" Accredited " translator
Thread poster: happydolphins
Nov 25, 2015

Hello everyone,

I am going to immigrate to Canada and work as a self employed translator, I know if I want to use the title of " Certified Translator" I should refer to ATIO . but I don't know where to refer to get the permission to use the title of "Accredited Translator"?

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
German to English
+ ...
question Nov 26, 2015

What do you mean by accredited? Accredited by whom? The only accreditation that I know of off-hand in Canada is with the Translation Bureau (federal).

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
for immigration application Nov 26, 2015

Do you need this title for your immigration application?

See this discussion about requirements for documents submitted with visa applications (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-is-the-official-definition-of-accredited-translator-t64907.0.html). I would take
... See more

See this discussion about requirements for documents submitted with visa applications (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-is-the-official-definition-of-accredited-translator-t64907.0.html). I would take this to mean a translation certification obtained outside Canada, such as in your current country of residence. As you mentioned in your post, only translators who are certified through a Canadian translators' association can use the title "certified translator" in Canada.

[Edited at 2015-11-26 14:55 GMT]

If anyone else has the exact definition, please weigh in.

[Edited at 2015-11-26 14:57 GMT]
Collapse

happydolphins
happydolphins
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
WHAT IS A COURT INTERPRETER? Nov 26, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

What do you mean by accredited? Accredited by whom? The only accreditation that I know of off-hand in Canada is with the Translation Bureau (federal).

I think I have found my answar, please take a look at this page:
Court Interpretation Services in Ontario
https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/interpreters/

The court interpreter plays an essential role in civil society, by enabling people who speak many languages to participate in legal and other government processes. Court interpretation is a demanding intellectual exercise, whose practitioners require extensive training and a finely-honed ethical sense in addition to a thorough knowledge of languages.

Court interpreters are required to be faithful, accurate and impartial, not only in criminal trials - their most high- profile work, where the Supreme Court of Canada recently reaffirmed these key expectations - but also in the many situations where professional assistance is required to cross the language barrier.

These situations include private litigation (such as examinations and depositions) as well as public proceedings, both judicial (criminal and civil trials), and administrative (immigration and refugee cases, workers' compensation hearings, parole boards, etc.).

The quality of court interpreters' work is guaranteed by their professional certification, sanctioned by the legally- protected title of Certified Court Interpreter. The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) is the only professional association in Ontario empowered by law to confer this title. This title, together with the ATIO Code of Ethics which all Certified Court Interpreters are bound to follow, is your guarantee of excellence and integrity.

A Certified Court Interpreter is an experienced professional, who combines extensive knowledge of relevant fields with mastery of her or his working languages and proven ability in diverse situations. In addition, Certified Court Interpreters are governed by exacting professional rules, including complete impartiality, absolute confidentiality of all information obtained in connection with their work, and continuing professional development.

ATIO's Certified Court Interpreters work in a number of languages. For additional information on their services, and to obtain the directory of ATIO members, contact the Association's Secretariat.

The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario offers you a guarantee of professional quality. For your court interpretation needs, using the services of ATIO Certified Court Interpreters is your best assurance of faithful, accurate and ethical communication.

[Edited at 2015-11-26 20:49 GMT]

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
STIBC Nov 26, 2015

As far as the other post, if you plan to live and work in Vancouver, STIBC (Society of Translators & Interpreters of British Columbia) is the local translators' association.

http://www.stibc.org/

[Edited at 2015-11-26 20:28 GMT]

happydolphins
happydolphins
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
no I do not need this tile for my immigration application Nov 26, 2015

I have applied to immigrate as a self employed translator of EnglishFarsi and now the visa office has requested update from me and a detailed business plan about my intended profession in Canada.

Laura Messer wrote:

See this discussion about requirements for documents submitted with visa applications (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-is-the-official-definition-of-accredited-translator-t64907.0.html). I would take this to mean a translation certification obtained outside Canada, such as in your current country of residence. As you mentioned in your post, only translators who are certified through a Canadian translators' association can use the title "certified translator" in Canada.

[Edited at 2015-11-26 14:55 GMT]

If anyone else has the exact definition, please weigh in.

[Edited at 2015-11-26 14:57 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Could you Nov 29, 2015

Please, make it clear whether you have got an international or a local certificate in translation?

happydolphins
happydolphins
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
Jusy My university degee Dec 2, 2015

Just my university degree is in English Farsi translation. and also i have translated 13 literary books from English into Farsi.

DZiW wrote:

Please, make it clear whether you have got an international or a local certificate in translation?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

" Accredited " translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »