Thread poster: Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
German to English
Jan 15, 2019

Hi,

I've read about both of these resources and I'm not sure which one would suit me best. I feel that Translation Office 3000 seems more relevant. I also offer copywriting services, so would I be able to use Translation Office for the admin of that area too? Is Xero similar in function to Translation Office? Basically, which one is best?

It'd be great to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thank you

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Free trials Jan 15, 2019

I'm sorry, but don't Translation Office 3000 and Xero offer 30-day free trials?

My suggestion: You have already zeroed in on these two products, so try them, and see for yourself "which one would suit [you] best".

My assumption: Nobody other than you knows what suits you best. And best is relative anyway.

The eagle never lost so much time, as when he submitted to learn of the crow. - William Blake

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-15 15:46
... See more
I'm sorry, but don't Translation Office 3000 and Xero offer 30-day free trials?

My suggestion: You have already zeroed in on these two products, so try them, and see for yourself "which one would suit [you] best".

My assumption: Nobody other than you knows what suits you best. And best is relative anyway.

The eagle never lost so much time, as when he submitted to learn of the crow. - William Blake

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-15 15:46 GMT]
Collapse

Luke Hubbard (X)

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I recommend (the desktop version of) BaccS these days: Jan 15, 2019

https://www.ibaccs.com/

Michael

Luke Hubbard (X)
Jakov Milicevic

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the recommendation Jan 15, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

https://www.ibaccs.com/

Michael

Thank you Michael. I'll have a look at this.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
They each have their strengths Jan 15, 2019

Luke Hubbard wrote:
Is Xero similar in function to Translation Office? Basically, which one is best?

We can't answer that. Only you can decide which is best for you. However, I think they are in some ways complementary.

1) Xero is more of a general accounts package of a range of industries, so you can use it for importing or entering the bank account data (reconciliation) that would form the basis for a tax return for a small/micro company.
2) TO3000 is better for quotes and invoices specific to translation (don't think Xero can do invoicing by character, for example, though I assume it has invoicing by word).
3) Xero probably has better multi-currency functionality, whereas TO3000 did not have this when I used it. This can be very useful.

And so on. In the end, I couldn't find one package that did it all, so I use an invoicing/project management package (Quahill) AND an accounts package (AccountsPortal).

Really, you have to try both and use them to fill in a few transactions, create quotes, invoices etc.

Regards,
Dan

Luke Hubbard (X)

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very insightful Jan 16, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:

Luke Hubbard wrote:
Is Xero similar in function to Translation Office? Basically, which one is best?

We can't answer that. Only you can decide which is best for you. However, I think they are in some ways complementary.

1) Xero is more of a general accounts package of a range of industries, so you can use it for importing or entering the bank account data (reconciliation) that would form the basis for a tax return for a small/micro company.
2) TO3000 is better for quotes and invoices specific to translation (don't think Xero can do invoicing by character, for example, though I assume it has invoicing by word).
3) Xero probably has better multi-currency functionality, whereas TO3000 did not have this when I used it. This can be very useful.

And so on. In the end, I couldn't find one package that did it all, so I use an invoicing/project management package (Quahill) AND an accounts package (AccountsPortal).

Really, you have to try both and use them to fill in a few transactions, create quotes, invoices etc.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks Dan, this is really insightful and helpful information. I think I'll try the free versions and see which one I prefer.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
German to English
Take your time deciding Jan 16, 2019

Since you are just starting out, it may be a while before you need to do any extensive management of projects, income and expenses.

It is important, however, to maintain a record of income and expenses right from the start. A simple spreadsheet should suffice until you have multiple clients and concurrent projects.

Luke Hubbard (X)

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 09:56
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Protemos for freelancers Mar 12, 2019

There is another tool for that purpose: https://protemos.com/

It's free for freelancers, paid version for agencies only.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Office 3000 or Xero?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »