bold/italics format inactive (grayed out)
Thread poster: Irina Smaga
Irina Smaga
Irina Smaga
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2016

Hi.
I received a project for test translation and can't edit basic format in it. Bold/italics/underlining are inactive, only Toggle Case works. Does anyone know what may be the reason for it?

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
join&split segments? Oct 5, 2016

Irina Smaga wrote:

Hi.
I received a project for test translation and can't edit basic format in it. Bold/italics/underlining are inactive, only Toggle Case works. Does anyone know what may be the reason for it?

I haven't experienced this problem but for a few times, I had similar problems when I joined and/or split the relevant segments. This is not the answer to your question but I hope this helps.

Elif

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
File format Oct 6, 2016

It means that your document format does not support such text formatting. It could be xml for example.

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:16
English to French
+ ...
Document or filter? Sep 19, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

It means that your document format does not support such text formatting. It could be xml for example.

Does it mean the wrong filter was used for importing?
Or is it simply the document.

I have this issue when importing SDLXLIFF into mQ.
When I transfer the document into a LD corpus, all formatting options become available though.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
LD is internal; sdlxliff is 3rd party Sep 19, 2017

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Does it mean the wrong filter was used for importing?
Or is it simply the document.

I have this issue when importing SDLXLIFF into mQ.
When I transfer the document into a LD corpus, all formatting options become available though.

simply the document

To minimize memoQ user's impact on 3rd-party format (e.g. inadvertent applying bold to a fragment that was not originally in bold), memoQ uses plain text (where the whole segment has specific formatting) or tags (where a part of a segment has specific formatting). In this case, you do not need any formatting tools/buttons, but you should use tags instead to keep same formatting in sdlxliff files after translation.
In LD, it uses its own internal (memoQ's) formatting logic that does not suppose exporting to any 3rd party format.
That's why you see different behavior.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bold/italics format inactive (grayed out)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »