Acronyms Master PRO (very useful to scan/find undefined acronyms in src docs prior to translation)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2018

I recently discovered a very useful tool for acronyms/abbreviations:

https://www.acronyms-master.com/index.html

I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, but I suspect it would come in very handy in our work, when preparing to start on a very large project with potentially lots of undefined acronyms/abbreviations.

It can do many interesting thing
... See more
I recently discovered a very useful tool for acronyms/abbreviations:

https://www.acronyms-master.com/index.html

I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, but I suspect it would come in very handy in our work, when preparing to start on a very large project with potentially lots of undefined acronyms/abbreviations.

It can do many interesting things, but some that stand out are:

(1) scan a Word doc for potential undefined acronyms,
(2) try to help you define them (against personal lists, online searching, black/white lists), and then optionally
(3) automatically insert a table in the doc, or save to a special database for future use.

restable

acrtable

Michael
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to French
+ ...
This does look like a very useful app... Dec 1, 2018

... but the Pro version ain't cheap. And the 3-day free trial period is very short.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
polysemanticism Dec 2, 2018

As for me, an internal glossary/abbr managements in a CAT tool supplemented with free PlusTools, online QTranslate or Lingvo--via a hovering cursor instant translation or Ctrl+C+C--still works like a charm for me)

However, usually there're TENS (not transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) of abbreviations in different fields and areas, so how is Acro-Master any better at telling them?

[Edited at 2018-12-02 20:41 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree, but Dec 2, 2018

Jean Lachaud wrote:

... but the Pro version ain't cheap. And the 3-day free trial period is very short.

I agree that it is not cheap, and the trial period is too short, but having tested a few ‘automatic acronym/abbreviation scanners/extractors’, this one is the best. For example, PerfectIt (https://intelligentediting.com/ ) also has one, but it just isn't very good. CafeTran, and a few other CAT tools also have built in solutions (which is super cool and useful), but again, these aren’t is good as Acronyms Master.

Michael

[Edited at 2018-12-02 23:49 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to French
+ ...
will test, however Dec 2, 2018

I definitely intend to test it, but to test it in a useful manner, I need a project with enough acronyms. I'll look in past projects to find something with acronyms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acronyms Master PRO (very useful to scan/find undefined acronyms in src docs prior to translation)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »