Thread poster: Angela Malik
Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
German to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2017

A certain agency which has already come up once on these forums as having sent loads of unsolicited email to another ProZ member is now spamming the heck out of me. In the space of three hours I have received five emails from this agency, all asking if I am available to work on the same job.

All of the emails are being sent through ProZ's "translation center" which is "powered by ProZ". I won't mention the agency's name but suffice it to say that I don't care how much money they are
... See more
A certain agency which has already come up once on these forums as having sent loads of unsolicited email to another ProZ member is now spamming the heck out of me. In the space of three hours I have received five emails from this agency, all asking if I am available to work on the same job.

All of the emails are being sent through ProZ's "translation center" which is "powered by ProZ". I won't mention the agency's name but suffice it to say that I don't care how much money they are willing to pay or how substantial or interesting the job is or how accommodating the deadline is, I am NEVER working with this agency.

I've gone through my ProZ account settings trying to find the option to opt out of these automated translation centre job requests but I'm not sure where that option is, or even if ProZ has provided such an option. If ProZ doesn't provide this option, I will not be renewing my membership with the site. I did not sign up for spam.

In my email settings I have already blocked any and all incoming email associated with the agency in question so I shouldn't receive any more of that particular flavour of spam now, but I do NOT want to experience this again with any other entities using the ProZ platform. I also blocked any emails coming from ProZ's translation centre. But ProZ should have an option to prevent other users from abusing the platform to begin with! I am so annoyed! Does anyone know how to stop the spam directly on the ProZ site??! And is anyone else experiencing this?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Defend your privacy Oct 18, 2017

You're probably being tracked.

Screen Shot

[Edited at 2017-10-18 08:24 GMT]

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not related (I think) Oct 18, 2017

I think this is a different from tracking programs (those types of programs run on pretty much any website, unless you disable cookies).

I think this particular agency has paid ProZ so it can operate an automated job management system on its platform and use the ProZ directory as its own. The directory is there so people can find us, but it shouldn't be abused.

And generally speaking, if an agency is using ProZ like this, they are not likely to be one that I want to wo
... See more
I think this is a different from tracking programs (those types of programs run on pretty much any website, unless you disable cookies).

I think this particular agency has paid ProZ so it can operate an automated job management system on its platform and use the ProZ directory as its own. The directory is there so people can find us, but it shouldn't be abused.

And generally speaking, if an agency is using ProZ like this, they are not likely to be one that I want to work with anyway, so I'd like to find the option in my ProZ settings where I can opt out of receiving any and all requests from the ProZ "translation center". If someone wants to work with me, they can find me the old-fashioned way and address me directly.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Probably the same agency.... Oct 18, 2017

....which contacted me only yesterday. They already have a profile page on me based on my ProZ one but giving only German-English as a language pair. I used to do some German once but have not done any for several years now as I prefer Russian-English. There seems no way I can change it. An email asking them to do so has had no response, and I too have since been bombarded with job offers, all German-English, and all giving a word count of only one word. I also have decided to have no more to do... See more
....which contacted me only yesterday. They already have a profile page on me based on my ProZ one but giving only German-English as a language pair. I used to do some German once but have not done any for several years now as I prefer Russian-English. There seems no way I can change it. An email asking them to do so has had no response, and I too have since been bombarded with job offers, all German-English, and all giving a word count of only one word. I also have decided to have no more to do with them.Collapse

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YES Oct 18, 2017

Jack Doughty wrote:

....I too have since been bombarded with job offers, all German-English, and all giving a word count of only one word. I also have decided to have no more to do with them.

YES, that's the same one. The requests I received were also for a 1-word job. It's definitely the same agency.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
wow Oct 18, 2017

Angela Rimmer wrote:

I think this particular agency has paid ProZ so it can operate an automated job management system on its platform and use the ProZ directory as its own.

Wow. And Proz didn't ask us if that would be OK?

I haven't be receiving annoying messages as you have, so maybe this only happens to particular language pairs....?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
1-word jobs Oct 18, 2017

Angela Rimmer wrote:
Jack Doughty wrote:
I too have since been bombarded with job offers, all German-English, and all giving a word count of only one word.

YES, that's the same one. The requests I received were also for a 1-word job.

So what's wrong with 1-word jobs? You get to charge 1 hour's pay for one word of translation. Why so unhappy?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
1-word jobs Oct 18, 2017

I would be quite happy to charge one hour of time for translating one word, I might even be tempted to start doing German again on those terms, but I'm sure the agency wouldn't accept them!

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word count not the problem Oct 18, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Angela Rimmer wrote:
Jack Doughty wrote:
I too have since been bombarded with job offers, all German-English, and all giving a word count of only one word.

YES, that's the same one. The requests I received were also for a 1-word job.

So what's wrong with 1-word jobs? You get to charge 1 hour's pay for one word of translation. Why so unhappy?

I was never complaining about the word count -- just the extreme number of emails I received, all concerning the same job and all unsolicited through this stupid translation center powered by ProZ platform.

Does anyone know if there is an option in ProZ to opt out of these messages? I've looked but can't seem to see an obvious candidate in my account settings.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Try this Oct 18, 2017

Angela Rimmer wrote:

Does anyone know if there is an option in ProZ to opt out of these messages? I've looked but can't seem to see an obvious candidate in my account settings.

Hi Angela, see if this helps (scroll down): http://www.proz.com/?sp=dashboard&sp_mode=jobs

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not working! Oct 18, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Angela Rimmer wrote:

Hi Angela, see if this helps (scroll down): http://www.proz.com/?sp=dashboard&sp_mode=jobs

Thanks Mirko,

I saw this page this morning and changed every single setting to "no" or some form of that -- and yet I am still receiving these emails. I just received another one a few minutes ago. Since I have blocked the messages through my email provider, they are now going straight to my "Spam" box, but I am still receiving them.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What did staff say? Oct 18, 2017

Angela Rimmer wrote:
Yet I am still receiving these emails.

What did the ProZ.com staff say when you reported this bug?

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Poster flags and filters Oct 18, 2017

In the link to the jobs dashboard posted by Mirko there is a second tab Poster flags and filters via which you can filter and block particular posters and outsourcers, meaning you should never get more than one email from a particular outsourcer if you block them the first time it happens (unless of course this blocking feature doesn't work if the emails are sent via the Translation Center ...)

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
This is a known error within the Translation Center Oct 18, 2017

Dear all,

I have checked the Translation Center and there seems to be an issue related to jobs notifications sent by outsourcers using this workplace. The Translation Center is designed to send notifications to those service providers who have accepted to be part of a Translation Workplace. This means that they have accepted to receive job offers from the outsourcer using that Workplace.

Typically, the invitation should look like this:

In this case, however, notifications are sent to providers who are not part of the Workplace used by this outsourcer.

The development team is currently working to fix this issue so that notifications are not sent to providers who have not yet accepted the invitations.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Enrique Manzo
ProZ.com Staff

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Enrique Oct 18, 2017

At least we know this is not supposed to happen.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Powered by ProZ.com" -- Stop the spam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »