Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Foreigner registering as self-employed in the UK: help!
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not true Jan 8, 2019

Silvija Matijascic wrote:

---- I was told that I would need a business account to receive payments from invoices...

Not true. I have been using my ordinary account for many years, to receive payments from invoices, and nobody has ever queried it.

Kaspars Melkis

francois_
francois_
United Kingdom
revolut Jan 9, 2019

Max Hellwig wrote:

Hi everyone!
has anyone been in this situation recently? I'm just going through it and Santander now requires a business to be registered to open a business bank account, for which you need to register which HMRC, for which you need a NINo... Feels a bit kafkaesque.

I guess it's too late, but It seems doable to create a revolut business account without a NIN

crobrazilac
crobrazilac  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 19:11
English to Croatian
+ ...
Insanity Feb 21, 2019

This thread has been the most helpful thing on the internet.
I wanted to register as self employed. I needed a NIN. Went for the interview, a horrible experience. The lady there was practically illiterate (she wrote studyed in the description of my status) and didn't want to take any of my invoices, even with the UK address. She even told me I don't need NIN to register as self employed.

So now I'm stuck. I'm waiting for the NIN - it takes up to 8 weeks.
It's just crazy,
... See more
This thread has been the most helpful thing on the internet.
I wanted to register as self employed. I needed a NIN. Went for the interview, a horrible experience. The lady there was practically illiterate (she wrote studyed in the description of my status) and didn't want to take any of my invoices, even with the UK address. She even told me I don't need NIN to register as self employed.

So now I'm stuck. I'm waiting for the NIN - it takes up to 8 weeks.
It's just crazy, I want to start a business here, I want to pay taxes, but they're making it impossible.
I have a Santander personal bank account.
Not sure what to do, to be honest.
Especially if they don't give me the NIN number.

We'll keep you posted.
Collapse

nabbestemmia

nabbestemmia
nabbestemmia
Italy
I am in the same situation today Mar 7, 2019

I am a living in Italy, about to move to London to start a new life there with my girlfriend; I'll be moving to London the next month. The company I currenlty work for asked me to keep working for them, and made me a very good economical offer, which I gladly accepted. Therefore I decided to start working as self employed in UK, and pay taxes in UK since I'll be living there. I opened a Revolut bank account from here to start.
I was told that I should register as self employed to start my
... See more
I am a living in Italy, about to move to London to start a new life there with my girlfriend; I'll be moving to London the next month. The company I currenlty work for asked me to keep working for them, and made me a very good economical offer, which I gladly accepted. Therefore I decided to start working as self employed in UK, and pay taxes in UK since I'll be living there. I opened a Revolut bank account from here to start.
I was told that I should register as self employed to start my activity, but in order to do that I need a National Insurance Number.
I don't have a NIN yet, and I'll be living in an Airbnb to begin with, so I don't think they'll just assign me a NIN because I need it to register as a self employed.
So my questions are:
How can I start issue invoices to my clients if I don't have a NIN and I'm not registered as self employed?
What should I put on the contract I will sign with my customer? Can I put my arbnb address to bill my customers while searching for a new house?
Thank you
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Applying for a National Insurance Number in the UK Mar 7, 2019

You might find this useful: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
It gives details of how to apply if you are coming from abroad.
Best of luck!

nabbestemmia
nabbestemmia
Italy
I've been there Mar 7, 2019

Helen Shiner wrote:

You might find this useful: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
It gives details of how to apply if you are coming from abroad.
Best of luck!

Thank you. I already checked the governative site, but It didn't really clear my mind about what I asked above. I even downloaded the gov app and started to register as self employed, but at some point it asked me to provide a NI number, so I got stuck. And I don't think I can obtain a NI number without having paid bills or having a job in UK, but since I'm in an Airbnb I don't have bills to pay, a rental contract, so I doubt I can obtain my NI number so easily

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
cost of living in London Mar 7, 2019

....is no joke, I as a Londoner was priced out decades ago, and things have only got worse.
Budget 800 to 1000 GDP for a mediocre room in a draughty house; if you think that's excessive, you need to think very carefully about going anywhere near the place.

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Foreigner registering as self-employed in the UK: help!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »