Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 26, 2018

Hello everyone using Memsource

Do you know of a simple way to download a project TM (i.e. a TM that contains at least the segments that are fuzzy matches for the current source file), or (better still) how to download an entire TM?

I was faced with this problem recently and the solution I came up with is not ideal. I chose to pre-translate all the files, with a fuzzy match threshold of 50, and then download the MXLIFF file as a joined file. Then I wrote a little AutoI
... See more
Hello everyone using Memsource

Do you know of a simple way to download a project TM (i.e. a TM that contains at least the segments that are fuzzy matches for the current source file), or (better still) how to download an entire TM?

I was faced with this problem recently and the solution I came up with is not ideal. I chose to pre-translate all the files, with a fuzzy match threshold of 50, and then download the MXLIFF file as a joined file. Then I wrote a little AutoIt script that extract the pre-translations to a tab delimited text file. So now at least I get to see the target texts of the matches that the client believes I would be getting, but not their original source texts.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/memsource_extract_tm.zip

I know that I can list all TUs in a Memsource TM by searching for * or ?, but it only shows a small number of segments per page, and moving to the next page takes too long to use that method to reliably rip the TM.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Jun 26, 2018

I think it works by selecting the document in the Jobs list, and clicking Download > -TMX.
However, if I remember correctly, the resulting TMX was unlike those created in e.g. memoQ, CafeTran or LogiTerm when pre-translating a doc. Will run some checks again now.

I would love to figure out a fool-proof way myself because one amazing thing about Memsource is its ability to handle humongous TMs (and I mean humongous). Memsource can also pre-translate docs very fast, even
... See more
I think it works by selecting the document in the Jobs list, and clicking Download > -TMX.
However, if I remember correctly, the resulting TMX was unlike those created in e.g. memoQ, CafeTran or LogiTerm when pre-translating a doc. Will run some checks again now.

I would love to figure out a fool-proof way myself because one amazing thing about Memsource is its ability to handle humongous TMs (and I mean humongous). Memsource can also pre-translate docs very fast, even if a project is connected to a crazy amount of TMs/TUs.

Just checked, and now I remember the problem. the resulting TMXs don't have the src + trgt of the original TM used during pre-translation, but instead:

the src of your document + the trgt of the original TM, which therefore results in all these fuzzy matches being shown as 100% matches in your CAT tool, which is obviously annoying.

[Edited at 2018-06-26 19:30 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Jun 26, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Yes, there is the option to download a TMX file, but it is a monolingual TMX. It contains only the current source file's source text, and no translatations. I have no idea what this TMX is for (perhaps the TMX file will contain translations once the source file is translated, at the end of the job.

You mention that the download TMX contains the previous target text, but I suspect that is only if you pre-translate the files. What happens if you try to download the TMX file without having pre-translated the files? I suspect it ends up like the TMX file I got -- only the source text.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
this is what I think is going on Jun 26, 2018

If you connect a decent sized TM to yr project, and before translating anything in the web or desktop editor, run Pre-translate, and then Download > -TMX., the TMX will contain:

src: the source text of your document
trgt: any fuzzy matches from your connected TM(s)

~~~~~

If you click Download > -TMX. after manually translating the whole document, the TMX will contain:

src: source text of your document
trgt: al
... See more
If you connect a decent sized TM to yr project, and before translating anything in the web or desktop editor, run Pre-translate, and then Download > -TMX., the TMX will contain:

src: the source text of your document

~~~~~

If you click Download > -TMX. after manually translating the whole document, the TMX will contain:

src: source text of your document
trgt: all your translations

~~~~~

For interchangeability purposes, it would be much more useful if the former exported:

src: the source text of any fuzzy matches from your connected TM(s)
Collapse

mon_mol
mon_mol
United States
Local time: 06:38
unfortunately.. Jun 26, 2018

We use Memsource and unfortunately, if our translators choose to work offline in the desktop version or in another CAT tool they do not have access to the memory or term base etc. The file can be pre-translated in Memsource using the attached TM but the MXLIFF file that you would download would only contain the matches that were found during the pre-translation. Another unfortunate, is that translators cannot attach their own TMs to the project while in the web based version unless they they hav... See more
We use Memsource and unfortunately, if our translators choose to work offline in the desktop version or in another CAT tool they do not have access to the memory or term base etc. The file can be pre-translated in Memsource using the attached TM but the MXLIFF file that you would download would only contain the matches that were found during the pre-translation. Another unfortunate, is that translators cannot attach their own TMs to the project while in the web based version unless they they have their own paid Memsource account and are set up as a vendor vs as a linguist which is free.Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memsource: how to download project TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »