Best dedicated software for subtitling for a beginner?
Thread poster: Israel Cortes
Israel Cortes
Israel Cortes
Mexico
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2020

Hello everyone, just finalized my profile here at ProZ, I've actually worked on subtitling some videos before, mostly for educational/entertainment purposes, but I did those on Windows Movie Maker or straight on Youtube, so I would like to know any suggestions for a dedicated subtitling software, I'm not looking for something fancy just functional. Thanks in advance any comment/advice is much appreciated.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
German to English
+ ...
Check forum posts Nov 23, 2020

I don't do subtitling myself, so I can't offer any recommendations, but there have been loads of forum discussions on the subject- and just about anything else you can think of related to translating - so search the Proz forum for "subtitling software" or similar to find the results, and you'll find lots of useful information. An important component of our work is research, so I would encourage you to get good at it starting here.... See more
I don't do subtitling myself, so I can't offer any recommendations, but there have been loads of forum discussions on the subject- and just about anything else you can think of related to translating - so search the Proz forum for "subtitling software" or similar to find the results, and you'll find lots of useful information. An important component of our work is research, so I would encourage you to get good at it starting here.

Best of luck!
Collapse

yam2u

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Aegisub Nov 23, 2020

I suggest Aegisub: it is free, rather intuitive, and has everything you would need.

Gurvitch Dutès
Kristopher Brame
Israel Cortes
Stepan Konev

Hesam Arki
Hesam Arki
United States
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Subtitle edit Nov 23, 2020

Hello,

I suggest using " Subtitle edit". It is free and open source subtitle editor. It's really user-friendly software.

Thayenga
Stepan Konev

Israel Cortes
Israel Cortes
Mexico
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 23, 2020

Natalie wrote:

I suggest Aegisub: it is free, rather intuitive, and has everything you would need.

Thank you for the suggestion, going to check it out.

Maxime Hollanders
Maxime Hollanders
Belgium
Spanish to French
+ ...
Subtitle Workshop Nov 24, 2020

Hello

I personnally was thaught to use Subtitle Workshop, not sure if this is better or worse than Aegisub but it is completely free and quite straightfoward.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best dedicated software for subtitling for a beginner?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »