Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 21:05
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Figures of speech Apr 15, 2019

@Fiona

The Taliban comment was meant metaphorically. If it offends you, then I will happily withdraw it and replace it with "po-faced humourless fundamentalists".

It's my first foray into this forum, and I am discovering the natural human warmth that oozes from it. When I refer to community, I meant primarily the groups for which I am responsible, and I will happily defend them and offer them up for your inspection, after 5 years of constant input, day in day out, with
... See more
@Fiona

The Taliban comment was meant metaphorically. If it offends you, then I will happily withdraw it and replace it with "po-faced humourless fundamentalists".

It's my first foray into this forum, and I am discovering the natural human warmth that oozes from it. When I refer to community, I meant primarily the groups for which I am responsible, and I will happily defend them and offer them up for your inspection, after 5 years of constant input, day in day out, with almost zero conflict in all that time.

I'll happily requalify "extreme minority opinion" as merely "an opinion among others" if that makes you feel better.

As I said, you're free to steer clear of what you want. But don't judge what you don't know. I have met and shared experience with thousands of professionals, who have enjoyed illustrious careers and are still growing, all through the social media side of my work. If you don't like it, fine, but don't condemn others who do, that's all I say.
Collapse

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:05
French to English
+ ...
@Fiona Apr 15, 2019

"As for the supposed "problem" that many translators - according to you - have with social media, various social media platforms have dynamics that many professionals understandably prefer to steer clear of, me included. Are you quite sure they are the "extreme minority opinion" you seem to think they are? The fact that LinkedIn and Facebook "potentially reach 100,000 people" says nothing about the number of people that prefer not to use such channels".

Totally in agre
... See more
"As for the supposed "problem" that many translators - according to you - have with social media, various social media platforms have dynamics that many professionals understandably prefer to steer clear of, me included. Are you quite sure they are the "extreme minority opinion" you seem to think they are? The fact that LinkedIn and Facebook "potentially reach 100,000 people" says nothing about the number of people that prefer not to use such channels".

Totally in agreement. I have no time for (anti-) social media either. My life is perfectly OK without it and I am quite happy to be part of the "extreme minority" if that is what amorris chooses to call it.

[Edited at 2019-04-15 11:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-15 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
FB communities and time Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

We’re simply informing people of an option, which 25,000 people have chosen.

It's my first foray into this forum, and I am discovering the natural human warmth that oozes from it. When I refer to community, I meant primarily the groups for which I am responsible, and I will happily defend them and offer them up for your inspection, after 5 years of constant input, day in day out, with almost zero conflict in all that time.

Andrew, so you have Morris Traduction (France). So you have a translation agency. How do you have time to deal with so many things: your own agency community and this huge FB community at the same time? 25,000 people ... Wow. Are you the moderator as well? Maybe you don't sleep(?) Although previously you wrote that you slept well...

We are translators but with our own businesses. I don't know how you have time for so many different things at the same time. I think we are speechless here!

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for battles where there are none... Apr 15, 2019

I am slightly astonished by the entrenched positions people take up here so willingly. Defensive, aggressive, deeply suspicious.

This post merely announced the option of joining a Facebook group. That's it. No one is being frogmarched, obliged, coerced to join...

Many thousands have, many thousands prefer not to. What's the big deal?

But then to attack or question its existence, to judge it based on zero experience (of the groups in question), and to seek
... See more
I am slightly astonished by the entrenched positions people take up here so willingly. Defensive, aggressive, deeply suspicious.

This post merely announced the option of joining a Facebook group. That's it. No one is being frogmarched, obliged, coerced to join...

Many thousands have, many thousands prefer not to. What's the big deal?

But then to attack or question its existence, to judge it based on zero experience (of the groups in question), and to seek to condemn the initiator with such alacrity, seems to me odd, to say the least.

Live and let live, anyone?
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Personal Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

@Tom, are you always this blunt and hostile? Lighten up a little. I feel like you're trying to put me in the dock, and I refuse to accept that from someone I've never met.

Please refrain from making personal comments.

Katalin Szilárd
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
How I manage Apr 15, 2019

@Katalin, I've had my business for ten years, and it's thriving, thank you for asking. In fact, this has been my best year ever, with over 60 long-term direct clients, from major museums to international pet food companies, and from an international airline to a whole series of universities.

How I manage my time is my concern of course. Now I am working for ProZ.com and by mutual agreement dedicating a certain amount
... See more
@Katalin, I've had my business for ten years, and it's thriving, thank you for asking. In fact, this has been my best year ever, with over 60 long-term direct clients, from major museums to international pet food companies, and from an international airline to a whole series of universities.

How I manage my time is my concern of course. Now I am working for ProZ.com and by mutual agreement dedicating a certain amount of time to my existing business, as my contract with ProZ.com is initially short-term.

But I am enjoying the new role, and delegating more of my agency work out. I'm pretty efficient and I work hard.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Irony deficiency syndrome. Apr 15, 2019

@Tom, I feel your comment was hostile and blunt. And I don't require permission from anyone to point that out. Thanks.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Personal Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

@Tom, I feel your comment was hostile and blunt.

Please refrain from making personal comments.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
60 long-term direct clients and FB community Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

@Katalin In fact, this has been my best year ever, with over 60 long-term direct clients, from major museums to international pet food companies, and from an international airline to a whole series of universities.

I am speechless.

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Speechless? Apr 15, 2019

Haha don't be. The saying goes, "if you want something done, ask a busy person".

We are energy and matter. The more matter, the less energy, the more we are weighed down. The more energy and less matter, we are free to take on more and more, delegate, supervise, and grow.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The pyramid scheme? Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

Haha don't be. The saying goes, "if you want something done, ask a busy person".

We are energy and matter. The more matter, the less energy, the more we are weighed down. The more energy and less matter, we are free to take on more and more, delegate, supervise, and grow.

Do you say that you delegate, supervise and grow your community's energy?

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Exactly what........... Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

is this supposed to mean??

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Delegating Apr 15, 2019

@Katalin, I don't delegate the community. It's my main role now. I stated perfectly clearly that I delegate my agency work, in the time-honoured way that agencies do. It's not rocket science.

@Jennifer, if it makes no sense, then it suggests we don't speak the same language. Don't worry about it.

I am now going to bow out of this discussion. Its purpose was to offer you an option. You are free to accept or reject that option, but I have better things to do right now t
... See more
@Katalin, I don't delegate the community. It's my main role now. I stated perfectly clearly that I delegate my agency work, in the time-honoured way that agencies do. It's not rocket science.

@Jennifer, if it makes no sense, then it suggests we don't speak the same language. Don't worry about it.

I am now going to bow out of this discussion. Its purpose was to offer you an option. You are free to accept or reject that option, but I have better things to do right now than defending our right to offer it.

Bye y'all.

Andrew
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:05
SITE STAFF
Join the group if you find it potentially useful, if not, don't Apr 15, 2019

Hi all,

I see that the ship that is this discussion has sailed into less than productive waters, so I am going to end things here.

To clarify, I removed several posts earlier in this thread which were off topic, including my own.

To clarify things about the Facebook group: ProZ.com has a Facebook group that has been around since 2009. It currently has just over 25,000 members in it. There is also a ProZ.com LinkedIn group, with roughly 84,000 members in it.
... See more
Hi all,

I see that the ship that is this discussion has sailed into less than productive waters, so I am going to end things here.

To clarify, I removed several posts earlier in this thread which were off topic, including my own.

To clarify things about the Facebook group: ProZ.com has a Facebook group that has been around since 2009. It currently has just over 25,000 members in it. There is also a ProZ.com LinkedIn group, with roughly 84,000 members in it. People join those groups if they want to, and they get out of them what they want to, the same with the forums here on the site. The Facebook group is open, so you can see who is posting what, and what is going on in it, without needing to join first (the same with the forums here on the site). Andrew has recently started coordinating the group, and results have been positive and productive so far. For those who are interested, take a look, and if it looks like something you might find useful, consider joining: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProZcom/

Jared
Collapse

Evelio Clavel Rosales
Andrew Morris

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com on Facebook

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »