Thread poster: Collin Reyman
Collin Reyman
Collin Reyman  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2020

Hello, fellow translators,

I work as a staff translator for a school district, and we've just incorporated Adobe InDesign into our list of applications by way of which clients can submit their translation requests.

I'd like to know about people's experience with this program: how well it works with Trados, Memsource, etc.

Thanks so much,

-C

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Just one problem with Trados, but it might be solved Dec 3, 2020

I have been using Trados since 2001. In the past, the only specific idml file problem I used to meet, albeit quite frequently, was that the InDesign exported .idml file structure changed with each new version of InDesign but Trados was usually unable to handle such a new version until when a new version of Trados was released. Adobe seemed to release new versions more often than Trados/SDL, so I mostly had to go back to my clients and ask to export an earlier idml version. Lately I am not gettin... See more
I have been using Trados since 2001. In the past, the only specific idml file problem I used to meet, albeit quite frequently, was that the InDesign exported .idml file structure changed with each new version of InDesign but Trados was usually unable to handle such a new version until when a new version of Trados was released. Adobe seemed to release new versions more often than Trados/SDL, so I mostly had to go back to my clients and ask to export an earlier idml version. Lately I am not getting many exported files anymore, though, even if my Trados version is a bit behind (2017). I am not sure if this is due to an improvement in policies, or to the fact that my clients are getting used to saving in compatibility mode before sending them out.

For some reason, I never had this problem with memoQ. But I only have 5-6 years of regular use experience with it.

[Edited at 2020-12-03 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
German to French
MemoQ Dec 3, 2020

works fine with .idml files

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe InDesign

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »