Issues about Leading/Trailing Spaces
Thread poster: Ömer Melih Aksoy
Ömer Melih Aksoy
Ömer Melih Aksoy
Local time: 21:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2012

Hello, I use Swordfish III on Mac OS X Lion.

I'll cut short to the problems I have.

1) I normally translate the segment and put the leading and trailing spaces. But when I approve and leave the segment, and go back, the leading and trailing spaces that I had mirrored from the source are nowhere to be found. I am really scared out of the results I will get. Because it is a copy deck of a website, there is too much sheets to check and eventually miss some of the errors,
... See more
Hello, I use Swordfish III on Mac OS X Lion.

I'll cut short to the problems I have.

1) I normally translate the segment and put the leading and trailing spaces. But when I approve and leave the segment, and go back, the leading and trailing spaces that I had mirrored from the source are nowhere to be found. I am really scared out of the results I will get. Because it is a copy deck of a website, there is too much sheets to check and eventually miss some of the errors, and the resulted QA will be very defected.

2) When the automatic leading trailing spaces check option is up and running. I translate the segment as usual, I mirror leading/trailing spaces as the source segment. Sometimes the segments does not approve because the checking is quite faulty. I am sure that I had mirrored the leading/trailing spaces.

Because of this I became a segmentation monkey; editing source text, merging and splitting segments and such.

Is there any option for translating excel files, segmented as cell by cell? How does paragraph segmentation work?
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
English to Spanish
Spaces are irrelevant in web pages Aug 18, 2012

1) I normally translate the segment and put the leading and trailing spaces. But when I approve and leave the segment, and go back, the leading and trailing spaces that I had mirrored from the source are nowhere to be found. I am really scared out of the results I will get. Because it is a copy deck of a website, there is too much sheets to check and eventually miss some of the errors, and the resulted QA will be very defected.

Spaces are irrelevant when translating web pages. They can be removed and Swordfish does that automatically.

When spaces are important for a format (Word documents, for example), they are preserved.

2) When the automatic leading trailing spaces check option is up and running. I translate the segment as usual, I mirror leading/trailing spaces as the source segment. Sometimes the segments does not approve because the checking is quite faulty. I am sure that I had mirrored the leading/trailing spaces.

There is probably a line feed at the end of source. They are hard to see. Just add an enter to the target.

Because of this I became a segmentation monkey; editing source text, merging and splitting segments and such.

Don't waste your time doing that. Disable space checking and translate.

Is there any option for translating excel files, segmented as cell by cell? How does paragraph segmentation work?

Swordfish segments by cell. If a cell contains multiple sentences, they are sent to multiple segments. If you select paragraph segmentation, all sentences will be placed in one segment.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Ömer Melih Aksoy
Ömer Melih Aksoy
Local time: 21:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 22, 2012

I hit the enter button but still no luck when going back. Enters are deleted like the spaces.

It is a content of a webpage in Excel format.

Thank you very much for your help.

[Edited at 2012-08-22 01:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues about Leading/Trailing Spaces

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »