Thread poster: Carole Lesimple
Carole Lesimple
Carole Lesimple  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:19
English to French
Oct 24, 2012

Hi everybody,

I have a client requesting a character length verification in the target text. He doesn't want the target text to be more than 15% longer than the source text.

I went to "options > automatic QA checks > check text length" but then nothing happens.

I've been reading at the tutorial which says that I need to predefine the length in the xliff file. But how can I do this?

Thank you very much,
Carole

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
FWIW Oct 24, 2012

The very similar HTS (Heartsome Translation Studio) has this function in Tasks > Set Target Text Length Limits.

Of course, this function is only available when you have your .XLIFF file open and are ready to translate it.

Carole Lesimple
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
what about Swordfish? Oct 24, 2012

Thank you Laurent.

But what about Swordfish? It does not have this option?

My Xliff file is open and ready for translation. I have tried to activate the option before and after translating, segment approved or not... Nothing happens.
I thought the length of the target segment would display somewhere (in a % would be perfect).

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:19
English to Spanish
Tasks menu Oct 24, 2012

Hi,

Use the "Set Target Text Length Limits" option from "Tasks" menu to limit the text length increase to 15%.

In "Options" menu, select "Automatic QA Checks" and then enable "Check Text Length". This will check text length as you translate and let you know when you have exceeded the established limit.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Edited Oct 24, 2012

-edited as Rodolfo replied to give the full solution-

[Edited at 2012-10-24 14:40 GMT]

Carole Lesimple
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 24, 2012

Thank you very much for your help (to both of you).

Everything's working now!

Cheers,
Carole

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check text length

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »