How can I enter Romanian characters in Word with English keyboard?
Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
English to German
+ ...
Sep 10, 2003

Buna seara,

I'm still a total beginner concerning the Romanian language, so I have to ask my question in English:

How can I enter Romanian characters in Word without a Romanian keyboard/software? Is there an ASCII or ANSI code which contains them?

Multumesc,

Tanja

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:22
English to Romanian
+ ...
Character Map Sep 11, 2003

Look in Character Map, tool available under
Programs/Accessories/System Tools.
For instance:

î = Alt+0238
â = Alt+0226

You can also use the Copy to Clipboard utility available in Character Map.

However, in order to view tha characters in MS Word, for instance, please note you should use a font having a CE (Central European) branch - i.e. Times New Roman CE.

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
Add Romanian language Sep 11, 2003

You can add the Romanian language to the list of available languages.

In Windows XP:

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab -> Details ... -> Add. Then choose Romanian Language and Romanian Keyboard. When you switch to Romanian, you will have the Romanian keyboard layout (;=ş; '=ţ; [=ă; ]=î; =â). You should print a Keyboard layout as there are some other kayes whose significance chang
... See more
You can add the Romanian language to the list of available languages.

In Windows XP:

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab -> Details ... -> Add. Then choose Romanian Language and Romanian Keyboard. When you switch to Romanian, you will have the Romanian keyboard layout (;=ş; '=ţ; [=ă; ]=î; =â). You should print a Keyboard layout as there are some other kayes whose significance change.

In Windows 98:

Control Panel -> Languages -> {see above}

[Edited at 2003-09-11 08:52]
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Customize Sep 11, 2003

From Insert/Symbols, choose the characters you wish to customize and allocate short keys such as Alt+something, so you can have the diacritics without changing between keyboards all the time.

Bafta si multe salutari!

lucca
lucca
Romania
English to Romanian
Supplemental Sep 11, 2003

Character Map is practical when there are only a few instances of Romanian characters.

Mostly, I use Alt+something. The Microsoft Romanian keyboard wrecks havoc with too many well established characters.

Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
There are ASCII codes for 2 of the 6 special characters Sep 11, 2003

These are the two characters mentioned by Doru Voin above - these are similar to the French a and i with circumflex accents.

The other four would work just fine by customizing your version of Word like Cristina Coblis just explained.

Kind regards,
Veronica Durbaca

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all... Sep 15, 2003

...for your useful tips.

Have a nice day,

Tanja

ION CAPATINA
ION CAPATINA  Identity Verified
United States
English to Romanian
+ ...
All fingers Jun 2, 2016

If you are a fast typist and use all the fingers and thumbs you got, what Dan Ilioiu recommended is great!
Shift+Alt can switch the languages, then you can type fast, knowing where the diacritical characters are, a lot of work for the "Tiny Tim" (Remember the song, Peter Pointer, Bobby Big, Ruby Ring...and Tiny Tim...finger). Good luck!

maxxpaul
maxxpaul
Romania
English to Romanian
renecromancing the dead zombie... Oct 21, 2016

Since this is a post dating from 2003 and necromanced in june 2nd, 2016, and it's still on the first page of the forum, I thought I could contribute a little with my dark magic and renecromance it one more time again (pleonasm intended)
Maybe someone finds this information useful.
I bet the OP must be by now an expert in Romanian and Romanian typing, but still... the easiest way to type Romanian characters in Windows
... See more
Since this is a post dating from 2003 and necromanced in june 2nd, 2016, and it's still on the first page of the forum, I thought I could contribute a little with my dark magic and renecromance it one more time again (pleonasm intended)
Maybe someone finds this information useful.
I bet the OP must be by now an expert in Romanian and Romanian typing, but still... the easiest way to type Romanian characters in Windows 7 and up is to install the keyboard layout "Romanian (programmers)".
This has the advantage of keeping the US layout and adding the specific characters over it. They can by typed using the Right ALT key (a.k.a. Alt Gray/Alt Grey or Alt Gr).
Alt + s => ș
Alt + t => ț
Alt + i => î
Alt + a => ă
Alt + q => â (this is the single one that is not easy to remember, but q is just above a on the qwerty keyboard)
Alt + Shift + letter combination would type the uppercase letter.
Might seem hard at first, but actually it's quite easy to type, because all the letters are in the left half of the keyboard, while Alt Gr is in the right.

If one only types in Romanian and English, that's the only needed layout (no need to switch layout with Left Alt- Shift). On the other hand, for a German person this layout is not useful because it doesn't offer umlauted letters.

[Edited at 2016-10-21 12:35 GMT]
Collapse

emilstanescu7
emilstanescu7
United States
Local time: 14:22
Use this new web site.. Nov 17, 2019

...https://romanian.typeit.org/ . Type your romanian word using the above fonts. Copy the fonts and paste them where you need it in the word, and then copy the whole word and paste it where you need it. Good lock!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How can I enter Romanian characters in Word with English keyboard?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »