How can I view milliseconds in a transcription project?
Thread poster: Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Local time: 00:21
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 30, 2019

Hi there,

I have been asked to transcribe Call Center conversations from wav files to Excel.
Since I haven't done this type of job before and since I need to include everything including milliseconds on the Excel time sheets, I was wondering if there is a software that will

- show milliseconds (working with Windows Media Player)
- automatically convert/help to convert the start and end times so that I don't have to type millions of numbers

Hope
... See more
Hi there,

I have been asked to transcribe Call Center conversations from wav files to Excel.
Since I haven't done this type of job before and since I need to include everything including milliseconds on the Excel time sheets, I was wondering if there is a software that will

- automatically convert/help to convert the start and end times so that I don't have to type millions of numbers

Hope you can help me?

Many thanks in advance
Carmen
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unlikely, I'd have thought! Dec 30, 2019

Since videos work at a rate of 25 images / second, the smallest meaningful time interval is 1/25 sec = 0.04 s = 40 ms — so trying to measure anything smaller than that is pretty meaningless!

Are you sure they're not looking for TIMECODE, which is hh:mm:ss:ff ?

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your reply and input! Dec 30, 2019

Since I have no experience with these timecodes I will have to check with the client as it seems impossible to find a program that does milliseconds (other than an suspicious looking instruction on Youtube)

Thank you very much!
Carmen

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh but it's not a video Dec 30, 2019

Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly
It's an audio file.
Do you think it is still impossible?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
ExpressScribe Dec 30, 2019

Have you looked into using ExpressScribe? It's a useful program for transcription. It enables timestamps in the format Tony mentioned.

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, that looks very useful Dec 30, 2019

Will get in touch with the company to find out more, many thanks for this product suggestion!

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Audacity Dec 30, 2019

Carmen Grabs wrote:

I was wondering if there is a software that will

If I good understand, Audacity (a free software) do it as you can see in the following screenshot. Audacity is very convenient, even if you have to learn a little about it. Take time to read the documentation.

https://audacity.fr/

Audacity

Hope this helps!

Ici la référence en allemand : https://www.audacity.de/

[Modifié le 2019-12-30 16:52 GMT]

Luximar Arenas Petty

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Adrien Dec 31, 2019

many thanks for your reply, sorry for my late reaction.

The client has now - in the middle of the project - cancelled the job and is not willing to compensate me.
So I won't probably need any of the software but it was very interesting to see what is out there

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I view milliseconds in a transcription project?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »