With Studio 2021, machine-translated segments in TMX files are no longer marked as AT, but as 100%
Thread poster: Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 20:00
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2020

Hi all,

I have a client who sends me TMX files with every job containing machine-translations (created by the client's proprietary machine-translation engine) of all segments in the job. These segments have a CreationID of "MT!", which marks them as machine translations. Before starting work, I import these TMX files into the TM for the job. With Studio 2019, these segments would appear as AT (automated translation) in the editor, making it easy to see that they are machine translat
... See more
Hi all,

I have a client who sends me TMX files with every job containing machine-translations (created by the client's proprietary machine-translation engine) of all segments in the job. These segments have a CreationID of "MT!", which marks them as machine translations. Before starting work, I import these TMX files into the TM for the job. With Studio 2019, these segments would appear as AT (automated translation) in the editor, making it easy to see that they are machine translations that should be reviewed closely. The client's TM would also contain fuzzies and 100% matches which would be presented correctly as such.

After I upgraded to Studio 2021, the machine-translated segments are being presented as 100% matches, making it impossible to identify them and to distinguish them from real 100% matches during translation work.

As far as I remember, I never changed any settings in Studio 2019 to get it to recognize machine-translated segments and mark them as AT, so I don't know what I can do to get the same behavior in Studio 2021, if anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Problem is the translations are leveraged from the TM Dec 17, 2020

Dennis Boffy wrote:
I have a client who sends me TMX files with every job containing machine-translations (created by the client's proprietary machine-translation engine) of all segments in the job. These segments have a CreationID of "MT!", which marks them as machine translations. Before starting work, I import these TMX files into the TM for the job. With Studio 2019, these segments would appear as AT (automated translation) in the editor, making it easy to see that they are machine translations that should be reviewed closely. The client's TM would also contain fuzzies and 100% matches which would be presented correctly as such.

After I upgraded to Studio 2021, the machine-translated segments are being presented as 100% matches, making it impossible to identify them and to distinguish them from real 100% matches during translation work.

I think you misunderstand something here. As far as I can see the culprit is that you import the machine translated text into your TM. Anything leveraged from the TM as 100% match, is marked as 100%, not as AT. AT means you use a machine translation engine of some sort, which is not leveraged from the TM.

I am not sure how I would handle this, but I would definitely not import the machine translated text into my TM. I probably instead would have the machine translated text open in a separate window of something so that I can check if I like the suggested translation or not, and then copy it into the project.

During the years I've used Studio I have never seen entries from the TM marked as AT, only as 100% or 101%. That also goes for 2019.

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wanted to attach screendump, but... Dec 17, 2020

Hi Roy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, I'm sorry that you don't believe me! I, too, have been using Studio for many years, I know how I have set it up (no MT engine being used, MT TMX files imported into TM) and I do in fact know what I see with my own eyes! Studio 2019 has been working like this all the time I have been working for this client - no doubt about that.

I wanted to attach a screendum
... See more
Hi Roy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, I'm sorry that you don't believe me! I, too, have been using Studio for many years, I know how I have set it up (no MT engine being used, MT TMX files imported into TM) and I do in fact know what I see with my own eyes! Studio 2019 has been working like this all the time I have been working for this client - no doubt about that.

I wanted to attach a screendump that shows how it looks in Studio, but I just realized that apparently you can't attach files to posts here? Anyway, I guess the function marking MT segments as AT is similar to when you import TMX files made by aligning files - as far as I remember, they are marked with "ALIGN!" and are marked as aligned segments, not 100%. So it really isn't that unusual. What is weird is that it worked with Studio 2019 but does not with 2021.

Does anyone else have any input on this?
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Roy Dec 17, 2020

[quote]Roy Oestensen wrote:

During the years I've used Studio I have never seen entries from the TM marked as AT, only as 100% or 101%. That also goes for 2019.

I did and still do.

I am not using any MT, but 2019 automatically translates segments containing only links, and marks them as (a big fat blue) AT.

What is the 'mechanism' behind this one?

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
You misunderstand Dec 17, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I am not using any MT, but 2019 automatically translates segments containing only links, and marks them as (a big fat blue) AT.
What is the 'mechanism' behind this one?

Please reread the first message, and you will see that Dennis Boffy is importing TMX files into a TM and then use the TM for translation. His experience is that these segments are marked with AT rather than 100%. What I don't understand, is how Studio would distinguish segments coming from machin translated segments in the TMX files from those segments that come from a normal translation. I would expect that any segment coming from a TM would be marked 100% or 101%, and not as AT, but according to him my understanding is wrong here.

Robert Rietvelt

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
You probably have to save the screendump as a jpeg file first Dec 17, 2020

Dennis Boffy wrote:
I wanted to attach a screendump that shows how it looks in Studio, but I just realized that apparently you can't attach files to posts here?

You can - see here:
Skjermbilde
But you have to save the screendump as a regular file first.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
You can use pic hosting sites (e.g. imgbb.com) to create a link and post it here Dec 17, 2020

Also, when importing your tmx, could you please confirm that the 'Use information from bilingual file to update TU system fields' checkbox is ticked. It is ticked by default, but maybe you could untick it without notice.

@Roy Oestensen,
I don't have this 'Drop images here' feature either.

What regards the issue, this
... See more
Also, when importing your tmx, could you please confirm that the 'Use information from bilingual file to update TU system fields' checkbox is ticked. It is ticked by default, but maybe you could untick it without notice.

@Roy Oestensen,
I don't have this 'Drop images here' feature either.

What regards the issue, this is how it looks:

[Edited at 2020-12-17 17:50 GMT]
Collapse

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CreationID = "MT!" is the key Dec 18, 2020

Roy, you write that you don't understand how Studio distinguishes between MT contents and "ordinary" contents from TMX files. Like I wrote in my original post, the CreationID (a data field contained in TMX files) of these segments is "MT!", which tells Studio to mark them as AT, not as 100%. I guess the client's system that creates the TMX files from machine translation sets this marker especially to make sure that MT segments are marked as AT.

Like Stepan, I don't have the button y
... See more
Roy, you write that you don't understand how Studio distinguishes between MT contents and "ordinary" contents from TMX files. Like I wrote in my original post, the CreationID (a data field contained in TMX files) of these segments is "MT!", which tells Studio to mark them as AT, not as 100%. I guess the client's system that creates the TMX files from machine translation sets this marker especially to make sure that MT segments are marked as AT.

Like Stepan, I don't have the button you mention to add images - I have no idea why you see this button and me and Stepan don't (where exactly is it?), but my Translation Results window looks like Stepan's with the added detail that in the lower right corner where the name of the user who saved the TU is normally seen, it says "MT!" (to the right of where it says "6/29/2015 1:08:08 PM" in Stepan's screendump).

Stepan, the 'Use information from bilingual file to update TU system fields' check box is checked, but thanks for the tip.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Look at the bottom of the reply window Dec 18, 2020

Dennis Boffy wrote:
Like Stepan, I don't have the button you mention to add images - I have no idea why you see this button and me and Stepan don't (where exactly is it?), but my Translation Results window looks like Stepan's with the added detail that in the lower right corner where the name of the user who saved the TU is normally seen, it says "MT!" (to the right of where it says "6/29/2015 1:08:08 PM" in Stepan's screendump).

The area with the button is at the bottom of the reply window:

Skjermbilde

After uploading the screendump from your PC, you get a link that you can paste into your message:

Skjermbilde

If you don't have this in your message window, there must be something different with our membership in ProZ, I don't know.

Roy

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Functionality should be on its way back Dec 20, 2020

For anyone interested, please see this discussion thread similar to this one, also started by me at SDL's forum:

See more
For anyone interested, please see this discussion thread similar to this one, also started by me at SDL's forum:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/32929/with-studio-2021-machine-translated-segments-in-tmx-files-are-no-longer-marked-as-at-but-as-100
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Image upload apparently for platinum members only Dec 20, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Dennis Boffy wrote:
Like Stepan, I don't have the button you mention to add images...

The area with the button is at the bottom of the reply window...

It is my understanding that this is a platinum feature. Non-platinum members should use a service like imgur.com to upload their images and then paste the link en clare or as an HTML or BBcode link.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not sure... Dec 20, 2020

I have that option and I'm not Platinum...

820d50e5-e7e7-4501-932e-e18dd793400f

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

With Studio 2021, machine-translated segments in TMX files are no longer marked as AT, but as 100%

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »