General error when opening MemoQ
Thread poster: GreenUK
Aug 17, 2012

Hello,

I installed MemoQ (initially version 6 but I have since also tried version 5) on my new laptop and haven't been able to open it since. It installs absolutely fine, but when I try and open it I get the following general error message:

TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Dese
... See more
Hello,

I installed MemoQ (initially version 6 but I have since also tried version 5) on my new laptop and haven't been able to open it since. It installs absolutely fine, but when I try and open it I get the following general error message:

TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at MemoQ.Common.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath)
at MemoQ.Common.Application.AppPreferences.load()
at MemoQ.Common.Application.AppPreferences.get_Instance()
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoryManager..ctor()
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoryManager.get_Instance()
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.InitHeavyResourceManagers()
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp..ctor()
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.InitGlobalSettings()
at MemoQ.MainWindow.mainCore(String[] args)
------------------ Inner exception ------------------

TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderAppPreferences.Read3_AppPreferences()

This always seems to happen when the loading screen says "Loading settings... Loaded DLL: Genuine Channels.dll"

I never had this problem on my previous laptop and have searched around online for a solution but haven't managed to find anything. As I have only just installed MemoQ on my laptop there are obviously no current projects saved on here.

Any help in solving this issue would be very much appreciated. My laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit and I have downloaded all available updates.

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Go Kilgray Aug 17, 2012

Maybe you should have loaded 5 first? Who knows?

[email protected] provide detailed help (which you obviously can't see) and excellent site support with 'misbehaving' files.

In this case (general error) I'd guess they are are unavoidable - and you will find them refreshingly prompt and useful.

Good luck
Chris

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Finnish to French
Delete TranslationMemories.xml Aug 17, 2012

GreenUK wrote:
Any help in solving this issue would be very much appreciated.

FWIW, here is the advice provided by Kilgray's Gábor Ugray on the memoQ mailing list, when someone encountered the same error message:

please delete this file when memoQ is not running:
C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\TranslationMemories.xml

After this, memoQ will start up, but the resource console will not show any TMs. Don't worry, the TMs are all there, you can put them back on the list by using Register local.

DOYOON KIM

GreenUK
GreenUK
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion unfortunately did not work Aug 17, 2012

Many thanks for your replies!

I got in touch with MemoQ support and they suggested deleting the AppPreferences.xml file but unfortunately this did not solve my problem. I have now just deleted the TranslationMemories.xml file but MemoQ will still not open and is displaying the same error message.

Thank you anyway. I'm hoping that if nobody has anything else to suggest here, then MemoQ support will contact me again on Monday with further suggestions.

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:55
French to English
Same problem Aug 19, 2012

Hi,

I've had a similar problem twice.

This first time, I had been working on a project where the translation memories and everything else were saved on an external hard drive. The next time I opened MemoQ, I had forgotten to plug the external hard drive back in, and since MemoQ obviously couldn't find the last project and TMs that I had been working on, it refused to open with a General Error. After reconnecting the hard drive, MemoQ opened straight away.
... See more
Hi,

I've had a similar problem twice.

This first time, I had been working on a project where the translation memories and everything else were saved on an external hard drive. The next time I opened MemoQ, I had forgotten to plug the external hard drive back in, and since MemoQ obviously couldn't find the last project and TMs that I had been working on, it refused to open with a General Error. After reconnecting the hard drive, MemoQ opened straight away.

The second time, I was using MemoQ when my computer suddenly crashed. Ever since, I've been unable to get MemoQ to work and I get an identical error code to yours. I've scoured the Internet in search of possible workarounds (including the ones posted in this thread), all to no avail. I've even tried deleting and reinstalling MemoQ, but still no joy, which makes me think I must have a corrupt file somewhere (either a MemoQ file or a Windows system file).

I must admit that I haven't had time yet to contact Kilgray, but if you do get a solution to your particular problem, could you post it here please?

Good luck!

Simon
Collapse

GreenUK
GreenUK
TOPIC STARTER
Reply with answer Aug 19, 2012

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I still haven't managed to get MemoQ to work but am aiming to get back in touch with the support team tomorrow to try and resolve my issue. I'll be sure to post any suggestions I receive from them on here as it seems I'm not the only one having this problem.

GreenUK
GreenUK
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Sep 2, 2012

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay but I've been on holiday and only just had chance to get my issue with memoQ resolved. In the end the support team were extremely helpful and took remote control of my laptop and solved the issue themselves. It seemed to be a matter of reinstalling the software and deleting a specific file (unfortunately I didn't catch which file in particular). My advice to anyone still experiencing problems is to contact the support team directly as they are ex
... See more
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay but I've been on holiday and only just had chance to get my issue with memoQ resolved. In the end the support team were extremely helpful and took remote control of my laptop and solved the issue themselves. It seemed to be a matter of reinstalling the software and deleting a specific file (unfortunately I didn't catch which file in particular). My advice to anyone still experiencing problems is to contact the support team directly as they are extremely helpful and efficient.
Collapse

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:55
French to English
Kilgray support Sep 3, 2012

Hi,

Glad to hear you've got the problem sorted. Thanks for the feedback - I'll have to get in touch with Kilgray to get my version running again.

Simon

olga rudic
olga rudic
Moldova
English to Romanian
+ ...
it worked in my case Aug 28, 2014

http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00643/0/General-error:-Corrupt-Monolingual-review-xml-file.html

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:55
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My solution. Oct 18, 2020

I stumbled across this thread while looking for a solution as I faced the same problem earlier today.

None of the solutions here or on Kilgray's website worked. In my case, the problem was happenning only with one project which was the last one I was working on before turning off my computer.

I found the project folder (Documents > My MemoQ Projects > Project Name), deleted everything (including the folder itself) and performed Check Out again and it just worked.
... See more
I stumbled across this thread while looking for a solution as I faced the same problem earlier today.

None of the solutions here or on Kilgray's website worked. In my case, the problem was happenning only with one project which was the last one I was working on before turning off my computer.

I found the project folder (Documents > My MemoQ Projects > Project Name), deleted everything (including the folder itself) and performed Check Out again and it just worked.

I hope this helps other people.
Collapse

DOYOON KIM
DOYOON KIM
South Korea
Local time: 16:55
Japanese to Korean
+ ...
Thx, you saved my life Jul 14, 2023

Dominique Pivard wrote:

GreenUK wrote:
Any help in solving this issue would be very much appreciated.

FWIW, here is the advice provided by Kilgray's Gábor Ugray on the memoQ mailing list, when someone encountered the same error message:

please delete this file when memoQ is not running:
C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\TranslationMemories.xml

After this, memoQ will start up, but the resource console will not show any TMs. Don't worry, the TMs are all there, you can put them back on the list by using Register local.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General error when opening MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »