Are there any alumni from NYU's Certificate in Translation Practice in this forum?
Thread poster: Aline Santos
Aline Santos
Aline Santos
Canada
Local time: 01:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 27, 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by the New York University (https://www.sps.nyu.edu/professional-pathways/certificates/language-and-translation/translation-practice.html).

Has anyone ever heard of it? I'd like to touch base with alumni from this course before making a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Wish you all a great day!
Collapse

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Certificate in Translation Practice Apr 27, 2020

Aline Santos wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by the New York University (https://www.sps.nyu.edu/professional-pathways/certificates/language-and-translation/translation-practice.html).

Has anyone ever heard of it? I'd like to touch base with alumni from this course before making a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Wish you all a great day!

Hello @Aline,
I hope you are doing well.

No, I ddidn't hear of this "Certificate in Translation Practice" offered by the New York University .

Hugs

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:43
German to English
Not an alumnus Apr 28, 2020

I have, however, worked with a couple of translators over the years who held an NYU certificate. They generally had better organizational skills compared to others with certificates (non-degree programs) from other universities. On the whole, their translation skills were above average, but it's quite likely that certificate holders are a self-selecting group, so they perhaps started out at a higher skill level compared to other colleagues without training.

Obtaining a certificate
... See more
I have, however, worked with a couple of translators over the years who held an NYU certificate. They generally had better organizational skills compared to others with certificates (non-degree programs) from other universities. On the whole, their translation skills were above average, but it's quite likely that certificate holders are a self-selecting group, so they perhaps started out at a higher skill level compared to other colleagues without training.

Obtaining a certificate or even a degree is no guarantee that the individual will necessarily be a better translator if there is no basic talent or knowledge evident.

The NYU certificate program has been around for quite a few years and a certificate is a recognized credential.
Collapse

Aline Santos
Harvetta Asamoah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any alumni from NYU's Certificate in Translation Practice in this forum?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »