Omer Shani  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:51
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jan 26, 2021

Hello supporters colanguages!
I want to import a csv file and apply the multilingual delimited filter and making sure that the Chinese characters (both Simplified & Traditional) will be exported properly and not as Gibbrish.
In the Comma or tab-seperated options, which codepages should I choose for Codepage if not included and for Export codepage from the dropdown list offered for each variant?
If there are other configuration that I should apply, please let me know
Thank
... See more
Hello supporters colanguages!
I want to import a csv file and apply the multilingual delimited filter and making sure that the Chinese characters (both Simplified & Traditional) will be exported properly and not as Gibbrish.
In the Comma or tab-seperated options, which codepages should I choose for Codepage if not included and for Export codepage from the dropdown list offered for each variant?
If there are other configuration that I should apply, please let me know
Thanks!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
UTF-8 Jan 28, 2021

Use UTF-8. Just always use UTF-8.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UTF-8 Jan 28, 2021

esperantisto wrote:

Use UTF-8. Just always use UTF-8.

I always use UTF-8.
I tried using UTF-32 and I tried using specific Chinese-Simplified export settings (Chinese Simplified 2312, 2312-80 etc) and still - Gibbrish.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Where? Jan 28, 2021

Omer Shani wrote:

I always use UTF-8.
I tried using UTF-32 and I tried using specific Chinese-Simplified export settings (Chinese Simplified 2312, 2312-80 etc) and still - Gibbrish.

Where, at which point do you see gibberish? Share a sample file.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshot of the exported file Jan 28, 2021

esperantisto wrote:

Omer Shani wrote:

I always use UTF-8.

Where, at which point do you see gibberish? Share a sample file.

I see Gibberish after exporting the file into my PC. Within memoQ, the text looks just fine.
It is not a local font issue, for other exported files, on Excel & Word look just fine when I open them.

You can see here an example how do I see it after exporting

zhcn

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
~ Jan 28, 2021

~

[Edited at 2021-01-28 14:22 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Excel or what? Jan 28, 2021

It is not clear how you open the file. I suspect, it is Excel. A very dumb program, like other garbage from Microsoft. Try LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, they open files in UTF-8 without problems.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a csv Jan 28, 2021

Yes, I knoe csv or Excel are not the best formats, but that is what the client is using. I need to align to their demands and not offer them another format which is not recognized from their end

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Program, not format Jan 29, 2021

I was talking about the particular program that you use, not about the file format. Once again: try opening the file in a good program such as LibreOffice/Apache OpenOffice or any good text editor (and no, Windows Notepad is not a good text editor). The screenshot provided implies that the file is opened in a wrong encoding, which is a fault of Excel or whatever program you use.

[Адрэдагавана 2021-01-29 07:01 GMT]

Sam Abramov
Sam Abramov
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Segmentation Feb 4, 2021

Well... I have lots of Asian characters inside my translation. Haven't been an issue since around 2010.
Most latest versions of Excel and MS Word are able to deal with most non-latin fonts surprisingly well.
Wouldn't it be an easy solution for you to just break segments into latin/asian pieces?
You can do it on the fly in MemoQ 8.7.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing csv with for Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »