Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 15, 2021

Hello,

I am using Studio 2021, and recently have been having this problem: I get a Studio package with an xml.sdlxlif file which I then need to save as target and send to my client.
The problem is that the file I save changes the position of certain type of tags in text. Namely, while in the original file lines end with , followed by in the next line, in my file they are both in the same line.

Example:

Good file:
Nome associado ao endereço do
... See more
Hello,

I am using Studio 2021, and recently have been having this problem: I get a Studio package with an xml.sdlxlif file which I then need to save as target and send to my client.
The problem is that the file I save changes the position of certain type of tags in text. Namely, while in the original file lines end with , followed by in the next line, in my file they are both in the same line.

Example:

Good file:
Nome associado ao endereço do remetente

Bad file:
Nome associado ao endereço do remetente

Any sugestions, please?

Thank you!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:36
English to Russian
&-g-t-; Apr 15, 2021

If you are trying to use > or < signs for your explanation, you should type &-g-t-; or &-l-t-; with no hyphens between those 4 chars (I added hyphens to prevent it from converting into >).
Hwiever, what regards your subject question, if your client prepares packages for you, why don't they sort it out themselves? It's not your problem to fix what they did.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy/paste Apr 16, 2021

Hi Stepan,

I am not changing characters, I am just copying/pasting what I see in Windows Notepad when I open the xml target file.

I do not understand the situation correctly, but my client is asking me to fix this problem (using Windows Notepad, or similar), since other translators are returning faultless xml target files...

For short jobs this is not a major issue, but I often get large jobs from this client, and would like having to fix such issue manual
... See more
Hi Stepan,

I am not changing characters, I am just copying/pasting what I see in Windows Notepad when I open the xml target file.

I do not understand the situation correctly, but my client is asking me to fix this problem (using Windows Notepad, or similar), since other translators are returning faultless xml target files...

For short jobs this is not a major issue, but I often get large jobs from this client, and would like having to fix such issue manually in Windows Notepad
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
&-g-t-; or &-l-t-; Apr 16, 2021

Jose Ruivo wrote:
I am not changing characters, I am just copying/pasting what I see in Windows Notepad
Can you see your both "Good file" and "Bad file" are identical? I suppose there must be some characters like > or <. Right? To make them appear correctly here on this forum, you do need to change characters. Or share a screenshot.
Do other translators use the same workflow? Why do you get a different result then? Maybe you should apply some specific settings?
Trados changes the file structure when you use it for files coming from Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor, for example. Are there any circumstances like this?

[Edited at 2021-04-16 14:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You cannot save xml.sdlxlif as target without original xml Apr 16, 2021

Unless you have an original file in your Studio package, you cannot save xml.sdlxlif as target.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hum.. Apr 16, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Unless you have an original file in your Studio package, you cannot save xml.sdlxlif as target.

Just checked the studio package again, no .xml files there, only .xml.sdlxliff. When I order Studio to save as target, it does produce an xml file which has only my translation, not the original EN text.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshots Apr 16, 2021

Jose Ruivo wrote:

Hi Stepan,

For short jobs this is not a major issue, but I often get large jobs from this client, and would like having to fix such issue manually in Windows Notepad

Bad file:
badfile

Good file:
goodfile

[Edited at 2021-04-16 15:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broken tag in xml file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »