Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:59
Member (2009)
English to French
Sep 15, 2020

Hello,

I'm trying to get paid large amounts of Euros in Canada and I'm wondering the best way to proceed.

In order to avoid the ridiculous exchange rate that my bank offers if I do a wire transfer directly in a CAD account, I created a Euro account in one of my banks.

Unfortunately, neither PayPal nor Payoneer will let me take out Euros in a bank that isn't in CAD.

There is always wire transfer, but the cost per transfer for these is around $50
... See more
Hello,

I'm trying to get paid large amounts of Euros in Canada and I'm wondering the best way to proceed.

In order to avoid the ridiculous exchange rate that my bank offers if I do a wire transfer directly in a CAD account, I created a Euro account in one of my banks.

Unfortunately, neither PayPal nor Payoneer will let me take out Euros in a bank that isn't in CAD.

There is always wire transfer, but the cost per transfer for these is around $50.

Businesses are not sending checks anymore either.

How do you usually proceed for this?
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transferwise Sep 15, 2020

A few of my European use Transferwise to send money right into my Canadian account. It still seems expensive, but I believe it is the best way.

Noel McCourt

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
About wire transfers Sep 15, 2020

I'm not sure about a cost per transfer of about $50. Aside from the unfavourable exchange rate, my bank (and all the banks I checked with) charges $14 per incoming transfer, regardless of the amount transferred or the currency. Maybe you could do some further checking because, if the amounts of Euros you are expecting are large, it may still be worth it to do the bank transfers. You could also consider making the amounts even larger by invoicing per two or three months at a time.

John Fossey

Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Paypal Sep 15, 2020

I'm not sure why you cannot accept Euros through PayPal --> your bank account in CAD?
What bank are you doing business with? I'm with Banque Nationale and they accept the funds in Euros.

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal is meh Sep 15, 2020

I can accept Euros with PayPal, but Paypal isn't letting me transfer Euros to a Euro account in Canada.

Once I have the Euros in PayPal, I can exchange them for CAD via PayPal, but I get hit with a pretty bad exchange rate.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What about the other way around? Sep 15, 2020

Receiving a payment from a Canadian agency (dollars or Euros) on a European bank account (in my case Holland)? Or is this a total new thread?

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
New thread Sep 15, 2020

I'd say it's a new thread. I doubt many translators based in Canada have decent info about bank accounts in Holland.

Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I think you right Sep 15, 2020

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

I'd say it's a new thread. I doubt many translators based in Canada have decent info about bank accounts in Holland.

Nevertheless I leave my question there. In Holland we got a saying (freely translated): "You never know how a cow is catching a hare". And actually, you don't. So who knows.

[Edited at 2020-09-15 20:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-15 20:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Similar situation Sep 15, 2020

I can accept Euros with PayPal, but Paypal isn't letting me transfer Euros to a Euro account in Canada.

I accept EUR, USD, GBP and AUD in PayPal, but I can only withdraw in EUR. I suspect this is a limitation of PayPal, in that you can only withdraw in a currency that is your home country's actual currency.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Samuel Sep 15, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I accept EUR, USD, GBP and AUD in PayPal, but I can only withdraw in EUR. I suspect this is a limitation of PayPal, in that you can only withdraw in a currency that is your home country's actual currency.

Paypal isn't the problem, maybe a solution. You live in Holland, but can Canada transfer money through Paypal, and against what costs?

[Edited at 2020-09-15 20:33 GMT]

Cristina Crişan
Cristina Crişan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:59
English to Romanian
+ ...
give Transferwise multicurrency account a try Sep 16, 2020

I added my Transferwise euro account details to PayPal and transferred some funds with zero fees. A transfer from my Transferwise multicurrency account to my local bank costs less than a euro.
However, I'm not sure whether you can add to PayPal a euro account if you're not based in the EU.
Visa cards are also very convenient with PayPal. A transfer to a dollar Visa card costs 2.5 dollars. I had to first write to PayPal customer service to ask them to change the currency for my card
... See more
I added my Transferwise euro account details to PayPal and transferred some funds with zero fees. A transfer from my Transferwise multicurrency account to my local bank costs less than a euro.
However, I'm not sure whether you can add to PayPal a euro account if you're not based in the EU.
Visa cards are also very convenient with PayPal. A transfer to a dollar Visa card costs 2.5 dollars. I had to first write to PayPal customer service to ask them to change the currency for my card from euro to dollar.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:59
Chinese to English
+ ...
Paypal Sep 16, 2020

There is no way to withdraw anything other than your local currency with PayPal as far as I know, even if you have a foreign currency account. You will have to convert to CAD in PayPal.

Payoneer I'm not sure. I've always been able to withdraw USD to my USD account.

Cristina Crişan
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
... Sep 16, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

There is no way to withdraw anything other than your local currency with PayPal as far as I know, even if you have a foreign currency account. You will have to convert to CAD in PayPal.

My local currency is RON, but I am also able to withdraw EUR and USD.

Untitled

I've erased some details from the screenshot above.

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal doesn't work Sep 16, 2020

PayPal doesn't allow me to link a Euro account in Canada.

I'm looking for solutions outside of PayPal.

Cristina Crişan
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
... Sep 16, 2020

Why don't you write to PayPal customer service and ask them whether there's a way to withdraw your money unconverted? That's what I did and they suggested Visa cards.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving Euros in Canada

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »