Al Arafat
Al Arafat  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:27
English to Bengali
+ ...
Aug 9, 2016

Hello Everyone!

Recently, I was approached by a small agency, located in South Asia, regarding a business matter. They offered me some monetary benefits if I let them use my address and phone number to act as their satellite office in North America. I have been working with them for a while; albeit they are still expanding, they have been very good in all aspects. Now the question is: if I accept their offer to use my particulars for their purpose, do I have to conform to any federa
... See more
Hello Everyone!

Recently, I was approached by a small agency, located in South Asia, regarding a business matter. They offered me some monetary benefits if I let them use my address and phone number to act as their satellite office in North America. I have been working with them for a while; albeit they are still expanding, they have been very good in all aspects. Now the question is: if I accept their offer to use my particulars for their purpose, do I have to conform to any federal and/ or provincial rules and regulations? Is there anything else that might affect me?

Thank you in advance.

Arafat
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The effects may be enormous Aug 9, 2016

Al Arafat wrote:
They offered me some monetary benefits if I let them use my address and phone number to act as their satellite office in North America.

Now the question is: if I accept their offer to use my particulars for their purpose, do I have to conform to any federal and/ or provincial rules and regulations? Is there anything else that might affect me?

I really don't know the facts and figures but I'd have thought you might become liable for just about anything and everything. You should be taking legal and financial advice, IMHO.

Linda Li
Linda Li
United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Chinese
That sounds scary! Aug 9, 2016

You'd better consult with a lawyer, and it does not sound a good idea to me.

Al Arafat
Al Arafat  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila and Linda Aug 9, 2016

Thanks Sheila and Linda for your concerns. For this moment, let's assume that nothing 'bad' happens from the agency. Do I still need to apply for the 'business Identification number' or "Trade licence" in Ontario/ Canada as the company is already registered in that particular country? I will not provide anything else other than my address.

Thanks again.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
Always sketchy Aug 10, 2016

If ever your business relationship sours, what happens then?

Would you become an authorized signatory? Does that imply liability?

If ever they stop paying translators/go bankrupt, could you withstand the mail/phone onslaught?

Do they expect you to answer the phone?

On what basis would you be remunerated? Would you be penalized if you DON'T answer a call/receive a package - essentially tethering you to your home/office?

Would your
... See more
If ever your business relationship sours, what happens then?

Would you become an authorized signatory? Does that imply liability?

If ever they stop paying translators/go bankrupt, could you withstand the mail/phone onslaught?

Do they expect you to answer the phone?

On what basis would you be remunerated? Would you be penalized if you DON'T answer a call/receive a package - essentially tethering you to your home/office?

Would your status change from 'self-employed' to 'employee' at the provincial or federal level?

There are dozens of virtual offices that offer what they're asking you for - either they think you'll be cheaper or they're business neophytes. In both cases it's not worth the headache.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:27
German to English
+ ...
It just makes me feel uncomfortable Aug 11, 2016

Something doesn't feel right, and I would be leery. Mostly a gut feeling.
Canada has a good reputation, and maybe it's good to be located here, but then maybe the entities who are "located" here should in fact actually be located here.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Need a lawyer Aug 11, 2016

Al Arafat wrote:

Thanks Sheila and Linda for your concerns. For this moment, let's assume that nothing 'bad' happens from the agency. Do I still need to apply for the 'business Identification number' or "Trade licence" in Ontario/ Canada as the company is already registered in that particular country? I will not provide anything else other than my address.

Thanks again.

Be smart, consult a lawyer. No-one else can tell you what exactly is involved, what you need or don't need, and whether it's all above board.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They don't have to have negative intentions Aug 11, 2016

Al Arafat wrote:
I will not provide anything else other than my address.

Arianne has outlined a few situations that might prove extremely problematic for you even if the company doesn't have anything other than goodwill towards you.

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
Virtual office Nov 6, 2016

They may consider virtual office just for address and telephone number.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Satellite office in Canada

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »