Ubaydulla Ahmedov
Ubaydulla Ahmedov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 00:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Siblings, no? Nov 3, 2015

Sorana_M. wrote:

There is no connection between the two languages.

May be she thought that as language names look like each other (Romanian and Russian) the speaking is also same?

[Редактировалось 2015-11-03 10:47 GMT]

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 21:27
English to Romanian
No Dec 26, 2015

Ubaydulla Ahmedov wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:

There is no connection between the two languages.

May be she thought that as language names look like each other (Romanian and Russian) the speaking is also same?

[Редактировалось 2015-11-03 10:47 GMT]

Nope, that's not it. We are a small enclave of Latin-speaking people among several Slavic-speaking countries (I mean Romanian belongs to the Latin family of languages, while Russian belongs to the Slavic one). Russia is not far from us.

Another mistake is Romanian-Romani, Romani being the language of the Roma people.

element22
element22
Romania
reply Oct 6, 2017

[quote]liviu roth wrote:

neenee wrote:

"Love" in Romanian is not iubire it is Te ubesc

Out of respect for the community of Romanian linguists, I would not write about things I have no clue of.

„Love” IS „iubire” and „Te ubesc” [SIC!] (correct is „Te iubesc”) means „(I) love you”.

Cu dragoste (with love)

Lee

Sir , it's the same thing "iubire" and "iubesc" ( actually correct from , in modern internet age some of us use "ubesc" like when you say "for real" " fo real ?" shortening of a word or among those lines,internet is really a bad place for speaking gramaticaly correct ,mostly people think it's "cute" to shorten some words )
It's a conjugational verb form . In romanian the word does not stay the same like it is in english . For example :
When you say : I love you / You love me / He or she loves me / This is love
Translation : I "iubesc" / You "ma iubesti" / He or she "ma iubeste" / This is "iubire"

element22
element22
Romania
regarding the discussion Oct 6, 2017

I can tell you for sure that russian and romanian are not alike or simmilar , one cannot comprehend romanian if he/she speaks russian and viceversa. I cannot understand a word of russian or russian like languages as a romanian.

Simply because romanian it's a latin language . Historicaly it comes with the colonization of a ancient country named Dacia by the ancient romans . At the base it is latin with influences . Those influences are regional . For example part of Romania and Rep
... See more
I can tell you for sure that russian and romanian are not alike or simmilar , one cannot comprehend romanian if he/she speaks russian and viceversa. I cannot understand a word of russian or russian like languages as a romanian.

Simply because romanian it's a latin language . Historicaly it comes with the colonization of a ancient country named Dacia by the ancient romans . At the base it is latin with influences . Those influences are regional . For example part of Romania and Republic of Moldova have regional language influences like Polish, Russian ( not acutal russian but something like tartar ) German and Turkish depending of the geographical location . That's consinstent with most european countries when other cultures influence your own, you are adopting some of the linguistics .

So for example in Republic of Moldova you have the romanian language as main language ,because they are basically the same ethnical people with us and you have russian regionalisms. . Though , politically some say it's "moldovian language" but in actuality you have a main latin language,romanian mixed with regionalisms. Like you would have in "Romanian Moldova" which is a regional geographical location inside Romania of today who have the same regionalisms and diffrent accents.
For example : A man from South Carolina and a man from Florida will have different accents but they are both americans and speak the same language .

* And yeah, I think someone previously noted "romani" language isn't related with our language it's a confusing term , I don't know why they chose to name it that instead of indian . It's basically gypsy language and has no corelation to us .
Collapse

ionel catalin
ionel catalin
Romania
Romanian versus russian Feb 15, 2018

Well,I don't believe that somebody who know russian ,automatically will understand the romanian language.
But,if you are romanian and you already learned the russian ,you will observe that both languages have many similar words for similar things.
Nevesta(невеста) mean in romanian ,,mireasa"( bride);but the romanian word ,,nevastă" mean in russian ,,jena"(wife).
The boys in romanian are ,,băieți"(ț - tz) like boeț(боец) -from russian who mean warrior .Also ,,vo
... See more
Well,I don't believe that somebody who know russian ,automatically will understand the romanian language.
But,if you are romanian and you already learned the russian ,you will observe that both languages have many similar words for similar things.
Nevesta(невеста) mean in romanian ,,mireasa"( bride);but the romanian word ,,nevastă" mean in russian ,,jena"(wife).
The boys in romanian are ,,băieți"(ț - tz) like boeț(боец) -from russian who mean warrior .Also ,,voinic" in romanian come from the slavian word ,,voina"(воина) who mean in english ,,war" and ,,voinic" warrior.
For feelings we have from slavian words like ,,dragoste",,,iubire".
Drag(dear) come from the slavic ,,dorog"(дорог,дорогая).
,,A iubi" (to love) come from liubiti(любить).
Well,they are a lot of words in romanian who can be found in russian having the same formes and meanings.But..it is not enough for an russian to understand the romanian language and ,viceversa',for a romanian to automatically understand the russian.
The romanian is the unical language formed on a latine base with a very substantial slavic apport.It is a latino-slavic language.Up to 25% of romanian language words are slavic.In the past they have been much more but in time starting with th 19 siecle in romanian were imported words from italic and french languages and used in the place of the slavic words
Collapse

Ilya Razmanov
Ilya Razmanov
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:27
English to Russian
no similarity at all Feb 16, 2018

stanna wrote:

I am a native Russian and when I was listening in a past my Romanian classmates speaking their language at the ESL class, I did not notice any similarites with Russian language:-))

Personally, I'd say even more: I often can't even understand where Romanian word ends so next word begins (yes, I'm Russian). To me it sounds as absolutely senseless sound stream.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relation between the Romanian and Russian languages

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »