£1m of taxpayers' money spent on foreign language interpreters by Dorset Police and the CPS

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "£1m of taxpayers' money spent on foreign language interpreters by Dorset Police and the CPS".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sounds quite modest to me Mar 30, 2014

Before anyone starts howling that it's a lot of money...

A million over FIVE YEARS.
200,000 per year.

OK, over a million over five years, and all of £224,696.35 in 2009/10

£ 18 725 per month in the most expensive year.

Try converting that into the hourly rate for an interpreter, plus expenses, preparation time and so on.
This is the public sector, so are they paying £30 - 40 per hour ??
I really have no idea, but how many i
... See more
Before anyone starts howling that it's a lot of money...

A million over FIVE YEARS.
200,000 per year.

OK, over a million over five years, and all of £224,696.35 in 2009/10

£ 18 725 per month in the most expensive year.

Try converting that into the hourly rate for an interpreter, plus expenses, preparation time and so on.
This is the public sector, so are they paying £30 - 40 per hour ??
I really have no idea, but how many interpreter-hours do you need for a court case?

Or a word rate for translating legal documents.
(I don't know what British agencies pay Polish translators, but I ask for GBP 80 for a thousand words...)

Just a few thoughts.

I wonder what a country like Denmark pays (total population around 5.5 million, language not widely spoken out of Denmark). English taxpayers just can't complain about the cost of translation and interpreting by comparison with what others probably have to fork out.

[Edited at 2014-03-31 15:32 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Storm in a teacup Mar 31, 2014

Yep, as the article states, "high but declining costs "... in other words, nothing to see here, move along now please. It must have been a slow news day.

It's an example of DM-style* clickbait, defined as "the lowest form of social media journalism, full of sensationalized headlines", designed to get the reader to click on the item in umbrage.

*Daily Mail (UK)

[Edited at 2014-03-31 16:00 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
More right wing news Mar 31, 2014

for the anti-immigration lobby. Really, why are we posting this kind of "news"?

[Edited at 2014-03-31 15:16 GMT]

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
"News"? Mar 31, 2014

I agree Lisa, why was this story flagged?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Clickbaiting Apr 1, 2014

I have a rule of thumb that works quite well for me: I never read an article with the word "taxpayer" in the headline (or if I do, it's only to marshall my arguments against whoever might wave said headline in my face).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WHo is it? Apr 1, 2014

Who's the taxpayer referred to in the headline - which refers to a single person - ?

Whoever that person is, I feel sorry for them, although if this person was able to pay £1m in tax, they must be pretty well off.

[Edited at 2014-04-01 19:19 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
There's a political context, of course... Apr 1, 2014

But of course, the reasons that headlines like this appear aren't really to do with a rational calculation of how much you would expect services to cost in a civilised society. Rather, they're essentially playing on a political climate that exists in the UK at the moment.

Once you understand that the UK has a large number of undereducated, parochially-minded bigots (or "British people concerned about their British identity and the influx of foreigners taking their jobs", as politici
... See more
But of course, the reasons that headlines like this appear aren't really to do with a rational calculation of how much you would expect services to cost in a civilised society. Rather, they're essentially playing on a political climate that exists in the UK at the moment.

Once you understand that the UK has a large number of undereducated, parochially-minded bigots (or "British people concerned about their British identity and the influx of foreigners taking their jobs", as politicians sometimes refer to them) who buy populist newspapers, then you start to understand the reason behind such headlines...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

£1m of taxpayers' money spent on foreign language interpreters by Dorset Police and the CPS

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »