Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Can I open an .sdlppx file with Wordfast?
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Ask for an unlimited trial version of CafeTran Oct 14, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
I feel free to advise my personal favourite, CafeTran

That's what Dominique suggested as well. In his October 12 post, he also mentioned the trial version of CafeTran is limited (30 segments), but I'm sure you can ask the developer (Igor at [email protected]) for a fully functional version. I mean, ask for it and get it, of course.

Cheers,

hans

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:03
English to Arabic
Customer Advocacy Oct 14, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Okay, since Wordfast's own Yasmin advised a third party CAT tool in this Wf forum....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_advocacy

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Good advice! Oct 14, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Okay, since Wordfast's own Yasmin advised a third party CAT tool in this Wf forum....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_advocacy

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yes. That's what I understood. And I think it is a good thing to help your customers this way.

Good luck, Yasmin!

Hans

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
English
Or maybe ask your client... Oct 14, 2012

... to convert the files to a bilingual doc using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter which is a free tool available to Studio users through the OpenExchange. You can translate these instead and your client can update Studio using the same tool.

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Best choice for Wordfast Classic user Oct 14, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Or maybe ask your client...
... to convert the files to a bilingual doc using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter which is a free tool available to Studio users through the OpenExchange. You can translate these instead and your client can update Studio using the same tool.

For a Wordfast Classic user (which I believe Armorel is), that would indeed be the best choice. Thanks Paul, for making this simple, yet ideal (here) suggestion!

[Edited at 2012-10-14 22:04 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
.sdltm in Studio package Oct 15, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
Actually I have now managed to open the original file by renaming it as a zip file as Dominique suggested - but (as he predicted) it contains a whole lot of files with the extensions .sdltm, sdltb, .sdlxliff and .sdlproj, none of which I can open.

About .sdltm: it's the native format of translation memories in Studio. If you need to use such a TM outside Studio (eg. in Wordfast), the easiest would be to ask your client to export it to the TMX format. If this can't be done, there's a new script made by Thomas van Nellen that will do the conversion for you. Very easy to use: just drag & drop the .sdltm on the script in Windows Explorer, and you will eventually get a TMX with the same name in the same folder as the .sdltm. If the TM is big, the conversion can take some time, but my guess is that most project-related TM's sent out to translators for reference are not that big.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:03
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2012

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments/advice, all of which I have taken on board. Communication with the client is quite slow - and the issue may have fairly wide-ranging implications for the future - so I don't have any outcome to report at present, but your input has been really useful.

WeeBey
WeeBey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
.tmx? Oct 18, 2012

Hi all,

For a tool as expensive as Trados, surely there must be a way for them to export their TM as a .tmx or .txt file, so that they can be used with WF, right?

That's what I would ask the client, but again, I've never worked with Trados as I don't have a windows OS available so I wouldn't konw what export options it off
... See more
Hi all,

For a tool as expensive as Trados, surely there must be a way for them to export their TM as a .tmx or .txt file, so that they can be used with WF, right?

That's what I would ask the client, but again, I've never worked with Trados as I don't have a windows OS available so I wouldn't konw what export options it offers.

I did find this topic: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155380-how_to_export_sdl_studio_2009_tm_in_tmx_format.html which says it is possible to export a .tmx format TM from Trados.

Good luck!
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
SDLXLIFF is now supported by Wordfast Mar 31, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I think you can change the extension to .zip, after which it will be recognized as a standard .zip file.
This won't help you much (as a Wordfast user), since you will probably find inside an .sdlxliff file (= equivalent of TXML in the Trados world), which is not supported by Wordfast. Other tools support it, though.

Dear Colleagues,

Back to this thread, I would like just to update it as the format SDLXLIFF is supported by Wordfast Pro for some time now. SDLXLIFF can be open with Wordfast Pro just as any other supported file format, and then saved back with "Save Translated File".

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes but Mar 31, 2015

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
I would like just to update it as the format SDLXLIFF is supported by Wordfast Pro for some time now.

Yes, but can WFP open SDLPPX files and can WFP generate the return package?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
SDLPPX = zip file Apr 1, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
can WFP open SDLPPX files

No. OTOH, an SDLPPX is just a zip file (change the extension to .zip and you will able to open it directly in Windows Explorer, or Finder, or whatever Linux is using).
Samuel Murray wrote:
and can WFP generate the return package?

No. OTOH, a translated SDLXLIFF would probably be sufficient to most clients who are using Studio.

Thierry LIU
Thierry LIU  Identity Verified
France
French to Chinese
+ ...
I did it thanks Aug 11, 2016

Armorel Young wrote:

Actually I have now managed to open the original file by renaming it as a zip file as Dominique suggested - but (as he predicted) it contains a whole lot of files with the extensions .sdltm, sdltb, .sdlxliff and .sdlproj, none of which I can open.

So I'm still none the wiser as to why Wordfast and Trados are said to be compatible when in practice I can't open the Trados files.

I just successfully unzipped it by changing the name extension to .zip. Thanks a lot !

Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:03
Portuguese to German
+ ...
.sdltm Aug 15, 2016

Yes, unzipping is a way to open the Trados package and then work on the sldxliff file. (WFP 3)

How do you deal with the sdltm file? Any way to open it directly or to import it in a previously created TM?

Is there any alternative or is it the best to follow Dominique's advice:

About .sdltm: it's the native format of translation memories in Studio. If you need to use such a TM outside Studio (eg. in Wordfast), the easiest would be to ask your client to export
... See more
Yes, unzipping is a way to open the Trados package and then work on the sldxliff file. (WFP 3)

How do you deal with the sdltm file? Any way to open it directly or to import it in a previously created TM?

About .sdltm: it's the native format of translation memories in Studio. If you need to use such a TM outside Studio (eg. in Wordfast), the easiest would be to ask your client to export it to the TMX format. If this can't be done, there's a new script made by Thomas van Nellen that will do the conversion for you. Very easy to use: just drag & drop the .sdltm on the script in Windows Explorer, and you will eventually get a TMX with the same name in the same folder as the .sdltm. If the TM is big, the conversion can take some time, but my guess is that most project-related TM's sent out to translators for reference are not that big.

THANKS
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Yes there is a free Java tool for that Aug 16, 2016

Patrick Wahl wrote:

THANKS

Mr van Nellen has created a Java app for this too:

http://www.vannellen.com/fortranslators.php

[Edited at 2016-08-16 12:23 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
New Wordfast wiki article on translating SDLPPX files. Aug 16, 2016

Hello everyone,

I just updated our wiki with instructions that I hope are clear: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Translating_SDL_Trados_packages

Please let me know if anything is unclear or more information/instructions are needed.

Thanks!
John

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I open an .sdlppx file with Wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »