Difficulty to rename a folder at the File Explorer.
Thread poster: Romeo Baldovino
Romeo Baldovino
Romeo Baldovino
Philippines
Local time: 22:30
Member (2014)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
May 11, 2016

Since I upgraded to Windows 10, I find it difficult to rename a 'New folder' I have created at the File Explorer. It takes several trials to rename a new folder.

Is there anyone here at Proz community who experienced the same problem?

I also hope that someone has found a solution to it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 15:30
English to German
HOW did you try it? May 12, 2016

Romeo Baldovino wrote:

It takes several trials to rename a new folder.

You forgot to disclose, HOW you tried it.

Romeo Baldovino
Romeo Baldovino
Philippines
Member (2014)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details how it happens May 13, 2016

Thanks Rolf.

This is how it happens when I'm at File Explorer:
1. I will click an existing folder where I would add a new folder,
2. Then, double click "New folder" icon in the tool bar at the upper portion of the screen,
3. "New folder" icon would be created in the existing folder selected,
4. "New folder" is already highlighted when it appears so I can encode the name of the folder I want
5. However, while typing the name within 2 or more seconds, th
... See more
Thanks Rolf.

This is how it happens when I'm at File Explorer:
1. I will click an existing folder where I would add a new folder,
2. Then, double click "New folder" icon in the tool bar at the upper portion of the screen,
3. "New folder" icon would be created in the existing folder selected,
4. "New folder" is already highlighted when it appears so I can encode the name of the folder I want
5. However, while typing the name within 2 or more seconds, the name would not be saved and the system reverts the name of the folder to "New folder"

This process repeats in several "trial and error" mode until I succeed which consumes time on my part.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Why double click? May 13, 2016

Romeo Baldovino wrote:

???

Just right click on the folder where you want to create a new folder. In the context menu you have the entry "Nouveau" (in French = New). Pointing on it you have a new submenu Dossier (Folder). Click on it to open a text field Nouveau dossier (New folder) that you overwrite with the new name. Done!

With regards

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Sometimes right is wrong May 13, 2016

Romeo Baldovino wrote:

1. ... 5.

That is ok and should work.

So I tried the proven solution. Type the following into Google:

explorer rename "windows 10"

The very first hit: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/c0780788-aa2d-4d11-a1f4-f3648b540347/cant-rename-file-or-folder-in-windows-10?forum=win10itprogeneral

As usual, in such fora you get many **** answers, because the "helpers" are not able to read the question & understand the problem. But there is at least one answer that looks promising. Unfortunately I can't try that because my PC doesn't show the problem.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10

That's why I performed a clean install instead of an upgrade.

Romeo Baldovino
Romeo Baldovino
Philippines
Member (2014)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help May 17, 2016

Thanks to Rolf and Adrien.

Thank you Rolf for the link you provided. From that link I found out that there are several people out there experiencing the same. I'll try some suggestions and check which one would work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficulty to rename a folder at the File Explorer.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »