

I guess you might have meant a slightly different interpretation, essentially an intransitive "all that follows afterwards" instead of "all that results from it/that". But in that case you're still not dropping an "it".

[Edited at 2017-05-16 12:26 GMT]

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Both are correct May 16, 2017

Both are correct, and mean the same thing. When speaking, I would say "with all that entails", probably because it is easier to articulate.
I am a native US English speaker, but agree with Chris S that the example with "all" as the subject sounds strange.
I also agree with neilmac's observations.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"With all that it entails" vs "With all that entails"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »