Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2020

I am editing a document that was created by someone else.
I have two problems with things that I have used for years without difficulty. I have tried every trick known to me to solve these problems. Sometimes the problem is "solved" momentarily, but when I do some other manipulation (like "find" for a word or save the file), it reverts to the error again.

1. I want to change their style for a numbered list to one with hanging indents (every line is currently flush left). When
... See more
I am editing a document that was created by someone else.
I have two problems with things that I have used for years without difficulty. I have tried every trick known to me to solve these problems. Sometimes the problem is "solved" momentarily, but when I do some other manipulation (like "find" for a word or save the file), it reverts to the error again.

1. I want to change their style for a numbered list to one with hanging indents (every line is currently flush left). When I highlight the section and use the ribbon icon for a numbered list, I end up with NO numbering for the first paragraph; the number 1 in roman type on the second paragraph, and the number 2 in BOLD on the third paragraph. I am unable to get rid of the boldface (which was not in the original), and am unable to get the first paragraph to be included in the list.

2. I have a Style for the bibliography, which is a hanging indent. For two of the items in a long bibliography, one or more of the lines does not hang, and the italics in the text reverts to roman. There is nothing weird about these entries as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:06
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Paste special Apr 13, 2020

If you cut the text and paste it as text only you should be able to apply your Style on the paragraph.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try this Apr 13, 2020

highlight numbered text
press Ctrl+Q
go to Paragraph-Indentation-Special-Hanging
press OK
Save file
proceed with the rest of your edits.

For any other "resistant" original formatting, press Clear Formatting, then apply your new formatting.

[Edited at 2020-04-13 19:04 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank to you both! Apr 13, 2020

Both methods worked! (I never knew there was a "clear formatting" icon up there on the ribbon.) This will save me hours of aggravation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2019 problems with hanging indents

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »