Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
No Hunspell, No Word, what am I doing wrong?
Thread poster: Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I have tried everything before making this cry for help. I am currently working unsafe and having to export files to spellcheck them as a table on MS Word because I cannot figure out why spellcheck on MemoQ does not work for me.

I do follow the steps, to install/download zip package from MemoQ website, I do chose correctly my language file pt-br.zip, and then I get a message "this is not a zip file"!

I try then to switch to MS Word, it says
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I have tried everything before making this cry for help. I am currently working unsafe and having to export files to spellcheck them as a table on MS Word because I cannot figure out why spellcheck on MemoQ does not work for me.

I do follow the steps, to install/download zip package from MemoQ website, I do chose correctly my language file pt-br.zip, and then I get a message "this is not a zip file"!

I try then to switch to MS Word, it says it is disabled, and does not offer me any way of enabling it.

I do not understand the prompt messages about not being a zip file, when I am using exactly the zip package offered on the link pointed by the prompt...

Does anyone knows how to solve this?

Thank you very much in advance!
Collapse

Hailemichael Melaku
Hailemichael Melaku  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 16:16
Member (2021)
English to Amharic
SITE LOCALIZER
Unzip it Online Apr 26, 2021

If your default zip file does not recognize it, you can try unzipping it from online unzippers like unzipper.com, ezyZip, winzip etc.

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but it is supposed to be a zip, right? Apr 26, 2021

Hailemichael Melaku wrote:

If your default zip file does not recognize it, you can try unzipping it from online unzippers like unzipper.com, ezyZip, winzip etc.

Hi Hailemichael, thank you for your input! But I just do not get it, if I am suppose to enter a zip file, how unzipping it will help? I have actually unzip to folder just to look at its content (several subfolders with several files I do not understand why they all have to do with dictionaries), in an attempt to locate perhaps another zip file that would be "accepted".

I have also seen on the MemoQ webpage I am directed to, there are another type of file for my language, not a zip, tried that, does not work either "it is not a zip".

But maybe I did not understand your instructions...

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Zip-trouble Apr 26, 2021

You should try and look into the zip-file you downloaded. It may be double-zipped.

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks but Apr 26, 2021

Anthony Veretyuk wrote:

You should try and look into the zip-file you downloaded. It may be double-zipped.

Thanks, Anthony, but zip contains only several folders, and no other zip. I have also tried unzip and zip again myself, still get this weird message 'is not a zip file'....

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Corrupt file? Apr 26, 2021

Provide the exact message that you get. Your description implies that the file might be corrupt (as mentioned by others as well). Or, yes, it is not a ZIP archive. Trying to manually unzip the contents may confirm it (and a good archiver such as 7-zip may even repair the archive).

Anyway, you can simply download required Hunspel
... See more
Provide the exact message that you get. Your description implies that the file might be corrupt (as mentioned by others as well). Or, yes, it is not a ZIP archive. Trying to manually unzip the contents may confirm it (and a good archiver such as 7-zip may even repair the archive).

Anyway, you can simply download required Hunspell dictionaries (see this thread) and put them into the spellcheck directory (normally C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\Spelling\Hunspell).
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 26, 2021

Hi Esperantisto,

thank you for your reply. It is interesting to think MemoQ offers a corrupt file on their page to download. I did try all, unzip, zip again, etc. Still I get the message it is 'not a valid archive', but I get further the message the zip does not contain lang-country.aff and lang-country.dic files!

As provided by screenshot, I am fetching the files from withing the MemoQ app, directly to their website, where there are only ONE zip file for each language.
... See more
Hi Esperantisto,

thank you for your reply. It is interesting to think MemoQ offers a corrupt file on their page to download. I did try all, unzip, zip again, etc. Still I get the message it is 'not a valid archive', but I get further the message the zip does not contain lang-country.aff and lang-country.dic files!

As provided by screenshot, I am fetching the files from withing the MemoQ app, directly to their website, where there are only ONE zip file for each language.

I have tried your tip, dowloading from another source at http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/contrib/dictionaries/, and magically it works!

So whatever MemoQ is offering at least for my language, it is not working.

Many thanks!!!

esperantisto wrote:

Anyway, you can simply download required Hunspell dictionaries (see this thread) and put them into the spellcheck directory (normally C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\Spelling\Hunspell).
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Check your Host Apr 27, 2021

It must be hunspell.memoq.com. Probably you use some older URL.
I just downloaded a pt_BR.zip, and memoQ installed it automatically.

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
could be Apr 27, 2021

Hi Stepan,

Thank you for the screenshot! It could be, but I am following the link inside MemoQ dialog box, which leads me to their page with the whole list of languages, whether it is a problem with my language or with the entire content of the page, could not figure out, manual solution suggested worked (don't know how to tag the post as 'solved').

Stepan Konev wrote:

It must be hunspell.memoq.com. Probably you use some older URL.
I just downloaded a pt_BR.zip, and memoQ installed it automatically.

Anna Jaffe
Anna Jaffe
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Download the file again? Apr 28, 2021

[quote]esperantisto wrote:

Provide the exact message that you get. Your description implies that the file might be corrupt (as mentioned by others as well).

Sometimes a file download goes wrong somehow and downloading it again solves all my problems... It's worth trying anyway.

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 28, 2021

Thank you, Anna,

done several times. I have also provided original screenshots...

After reporting it worked - well, installing the zip worked following tips on how to do manually. I have to give up, as it created a 'general error' prompt triggered at every step. Finally, I have now reported the issue to MemoQ support, maybe they want to dig in and let me know what is going on.

Best,

[quote]Anna Jaffe wrote:

esperantisto wrote:

Provide the exact message that you get. Your description implies that the file might be corrupt (as mentioned by others as well).

Sometimes a file download goes wrong somehow and downloading it again solves all my problems... It's worth trying anyway.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Probably they all mean... Apr 28, 2021

...provide it right here for us to understand. Everything goes smoothly and automatically as I described above. You seem to do something wrong. If you could show the message as is, or a screenshot, even better, or the said link where you download your pt_BR.zip it would be easier to help you avoid this situation in the future.
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner wrote:
the link pointed by the prompt...
I mean this link — can you just type it here?

[Edited at 2021-04-28 13:27 GMT]

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Apr 28, 2021

Sorry, Stepan

I wish I was a guy named John Smith to look more credible... LOL I have no idea why I get the impression people assume I am doing "some wrong actions". I keep getting this replies of 'provide exactly' 'provide here', My original message was created along with screenshots that show exactly the prompt messages, I didn't consider retyping them one by one here, I still thinking looking to the windows and prompts I mention helps more.

"At least you should have
... See more
Sorry, Stepan

I wish I was a guy named John Smith to look more credible... LOL I have no idea why I get the impression people assume I am doing "some wrong actions". I keep getting this replies of 'provide exactly' 'provide here', My original message was created along with screenshots that show exactly the prompt messages, I didn't consider retyping them one by one here, I still thinking looking to the windows and prompts I mention helps more.

"At least you should have mentioned your version of memoQ." Thank you for asking, I believe I use 9.3 version, fully updated.

MemoQ didn't do all for me, but the window within software where I am suppose to enable dictionary rejects the very own zip file they tell me to download from their own server. That is how the whole thread begun. I cannot believe I can do much wrong by clicking through the MemoQ prompts, clicking on the actual link within the prompt, pressing OK.

It seems for some reason people cannot see the screenshots, so I am attaching them here again.

In any case, as informed on previous reply asking me to provide things exactly, I have escalated the issue to MemoQ support since after manual installation, I started to get another kind of error message that prevents me to continue working. Currently, I have disabled Hunspell completely. If ever MemoQ support provides a feedback, I will make sure to share here.

screenshots re-attached, thank you.

memo1 issue 1

memoq issue 3

memo q issue current

Stepan Konev wrote:

...provide it right here for us to understand. Everything goes smoothly and automatically as I described above. You seem to do some wrong actions. If you could show the message as is or screenshot, even better, it would be easier to help you avoid this situation in the future. At least you should have mentioned your version of memoQ. My wild guess is that you read some help website for an older version which is not supported any longer. If this is the case, then the outdated link you came across with is quite explainable.
To be honest, I could not find a link to download the zip manually. memoQ did it all for me. I don't even know the path where it saves its downloaded language packages...

[Edited at 2021-04-28 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Much better Apr 28, 2021

Great! It is clear now that you were trying to install a spell checker from a corrupted zip file. I clicked the link from your screenshot (ftp.......), downloaded pt_BR.zip from the list and added it into memoQ spellchecker. No error messages, which means that their server and the zip-file itself is ok. It just got corrupted during the downloading process.
Now can you click on the 'Look for more dictionaries onl
... See more
Great! It is clear now that you were trying to install a spell checker from a corrupted zip file. I clicked the link from your screenshot (ftp.......), downloaded pt_BR.zip from the list and added it into memoQ spellchecker. No error messages, which means that their server and the zip-file itself is ok. It just got corrupted during the downloading process.
Now can you click on the 'Look for more dictionaries online' and check what is there in the 'Host' field? If it is anything other than hunspell.memoq.com, put it right and click Check.

[Edited at 2021-04-28 18:33 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Erlich
Daniel Erlich  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:16
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I figured it out... Sep 29, 2021

By the way, I was having the exact same problems and managed to figure out a solution.

I went to hunspell.memoq.com on my browser and downloaded the dictionary I wanted.
Then I unzipped it to a temporary location, and found the "lang_COUNTRY.aff, lang_COUNTRY.dic file pairs" (in this case, pt_PT.aff and pt_PT.dic).
Then I created a new zip file with *just those two files*.
Then I added the new dictionary to MemoQ using this newly-created "minimalist" zip file, with
... See more
By the way, I was having the exact same problems and managed to figure out a solution.

I went to hunspell.memoq.com on my browser and downloaded the dictionary I wanted.
Then I unzipped it to a temporary location, and found the "lang_COUNTRY.aff, lang_COUNTRY.dic file pairs" (in this case, pt_PT.aff and pt_PT.dic).
Then I created a new zip file with *just those two files*.
Then I added the new dictionary to MemoQ using this newly-created "minimalist" zip file, without any of the other ancillary files (e.g. LICENSES.txt, hyph_pt_PT.dic, READMEs, description.xml, etc.).

That did the trick - dictionary successfully added!

Note: Using MemoQ v9.1.9

[Edited at 2021-09-29 22:03 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Francart

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Hunspell, No Word, what am I doing wrong?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »