upgrade to Windos 10 and/or to Studio 15: in which order?
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:35
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 22, 2015

Hello,

My current configuration is SDL Studio 2014 in a Windows 8 context.

I receive Microsoft's proposals to switch to Windows 10 (for free for how long?);

At the same time I received SDL's proposal to upgrade Sudio 2014 to Studio 2015.
(a 25% discount is proposed until Year's end).

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 first, then to Studio 2015? is it the correct approach? (or the other way around).

Would my other applications be
... See more
Hello,

My current configuration is SDL Studio 2014 in a Windows 8 context.

I receive Microsoft's proposals to switch to Windows 10 (for free for how long?);

At the same time I received SDL's proposal to upgrade Sudio 2014 to Studio 2015.
(a 25% discount is proposed until Year's end).

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 first, then to Studio 2015? is it the correct approach? (or the other way around).

Would my other applications be still valid (Office 2013 etc)?

Thanks for your help,

Have a nice year's end (:

Madeleine
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
A couple of articles for your consideration Dec 22, 2015

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/17/free-windows-10-expensive-secret/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/17/windows-10-new-crash-loops/

Good luck with Windows 10!
... See more
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/17/free-windows-10-expensive-secret/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/17/windows-10-new-crash-loops/

Good luck with Windows 10! (I won't install it)

Giusi
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
other concerns about W10 Dec 22, 2015

thanks a lot for your advice, Guiseppina

you mean that on a quality point of view, it is better to wait before installing Windows 10.

I had also bad feedbacks about a PC's data privacy with Windows 10.

Madeleine

[Edited at 2015-12-22 14:31 GMT]

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No problems encountered with Win 10 Pro and SDL Studio 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Hi Madeleine,

My machines are a desktop PC Intel Core i5-3350P CPU 3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a HP Laptop Intel Core i3, 4 MB RAM, both of them high-speed cable connected (ADSL) to Internet.

First, I upgraded from SDL Studio 2014 to SDL Studio 2015 on both of them and then, after a couple of months, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro (PC desktop) and from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home (Laptop).

I never had to face any particular problem and all is working s
... See more
Hi Madeleine,

My machines are a desktop PC Intel Core i5-3350P CPU 3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a HP Laptop Intel Core i3, 4 MB RAM, both of them high-speed cable connected (ADSL) to Internet.

First, I upgraded from SDL Studio 2014 to SDL Studio 2015 on both of them and then, after a couple of months, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro (PC desktop) and from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home (Laptop).

I never had to face any particular problem and all is working smoothly on both machines. The only initial (and fully solved) issue regarded the upgrade from MS Office 2013 to MS Office 2016 (independent from Windows version).

I do not think there is an optimal installation sequence, the important is to regularly install MS and SDL updates as soon as they are released.

I do not know (as I do not use them) how various wireless drivers/functions/devices work.

I hope this might help you.

Claudio
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Windows 10, then Studio 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 first, then to Studio 2015?

That's what I'd do.
- Deactivate your Studio 2014 license.
- Upgrade to Windows 10.
- Reactivate your Studio 2014 license.
- Upgrade to Studio 2015.

That way you'll be able to keep both Studio versions on your computer.

In theory all programs (such as Office 2013) should automatically reappear when you upgrade to Windows 10. It worked fine for me, and I'm enjoying Windows 10.

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Dec 25, 2015

Thanks again, and have a nice end of year!

Madeleine

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
About Win 10 Dec 26, 2015

Hi Madeleine!

I'm wondering why you could hesitate upgrading to Win 10. If you are not satisfied, you can downgrade (within a month) to your older version (7 or 8). There was a big revision in November and I didn't hear any negative feedback.

The free option is valid until July 2016... so you can wait, but why?

For the privacy question, nothing new...

I do not answer for Studio 2015, I'm not concerned, but I see here and in other forums that no
... See more
Hi Madeleine!

I'm wondering why you could hesitate upgrading to Win 10. If you are not satisfied, you can downgrade (within a month) to your older version (7 or 8). There was a big revision in November and I didn't hear any negative feedback.

The free option is valid until July 2016... so you can wait, but why?

For the privacy question, nothing new...

I do not answer for Studio 2015, I'm not concerned, but I see here and in other forums that no real problems occur.

Have a nice day and Season's Greetings!
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Transparently Dec 26, 2015

Hello Adrien,

In fact , Windows8 applications can probably run transparently in a Windows10 environment, I didńt know! (it was probably not the case for previous Windows upgrades).

I realized that when receiving our nice colleagues answers, thanks again!

About the big Win 10 security warning, it's probably a hoax because I found no confirmation elsewhere.

Thanks a lot and a happy Winter vacation,

Happy new year

Madele
... See more
Hello Adrien,

In fact , Windows8 applications can probably run transparently in a Windows10 environment, I didńt know! (it was probably not the case for previous Windows upgrades).

I realized that when receiving our nice colleagues answers, thanks again!

About the big Win 10 security warning, it's probably a hoax because I found no confirmation elsewhere.

Thanks a lot and a happy Winter vacation,

Happy new year

Madeleine
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
You said it... Dec 26, 2015

Madeleine Chevassus a écrit :

So, upgrade without fear, high recommended for Win 8 users...

Best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

upgrade to Windos 10 and/or to Studio 15: in which order?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »