Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
which software can I use to embed subtitles ?
Thread poster: kelly33
kelly33
kelly33
Local time: 15:56
English to French
May 8, 2009

Hello,

I am currently subtitling a documentary from EN into FR for my final dissertation. I am using the software Spot, and I am wondering if anyone knows which software I could use to embed my subtitles into the video ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
Best wishes,
kelly

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
German to English
+ ...
Avidemux May 8, 2009

You don't say what format you want to end up with, but the Home page for Avidemux is:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

kelly33
kelly33
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
format May 8, 2009

well for the moment my subtitles are in .spt format and my video is .avi, I don't really mind which format I'll get at the end as long as I can burn it on dvd.

Claire Chapman
Claire Chapman  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
French to English
+ ...
VirtualDub May 8, 2009

One of the computer lab techs at my local community college recommended this program to me several months ago. I haven't had time to try it out but she used it to add subtitles to Japanese music videos. It is free.

"VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear o
... See more
One of the computer lab techs at my local community college recommended this program to me several months ago. I haven't had time to try it out but she used it to add subtitles to Japanese music videos. It is free.

"VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images."
http://www.virtualdub.org/

Virtual Dub Features
http://www.virtualdub.org/features.html

[Edited at 2009-05-08 13:49 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
.spt May 8, 2009

kelly33 wrote:

well for the moment my subtitles are in .spt format

I think you will need to save as .srt, .ssa, or .ass etc for Avidemux and probably other video editors

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Trying to do the same thing, but... May 23, 2009

I got my subtitles in .srt format, but my video is in .VOB and cannot get avidemax to open it. Am I doing something wrong? (iMac user)

Thanks,

Andrea

kelly33
kelly33
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
embedding May 23, 2009

Hi Andrea,
At the end I didn't use avidemux but I tries ConvertXtoDVD 3., I think you can dowload the trial version and it's really easy to use !
good luck
Kelly

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Avidemux May 23, 2009

I have in the past opened a .vob file with Avidemux. Trying to save it (to another format) resulted in the sound being out of sync with the picture though.

If you want to convert .vob to .avi, ffmpeg can do it:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/video/3676195.htm

[Edited at 2009-05-23 14:27 GMT]

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
People seem to do it... May 23, 2009

Robert Tucker wrote:

I have in the past opened a .vob file with Avidemux. Trying to save it (to another format) resulted in the sound being out of sync with the picture though.

If you want to convert .vob to .avi, ffmpeg can do it:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/video/3676195.htm

[Edited at 2009-05-23 14:27 GMT]

Reading around it seems that people do open this kind of file... I must be doing something wrong. Besides, the video I am using as test piece is made of several .VOB files (all stored inside a folder) along with files with different extensions.

A.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Index May 23, 2009

Andrea Re wrote:the video I am using as test piece is made of several .VOB files (all stored inside a folder) along with files with different extensions.

One will be to provide the order in which they are to be played and possibly other information.

Don't know whether you found this on the Video Help forum yet:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic275603.html

I think if you buy DVD movies in the shops with subtitles, those subtitles are often/generally in some sort of optical form – that is if you need to get them into electronically editable text you essentially need ocr software to do so.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some PC experience May 23, 2009

I don't know if that's gonna help at all, but here is some of my PC experience.

I mean IBM-PC compatibles, Pentium, Microsoft Windows, not Apple Macintosh. Maybe you Mac guys can find something equivalent.

Though VOBs are some sort of MPG files, my experience with Subtitle Workshop has shown that MPGs are not reliable for spotting. For some reason, times tend to "slip". So I work on AVI files.

To extract AVI files from VOBs, I use AVI.NET, whi
... See more
I don't know if that's gonna help at all, but here is some of my PC experience.

I mean IBM-PC compatibles, Pentium, Microsoft Windows, not Apple Macintosh. Maybe you Mac guys can find something equivalent.

Though VOBs are some sort of MPG files, my experience with Subtitle Workshop has shown that MPGs are not reliable for spotting. For some reason, times tend to "slip". So I work on AVI files.

To extract AVI files from VOBs, I use AVI.NET, which renders excellent results. By pulling the first VOB of a video on a DVD, it will automatically pick all other VOBs in that sequence and seamlessly splice them together into one complete AVI.

Then there are two possible paths:

a) burning the subs on the video itself, i.e. they will be like VHS; the only way to hide them is by covering the lower part of the screen. I use VirtualDub to do this, with the Subtitler plugin provided by the author, Avery Lee. It uses the SSA subtitle format.

b) for DVD only, creating a subtitle overlay sub-picture video, that can be turned on or off in the DVD player. This is handled by DVD authoring software. Maybe in this case you can just add the subtitles file to the existing DVD structure.

Maybe there is equivalent software for the Mac. All the aforementioned programs may be found via the Videohelp site, so they might point to Mac versions or equivalents.
Collapse

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
No, the video belongs to a client May 23, 2009

Robert Tucker wrote:

Andrea Re wrote:the video I am using as test piece is made of several .VOB files (all stored inside a folder) along with files with different extensions.

One will be to provide the order in which they are to be played and possibly other information.

Don't know whether you found this on the Video Help forum yet:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic275603.html

I think if you buy DVD movies in the shops with subtitles, those subtitles are often/generally in some sort of optical form – that is if you need to get them into electronically editable text you essentially need ocr software to do so.

Hi,

the video is "homemade" by a client and I need to add the subtitles, so it is not something you buy off the shelf.
Andrea

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
DVD player May 23, 2009

Andrea Re wrote:the video is "homemade" by a client and I need to add the subtitles, so it is not something you buy off the shelf.

It may be necessary to consider the specs of the intended DVD player or players to decide how it all needs to be formatted and packaged?

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a clue at this stage May 23, 2009

Robert Tucker wrote:

Andrea Re wrote:the video is "homemade" by a client and I need to add the subtitles, so it is not something you buy off the shelf.

It may be necessary to consider the specs of the intended DVD player or players to decide how it all needs to be formatted and packaged?

They have macs as well and what they do is producing videos, so it should be easier for them to follow my lead (so to speak) rather than the other way around. For now all I have to do is to produce something they can actually see (it is just a sample). Unfortunately they have no knowledge of subtitling (oh good!), so whatever I say it is going to be OK by them (as long as they can open and see the video...).

Andrea

[Modificato alle 2009-05-23 21:00 GMT]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Playing the DVD on a computer May 23, 2009

Andrea Re wrote: They have macs as well...

If they're just going to play the video on a computer, possibly you don't need to do anything particularly special with it. For example, if MPlayer plays a video and finds an .srt, .ssa or .ass file in the same folder as the video file with the same name as the video file (except for the extension), it will automatically display the subtitles.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which software can I use to embed subtitles ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »