question re: GST/HST invoicing
Thread poster: Laura Messer
Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
Jun 26, 2015

I recently registered for the GST/HST account. Most of my sales so far would be in the "zero-rated" category since they are to clients outside Canada so I would not charge tax. However, I want to know how best to handle this on the invoice in case I would ever need to show anything to CRA. Also, does anyone have recommendations on basic accounting software that handles sales tax compliance?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Need an accountant Jun 28, 2015

Hi Laura, are you sure you really need a GST/HST account? If you are a sole proprietor and don't expect your income from translation to be above a certain amount, you don't need it. This amount used to be $30,000.00. I don't know if it has been raised and I can't find any mention of it on the CRA website.

What you really need to do is consult an accountant. If you are an incorporated business, that is required by law. But it would be wise anyway because then you can rest assured th
... See more
Hi Laura, are you sure you really need a GST/HST account? If you are a sole proprietor and don't expect your income from translation to be above a certain amount, you don't need it. This amount used to be $30,000.00. I don't know if it has been raised and I can't find any mention of it on the CRA website.

What you really need to do is consult an accountant. If you are an incorporated business, that is required by law. But it would be wise anyway because then you can rest assured that everything is done properly on your tax return. The accountant can also advise you about the GST/HST.
Collapse

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
threshold Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for your response, Tina. I have met the sales threshold which required me to sign up for the account.

I was hoping some other folks here would have some experience with invoicing for zero-rated items as accountants' usefulness can be limited if a question is outside their area of expertise. I am a sole proprietor but will consult one for this question if necessary.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:02
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Include the GST number on the invoice Jan 4, 2017

Wading in a bit late here, but for future reference, I just leave the tax lines blank and put my GST number on every invoice.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:02
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 4, 2017

NancyLynn wrote:

Wading in a bit late here, but for future reference, I just leave the tax lines blank and put my GST number on every invoice.

I agree, but also make sure the foreign address appears on the invoice. You should also keep in your records the order from the foreign buyer or other proof of export.

I have had three sales tax audits over the years, and what the auditor wanted was the GST number on the invoice and the proof of export. With that proof (which I had) there was no problem - in fact they found I had overpaid and they owed me a small refund.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question re: GST/HST invoicing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »