Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 24, 2015

Dear colleagues,
I'd like to ask your help for an issue regarding the installation of NET Framework 4.5.2, required by Trados 2015 on Windows 8.
When I try to install this update with the trados installation, I got the following error message:

"Component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64) has failed to install with the following error message:
"A failure occurred attempting to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2."
The following components fai
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I'd like to ask your help for an issue regarding the installation of NET Framework 4.5.2, required by Trados 2015 on Windows 8.
When I try to install this update with the trados installation, I got the following error message:

"Component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64) has failed to install with the following error message:
"A failure occurred attempting to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2."
The following components failed to install:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64)

I have tried also to install NET Framework 4.5.2 with windows update and with the offline installation pack. However, I haven't managed to install it, because I got another error message saying: "components archive is damaged".

After this, I have run the Windows update repair tool, but I still cannot install this update.
Do you think there is something else I can try?
The strange thing is that Windows runs fine and I can install all the other updates..
Thank you for your help.
Bruno
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
link to possible solution Jul 24, 2015

Bruno Depascale wrote:
...After this, I have run the Windows update repair tool, but I still cannot install this update....

Have you tried this:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is the "Inbox Corruption Repair"? Jul 24, 2015

Patrick Porter wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:
...After this, I have run the Windows update repair tool, but I still cannot install this update....

Have you tried this:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

Dear Patrick,
thank you for your link.
To be honest, I don't understand what this article is talking about. The author first talks about the "System Update and Readiness Tool", which is not supported in Windows 8.
Then he/she talks about "Inbox Corruption Repair", but I don't know where to find such tool. Here are the author's words that I simply cannot understand:

The way this works in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 is different, in a fantastic way. It’s called Inbox Corruption Repair and it brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows rather than requiring a separate download to get the utility like you do now. This is exposed in two ways, the first is really unseen by the end user and happens when we detect a corrupted state when attempting to install fixes via Windows Update. When this happens, we'll fix the corruption silently and then re-install the prior packages. The manual way to use this tool is via DISM. The way this is exposed is via the DISM /Cleanup-Image functionality.

By the way, I've run the command "Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth" in the powershell (This command checks if the corruption is present in your registry, records the corruption to :\WindowsLogs\CBS\CBS.log, and fixes it using Windows Update)..(http://wind8apps.com/windows-resource-protection-cant-remove-corrupt-file/)
However, after more that 4 hours, I still got the message Operation Running [oooooooooooooo ].
I really don't know what else to try. Do you know some microsoft support desk I can talk to?
Thank you,
Bruno

[Edited at 2015-07-24 17:21 GMT]

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
DISM on the command line Jul 24, 2015

Hi Bruno,

It looks to me like what this author is saying is that there is a utility that will check/fix the component store by using the 'DISM' command in an elevated command prompt. This might be similar to what you've already tried with the update repair tool. I don't know how long the DISM tool is supposed to take, but 4 hours for the update tool does sound excessive, even for windows. Although maybe sleep on it a
... See more
Hi Bruno,

It looks to me like what this author is saying is that there is a utility that will check/fix the component store by using the 'DISM' command in an elevated command prompt. This might be similar to what you've already tried with the update repair tool. I don't know how long the DISM tool is supposed to take, but 4 hours for the update tool does sound excessive, even for windows. Although maybe sleep on it and see what happens.

If you want to try the DISM, the author says:

As an example, if you wanted to run this utility against your local component store to check for corruption and you wanted it to repair everything as it found it you would run the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

In case you don't know how to pull up an elevated command prompt, in Windows 8, go to the search icon on the start page and type 'cmd'. When you see 'Command Prompt' right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'. Then I would try and type the command the author recommends, cross your fingers, and press enter. I have no idea whether it will work, and you may want to create a restore point first, or do some other kind of backup, just in case.

[Edited at 2015-07-24 20:49 GMT]
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing.. Jul 26, 2015

Patrick Porter wrote:

Hi Bruno,

It looks to me like what this author is saying is that there is a utility that will check/fix the component store by using the 'DISM' command in an elevated command prompt. This might be similar to what you've already tried with the update repair tool. I don't know how long the DISM tool is supposed to take, but 4 hours for the update tool does sound excessive, even for windows. Although maybe sleep on it and see what happens.

If you want to try the DISM, the author says:

As an example, if you wanted to run this utility against your local component store to check for corruption and you wanted it to repair everything as it found it you would run the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

In case you don't know how to pull up an elevated command prompt, in Windows 8, go to the search icon on the start page and type 'cmd'. When you see 'Command Prompt' right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'. Then I would try and type the command the author recommends, cross your fingers, and press enter. I have no idea whether it will work, and you may want to create a restore point first, or do some other kind of backup, just in case.

[Edited at 2015-07-24 20:49 GMT]

Thank you Patrick,
as I mentioned before, I tried the command "Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth" in the powershell. After more than 24 hours I still got the message "Operation Running [oooooooooooooo ]", so I gave up.
If I try to run the commands "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" or "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" or "/RestoreHealth" in the command prompt I simply got the image version number, and nothing happens..

I think it's simply ridiculous I have to formatting the PC (which works perfectly fine), only because Trados 2015 requires .NET Framework 4.5.2 and my PC doesn't want to install such update..By the way, I contacted the Trados support more than 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting their answer..

[Edited at 2015-07-26 08:08 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Try it offline Jul 26, 2015

Download .NET and install it offline (I see you tried it but did you select the proper language?). :

http://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=42642

Before trying again, be sure to clean every older version, full or partially installed.

Good luck : it should work!

[Modifié le 2015-07-26 09:16 GM
... See more
Download .NET and install it offline (I see you tried it but did you select the proper language?). :

Before trying again, be sure to clean every older version, full or partially installed.

Good luck : it should work!

[Modifié le 2015-07-26 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already tried with the Italian package.. Jul 26, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Good luck : should work!

[Modifié le 2015-07-26 09:10 GMT]

Thank you Adrien,
Unfortunately, I had already tried installing my language..

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I give up and reinstall windows 8 Jul 28, 2015

Dear Adrien and Patrick,
thank you very much for your support on this issue.
Since I've not been able to perform the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2, because windows update doesn't install it, and because the offline installation doesn't work, and after having tried to repair windows update, to repair windows 8 image and to contact SDL support without receiving any answer to my emails in 1 month, I have decided to do the fastest thing: formatting completely my windows
... See more
Dear Adrien and Patrick,
thank you very much for your support on this issue.
Since I've not been able to perform the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2, because windows update doesn't install it, and because the offline installation doesn't work, and after having tried to repair windows update, to repair windows 8 image and to contact SDL support without receiving any answer to my emails in 1 month, I have decided to do the fastest thing: formatting completely my windows 8 installation.
I hope this will solve the issue!
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Wait for WIN 10? Jul 28, 2015

Bruno Depascale a écrit :

I have decided to do the fastest thing: formatting completely my windows 8 installation.

I'm sorry you couldn't find a better solution. But if I'm not wrong you can upgrade for Win 10 tomorrow for free? Maybe a good opportunity?

Best and good luck!

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
non-destructive upgrade to Win 10? Jul 29, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

I have decided to do the fastest thing: formatting completely my windows 8 installation.

I'm sorry you couldn't find a better solution. But if I'm not wrong you can upgrade for Win 10 tomorrow for free? Maybe a good opportunity?

Best and good luck!

Well, at least you've got it sorted out Bruno. Too bad about having to do the clean reinstall.

Good point Adrien about Windows 10, but I imagine there would be a non-destructive upgrade option...possibly.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
too risky Jul 29, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Best and good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am too afraid to using a completely new operating system, mainly because many softwares could stop working properly. I use Across, Memoq, Trados and many others and don't want compatibility issues.
Maybe I'll try windows 10 on my laptop first. I have seen I have 1 year to download it for free..

P.s. By the way, I have formatted my computer and now everything works fine (and faster!), even Trados 2015. It took an entire day, but I hope I won't have any problems for the next year at least!

[Edited at 2015-07-29 13:33 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Non-destructive upgrade option Jul 30, 2015

Patrick Porter a écrit :

... I imagine there would be a non-destructive upgrade option...possibly.

I upgraded yesterday from Win 7 SP1 and you have the option to keep your files and applications. Well, 2 hours later it works and nothing wrong happened. Looking to the Security options, you have the possibility to downgrade (for me back to Win 7) during the next month after activation. So you have time to see if you are satisfied or not.

A big change for the win 7 users, but not for the win 8 ones (the Start button is back...)

With regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 installation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »