Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2019

Hi all
I want to stop the preview pane from automatically displaying, and move the glossaries results pane so that it is to the right of the main translation pane.
I've searched the Wf Pro user guide and can't find how to change the layout of the different panes. Am I missing something, or is this simply not part of Wf Pro's functionality (if so, it should be, in my opinion).
Thanks

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
French to English
Preferences Feb 17, 2019

You can prevent the Live Preview pane from opening automatically in Preferences: https://www.screencast.com/t/AOGnkHvN6e

You can't change the location of the glossary pane. Please suggest an improvement via the feedback icon.

Best,

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this Feb 17, 2019

John Di Rico wrote:
You can prevent the Live Preview pane from opening automatically in Preferences: https://www.screencast.com/t/AOGnkHvN6e

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, thanks, I will suggest via feedback Feb 17, 2019

John Di Rico wrote:
You can't change the location of the glossary pane. Please suggest an improvement via the feedback icon.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Clinton Feb 18, 2019

Comunican wrote:
I want to ... move the glossaries results pane so that it is to the right of the main translation pane.

You can't move the glossary results pane. You can only make it bigger or smaller, at the expense of some other resource.

The Wordfast 5 developers do not want you to use multiple resources simultaneously. You must choose what you want to see: either the glossary results, or the TM results, or the segment changes, or the segment notes, or the QA results. Sure, you can "minimise" the glossary results to the side of the screen and then view glossary results by clicking on it, but the pane then re-minimises itself as soon as you move your mouse away from it. Either WFP5 is still a work in progress, or the Wordfast 5 developers are trying to discourage you from using glossaries. Makes you think, doesn't it?

There are also no keyboard shortcuts for opening any of these resources' panes. You have to use your mouse to e.g. click "TM Lookup" or "Segment History" etc. There is also no functionality to increase the size of the glossary pane temporarily -- you have to grab the divider with your mouse and drag it to the left or right every time you want to be able to see what's in the pane.

John Di Rico wrote:
Please suggest an improvement via the feedback icon.

I'm not sure if that would work (except to make the OP feel better). This was obviously a deliberate design decision.

Comunican

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have made my suggestion to Wordfast Feb 18, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

You can't move the glossary results pane. You can only make it bigger or smaller, at the expense of some other resource.

The Wordfast 5 developers do not want you to use multiple resources simultaneously. You must choose what you want to see: either the glossary results, or the TM results, or the segment changes, or the segment notes, or the QA results.

John Di Rico wrote:
Please suggest an improvement via the feedback icon.

I'm not sure if that would work (except to make the OP feel better). This was obviously a deliberate design decision.

Hi Samuel
I posted a feedback suggestion on this and received a reply from someone at Wordfast saying that it is on the list of things to do.
I wrote back thanking her and saying that it does seem odd that I have less ability to customise in Wordfast Pro than I do in Wordfast Classic, where I can have the Glossary and TM companions open and put them where I like. I also sent her a screengrab of how I prefer things to be laid out on Wordfast Classic - ie:
- The main translation window in the middle in vertical mode. It is so much easier to scan the eyes up and down between the Source and the Target (this is why newspapers are written in narrow columns rather than wide columns - Usability 101!)
- The TM sized as a column on the left
- The glossary also sized as a column to the right

We shall see!
I've been loyal to Wf for over 10 years, but I feel they are missing a trick by not making their versions more usable...

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 06:19
Stacked View Feb 18, 2019

Comunican wrote:

- The main translation window in the middle in vertical mode. It is so much easier to scan the eyes up and down between the Source and the Target (this is why newspapers are written in narrow columns rather than wide columns - Usability 101!)

Hi Clinton,

You can do that now in WFP 5, in TXLF editor go to File menu > Switch Editor Layout and select Stacked View.

Thank you,

John

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but Stacked View is too wide Feb 18, 2019

John Daniel wrote:

Hi Clinton,

You can do that now in WFP 5, in TXLF editor go to File menu > Switch Editor Layout and select Stacked View.

Thank you,

John

Thanks, yes I know this option, but it is too wide and lacks the clean breaks/layout of Wf Classic. So much so that, in Wf Pro, I use the side-by-side Table View. What I'd ideally like is Stacked View but with the ability to make the stack narrow (like the newspaper columns) and then use that space on the right for the glossary. Maybe I'm alone on wanting this, I'm not sure...

John Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I change the layout of the different Wf Pro panes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »