Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18] >
Off topic: Which music are you listening to now, in 2021?
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
English to German
+ ...
Feb 22, 2021

Here are a few suggestions to a few good albums/songs I am listening to right now.
You can find them easily on YouTube:

Classic rock: Elton John: "Rock of the Westies" full album (1975); very underrated IMO: takes me back to my early high school days) Favorite Tracks: "Street Kids" and "Billy Bones and the White Bird"

Classic and leaning towards progressive: Split Enz: "Time and Tide" full album (1982) Great tracks: "Take a Walk" and the last three tracks as one:
... See more
Here are a few suggestions to a few good albums/songs I am listening to right now.
You can find them easily on YouTube:

Classic rock: Elton John: "Rock of the Westies" full album (1975); very underrated IMO: takes me back to my early high school days) Favorite Tracks: "Street Kids" and "Billy Bones and the White Bird"

Classic and leaning towards progressive: Split Enz: "Time and Tide" full album (1982) Great tracks: "Take a Walk" and the last three tracks as one: "Haul Away," "Log Cabin Fever," "Make Sense of It"

Progressive (light): Fish: "Waverley Steps (End of the Line)" - song from his latest album "Weltschmerz" (2020)
Progressive (light): Huis (Canadian band): "Nor on Earth (song)" - song from their album "Neither in Heaven" (2016)

Progressive (heavier, instrumental): Spock's Beard: "Skeletons at the Feast" (song) from their album "Spock's Beard" (2006)

Pretty heavy: Killing Joke: "I am the Virus (Lyric Video)" - song - and "Autonomous Zone" - song - both from their album "Pylon" (2015)

Another interesting rawer version of "I am the Virus" IMO: search for Killing Joke - "I Am The Virus (Marc Riley Session 2/11/16)"

[Edited at 2021-02-22 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
bris97

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:02
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Mediterranean mysticism, 80s prog rock, singing ducks Feb 22, 2021

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
Pretty heavy: Killing Joke: "I am the Virus (Lyric Video)" - song - and "Autonomous Zone" - song - both from their album "Pylon" (2015)

Ooh, Killing Joke, good call. I've just hit all my deadlines after an intense couple of weeks, so here's my tuppence worth. I have just gone back to listen to my copy of Night Time to blast my ears with the boomingly ponderous Love Like Blood and the more ferocious Tabazan. Genuine 80s nostalgia.

Also blasting my ears in a different sense with the late Monserrat Figueras in the Song of the Sibyl (El Cant de la Sibil.la). The album has three versions of this medieval work (Wikipedia here). The Catalan version begins at 31:50 with an instrumental introduction, but her astonishing voice is first deployed in earnest at 34:05.

Just put it on in the background and let it wash over you as evening falls. She is the centrepiece, but the playing from Jordi Savall and others is beautifully judged, and the small choir/chorus is excellent. I first stumbled across this version before Christmas and am still returning to it.

Slightly more recent earworm: odd songs from Freya Ridings. Her unusually deep/rich voice is obvious on the simple Lost Without You, but less so on the bouncier Castles. The Guardian hates her, so she's probably pretty good.

And to go back to early music, I like this version of Dowland's Now, Oh Now I Needs Must Part, performed by the delightfully named Les Canards Chantants on a Yorkshire railway (!), trailed by a lutenist dressed in a manner oddly reminiscent of John Carradine in the 1970s Kung Fu TV series.

Grace Davidson, who is very much of the English school of purity and lightness (if that's how to describe it?), has a different voice to that of the passionate and idiosyncratic Monserrat Figueras, but her version of Now, Oh Now is lovely, and a welcome change from the males voices that understandably dominate the Dowland repertoire.

(One of those male voices is Songs from the Labyrinth, a surprisingly convincing album by Sting, who intersperses the songs with readings from Dowland's letters, which gives a real flavour for his - Dowland, not Sting - struggles for patronage and recognition, which were hindered by his faith as a Roman Catholic in a Protestant England.)

Other random tracks - nothing remotely new, really. Bit of Paolo Nutini here, bit of Snow Patrol there. When my sons watched an X-Men film recently I was amused to find the Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams being used for part of the sound track.

I see I have been listening to a lot of contemplative stuff, but that's usually the case in this season. With spring nearly here, the focus will be switching to more upbeat music soon.

Dan

[Edited at 2021-02-22 08:57 GMT]

expressisverbis
Bernhard Sulzer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ironies Feb 22, 2021

An equity analyst who digs Killing Joke. You and Jaz would make interesting bedfellows, Dan!

This week I 'ave mostly been listening to 90s Radiohead, as I find their uplifting summer anthems the perfect match for my loved-up mood.

As for obscure new music, thanks to Spotify I do now have a weird thing for Nikki's Wives, e.
... See more
An equity analyst who digs Killing Joke. You and Jaz would make interesting bedfellows, Dan!

This week I 'ave mostly been listening to 90s Radiohead, as I find their uplifting summer anthems the perfect match for my loved-up mood.

As for obscure new music, thanks to Spotify I do now have a weird thing for Nikki's Wives, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ufHOxo9DQ&list=PLpjphFD52C7C9AtnL1iPqChA98CM_4Z7Z
Collapse

expressisverbis

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nikki's Wives Feb 22, 2021

I prefer "Lemonade"...

https://youtu.be/PIRoVrq68Ug

Dan Lucas
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Takes all sorts Feb 22, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I saw an interview with him on the telly about the time Love Like Blood was getting some airplay. He was a bit manic and scary. But his/their lyrics were quite thoughtful, if that's the word.

As I may have mentioned before, music-wise I had an eclectic youth. The lads around me all had different tastes, everything from Oi! and Attila the Stockbroker (yeah, the teenager in me still knows all the lyrics to Willie Whitelaw's Willie), through various tribes of metal, to New Wave and prog, so I heard pretty much everything. And my mother herself listened, and still listens, to a wide range of early, baroque, and classical music, as well as folk. The result is that I can appreciate Steeleye Span as well as Slayer, or Leonard Cohen as well as London Grammar for that matter. It's a matter of what suits your mood.

When I lived in Osaka there was a nice little bossa nova cum jazz bar just up the street from me. So that's another influence. Walked in there one evening and the owner was putting on a jazz CD. I liked it. "Standards" he said "but a nice, thick sound." It was those (mostly) Scandi lasses Girl Talk, off their Talkin' Jazz album. The track Girl Talk itself is here, with Estate, another good one here. I play that CD often.

The only album of theirs I have is OK Computer. Bit predictable.

Dan

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bit predictable lol :-) Feb 22, 2021

Oh definitely yeah, I'm not having a dig, Dan. The thought just tickles me: the banker pogoing to the anarchist's anti-establishment polemic.

I listen to all kinds of shit. As in rubbish, not stuff. I've always found the best way with rock music is never to listen to the lyrics. They nearly always spoil it.

It takes real suspension of disbelief now when you go to a rock concert full of bald blokes like me chanting "hope I die before I get old" etc.

[Edited at 202
... See more
Oh definitely yeah, I'm not having a dig, Dan. The thought just tickles me: the banker pogoing to the anarchist's anti-establishment polemic.

I listen to all kinds of shit. As in rubbish, not stuff. I've always found the best way with rock music is never to listen to the lyrics. They nearly always spoil it.

It takes real suspension of disbelief now when you go to a rock concert full of bald blokes like me chanting "hope I die before I get old" etc.

[Edited at 2021-02-22 12:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Dan Lucas
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My piano playing Feb 22, 2021

Practicing Schumann's Kinderszenen. When working I don't listen to any music. But almost every evening concerts of symphony orchestras streamed.

Dan Lucas
Liviu-Lee Roth

RENATO DOMINGOS
RENATO DOMINGOS  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Inspiration Feb 22, 2021

Just good vibes for the ambience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxIlPdX5ZI&list=TLPQMjIwMjIwMjFiHd-Fa2vUKA&index=1

expressisverbis

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 10:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
old fashioned Feb 22, 2021

Just finished a large legal project listening to Paganini's Guitar concertos. Very relaxing.

Yes, I know, I am too old to enjoy the new stuff ...

Lee

expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:02
German to English
+ ...
A cool track Feb 23, 2021

Just one that springs to mind. Others could follow if you're not careful

(And you can't go wrong with Chris' Radiohead.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8UbnYqSFE

[Edited at 2021-02-23 02:23 GMT]

Dan Lucas
expressisverbis

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Recently Feb 23, 2021

David Holmes, Ministry, Charles Aznavour, Tyler Bates, Southern Culture on the Skids, Cave, Lou Doillon, Unkle/Grinderman Hyperwormtamer rmx, The Bees

Sneaker Pimps How Do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peug224n77E

[Edited at 2021-02-23 08:56 GMT]

expressisverbis
Tony Keily

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:02
English to Turkish
Cave? Feb 23, 2021

Jo Macdonald wrote:

David Holmes, Ministry, Charles Aznavour, Tyler Bates, Southern Culture on the Skids, Cave, Lou Doillon, Unkle/Grinderman Hyperwormtamer rmx, The Bees

Is that the American krautrock band? Interesting choice.

expressisverbis

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Think they're from Chicago Feb 23, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Wicked bass line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLoC2fKll0

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Andreas Protar
Andreas Protar  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
My usual favorites Feb 23, 2021

The new year has not brought any new music for me so far, and I am totally not interested in what is 'en vougue' these days.

So, something I massively enjoy is this fantastic re-interpretation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5yuG2LEkf7QA9ZGIXldCmy

Apart from that, what I always like the most:
Some symphonic music, Jean M
... See more
The new year has not brought any new music for me so far, and I am totally not interested in what is 'en vougue' these days.

So, something I massively enjoy is this fantastic re-interpretation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5yuG2LEkf7QA9ZGIXldCmy

Apart from that, what I always like the most:
Some symphonic music, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, U2 and a little Underworld.

As always, I appreciate recommendations though
Collapse

expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:02
English to Turkish
Nice one Feb 23, 2021

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Wicked bass line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLoC2fKll0

I like Cave. I uploaded a few of their songs to Youtube back in the day... Thankfully, no copyright issues.
As for basslines this one has one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OpCrQgIDTQ

Jo Macdonald
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which music are you listening to now, in 2021?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »