Jarosław Sawiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:34
Member (2012)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 28, 2008

I've recently switched to Word 2007 and noticed that MetaTexis became really slow (advancing to next translation unit takes 4-5 seconds!), much slower than before, using Word 2003. I've tried it with all types of TMs and even with empty bases, and it's the same.
Has anyone experienced the same thing?
And, more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

[Zmieniono 2008-02-28 18:46]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes and no Feb 28, 2008

Yes, as far as I know from the MetaTexis mailing list at Yahoo, all (or most) users of OFfice 2007 experience the same problem. And no, there is no definitive solution for this problem besides switching back to Office 2003.

[Edited at 2008-02-28 19:19]

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Microsoft is to blame Feb 28, 2008

The performance problem with Word 2007 is a know issue - and there is no solution except for switching back to Word 2003, I'm afraid.

The cause of the error is that the VBA engine of Microsoft itself works much slower in Word 2007 than in the earlier Word versions. And not only Metatexis, but also the other add-ins like Wordfast and TRADOS suffer from this.

Why Microsoft had slowed down the VBA engine in Office 2007 I do not know. And when and if Microsoft will ever pro
... See more
The performance problem with Word 2007 is a know issue - and there is no solution except for switching back to Word 2003, I'm afraid.

The cause of the error is that the VBA engine of Microsoft itself works much slower in Word 2007 than in the earlier Word versions. And not only Metatexis, but also the other add-ins like Wordfast and TRADOS suffer from this.

Why Microsoft had slowed down the VBA engine in Office 2007 I do not know. And when and if Microsoft will ever provide a fix for this, well, who knows...

Hermann
Collapse

Jarosław Sawiuk
Jarosław Sawiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2012)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Feb 28, 2008

Thanks, this was very helpful, albeit pretty sad.

Doris Kouba
Doris Kouba
English to German
+ ...
Metatexis with Word 2007 Jul 31, 2008

Wasn't there anything fixed in the meantime? Is the problem of slow Metatexis within Word 2007 still existant? Thanks for any hint! D.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MetaTexis slow with Word 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »