Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 09:03
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2019

I have version 5.6.0 (demo) on a MacOS 10.13.6 and I was just handed a Trados package from a client who then apparently left the office, and the deadline is Monday morning.
I was able to unzip the package by googling, but inside is an sdlproj, which is greyed out. Is there a way to work on this?
I didn't actually confirm that I would take the job – in my last email to her I said I *should* be able to work on it with WordFast, and I also wanted to know what the subject matter was.
... See more
I have version 5.6.0 (demo) on a MacOS 10.13.6 and I was just handed a Trados package from a client who then apparently left the office, and the deadline is Monday morning.
I was able to unzip the package by googling, but inside is an sdlproj, which is greyed out. Is there a way to work on this?
I didn't actually confirm that I would take the job – in my last email to her I said I *should* be able to work on it with WordFast, and I also wanted to know what the subject matter was. I still don't know that.
I would really like to do the job if I can, but if not – oh well?
Collapse

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem "solved" Jan 18, 2019

The client sent me xliff files instead, so I don't need help with this one. Although it would be interesting to hear if it is indeed possible.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:03
English to French
+ ...
Importing SDL packages into WfPro Jan 18, 2019

Did you try this: https://wordfast.com/WFP/5.1/t1590749.html ???

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did now. Jan 18, 2019

But it didn't work. When I tried to import the whole package from the client, all the xliffs are greyed out. The client sent me xliffs, and I imported them one by one.

[Edited at 2019-01-18 20:22 GMT]

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Jean Jan 18, 2019

I just realized what I did wrong. I had unzipped the package, so I was trying to import the folder(s). I just now imported the unzipped package, and it worked! Unfortunately, when I try to open the files, I still get the error message that "Locale object for specified locale-code (nb) doesn't exist." (I have started a separate thread about this.)
Thank you for your help.

Elisabeth

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Check the language code Jan 18, 2019

That is most likely caused by the language code in the SDL package not being 100% identical with the language code of the WfP project. WfPro can be infuriatingly annoying because of such discrepancies. Make sure that the both source AND target languages are exactly the same, such as EN-us (or EN, or EN-uk, or whatever) for both the SDL package and the WfP project (you may have to create a new WfP project, since editing the project language codes is not possible, another quite annoying issue.
... See more
That is most likely caused by the language code in the SDL package not being 100% identical with the language code of the WfP project. WfPro can be infuriatingly annoying because of such discrepancies. Make sure that the both source AND target languages are exactly the same, such as EN-us (or EN, or EN-uk, or whatever) for both the SDL package and the WfP project (you may have to create a new WfP project, since editing the project language codes is not possible, another quite annoying issue.

Elisabeth Maurland wrote:

I just realized what I did wrong. I had unzipped the package, so I was trying to import the folder(s). I just now imported the unzipped package, and it worked! Unfortunately, when I try to open the files, I still get the error message that "Locale object for specified locale-code (nb) doesn't exist." (I have started a separate thread about this.)
Thank you for your help.

Elisabeth
Collapse

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I how do I check it? Jan 18, 2019

Where do I check if it's the same? I assume this is the language code the project is in:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 3.02.49 PM

And when I go into Modify Project, this is what is shown:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 3.08.24 PM

Which seems to be the same, except that it's not written as code.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Target AND source Jan 18, 2019

Let's assume that the target language code as shown on the first screen shot is Bokmål (I can't be sure, because the two ISO standards use either "nob" and "nb", see https://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php).

But you also need to make sure that the SOURCE languages match. Wordfast won't understand EN as EN-us, for example, let alone EN-uk or whateve
... See more
Let's assume that the target language code as shown on the first screen shot is Bokmål (I can't be sure, because the two ISO standards use either "nob" and "nb", see https://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php).

But you also need to make sure that the SOURCE languages match. Wordfast won't understand EN as EN-us, for example, let alone EN-uk or whatever variant is in the package. One would think, let alone hope, that setting a language code of "EN" in WfP would cover whatever variant (EN-ca, EN-uk, EN-us, etc.) is in the source package. But no, it doesn't; in such a case, WfP returns an error message.

If it were me, I'd go into the SDL package files and make sure that all source and target language codes are respectively identical. Milan's answer contained clues as to how to do this. Then, and only then, I would create the WfP project, using the appropriate language codes.
Collapse

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open in TextEditor? Jan 18, 2019

This is outside of my level of experience. I don't know how to open an SDL package in TextEditor and then create a WfP project out of that, if I were able to get that far. There are 40 some files to check/open/change.
Sorry, I really appreciate the help, though! I don't know if I should just throw in the towel or spend all weekend. But I have other jobs too…

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL files Jan 19, 2019

I mean, where do you "go into" the SDL files?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I open sdlproj in Wordfast Pro?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »