Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:47
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 6, 2021

Apparently Mac users with Parallels and Windows 10 will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 because we don't have what MS calls Secure Boot nor TPM.
Quote from the MS site:
"Secure Boot is an important security feature designed to prevent malicious software from loading when your PC starts up (boots). Most modern PCs are capable of Secure Boot, but in some instances, there may be settings that cause the PC to appear to not be capable of Secure Boot. These settings can be changed in
... See more
Apparently Mac users with Parallels and Windows 10 will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 because we don't have what MS calls Secure Boot nor TPM.
Quote from the MS site:
"Secure Boot is an important security feature designed to prevent malicious software from loading when your PC starts up (boots). Most modern PCs are capable of Secure Boot, but in some instances, there may be settings that cause the PC to appear to not be capable of Secure Boot. These settings can be changed in the PC firmware. Firmware, often called BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), is the software that starts up before Windows when you first turn on your PC."

Obviously we don't have the PC hardware to do any settings inside the Bios.
Does anyone know if Parallels will solve this problem?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Oct 6, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Obviously [Parallels users] don't have the PC hardware to do any settings inside the Bios.

Isn't Parallels just a virtual machine? Virtual machines can typically mimic whatever settings are in the BIOS so as to satisfy the installation requirements of the guest operating system. So if Parallels can't do this yet, I'm sure (unless Parallels is abandonware) you will get this ability in it soon.

Mr. Satan (X)
Philippe Locquet
Tom in London

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I searched Oct 6, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Obviously [Parallels users] don't have the PC hardware to do any settings inside the Bios.

Isn't Parallels just a virtual machine? Virtual machines can typically mimic whatever settings are in the BIOS so as to satisfy the installation requirements of the guest operating system. So if Parallels can't do this yet, I'm sure (unless Parallels is abandonware) you will get this ability in it soon.

I searched on the net and found Parallels pages summening up how to make an Intel Mac compatible with Windows 11, sounds very complicated, though, if the TPM chip is not on the Windows 10 hardware list.
For those who are interested:
- https://kb.parallels.com/en/125521
- https://kb.parallels.com/en/128449

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:47
English to French
+ ...
Coming soon Oct 7, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
I searched on the net and found Parallels pages summening up how to make an Intel Mac compatible with Windows 11, sounds very complicated, though, if the TPM chip is not on the Windows 10 hardware list.

As Samuel said, it should be coming soon. Here's is what VMWare (a reference in the field) says:
"If you plan to install Insider Preview builds or running the final version of Windows 11 on a virtual machine using VMware Workstation, the application includes TPM and Secure Boot options. Since we are dealing with virtualization, you are not required to have the computer components physically."
https://pureinfotech.com/enable-tpm-secure-boot-vmware-install-windows-11/

So, if Parallels want to add user-friendly support for this, they will. Just need to wait a bit. If they don't alternatives like VMWare will be available, I suppose VirtualBox will have it too.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Actually... Oct 7, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:
Here's is what VMWare (a reference in the field) says:
"If you plan to install Insider Preview builds or running the final version of Windows 11 on a virtual machine using VMware Workstation, the application includes TPM and Secure Boot options. Since we are dealing with virtualization, you are not required to have the computer components physically."

I did a bit of digging, and this is my current impression of the facts: the information on pureinfotech.com relates only to preview builds of Windows 11, and may not necessarily work for the latest version of Windows 11 (or: maybe it will).

Microsoft allowed Windows 11 to be installed in VirtualBox virtual machines on older hardware until very, very recently. What Windows 11 did, when installed on such a virtual machine, was to simply not check whether the necessary hardware requirements are being met. This is why one may see videos on YouTube that shows how Windows 11 is installed on VirtualBox, because it used to be possible to do that. However, very recently Microsoft changed its policy, and Windows 11 can no longer be installed in a VirtualBox virtual machine if the underlying hardware does not meet its requirements.

According to this review:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-is-no-longer-compatible-with-oracle-virtualbox-vms/
...this issue does not affect VMWare Workstation, Hyper-V, Parallels, and QEMU. It is unclear from the article whether the public versions of Windows 11 would work on VMWare and Parallels if the underlying hardware does not meet the requirements.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but ... Oct 7, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

As Samuel said, it should be coming soon. Here's is what VMWare (a reference in the field) says:

So, if Parallels want to add user-friendly support for this, they will. Just need to wait a bit. If they don't alternatives like VMWare will be available, I suppose VirtualBox will have it too.

... what when PC Health Check says that my machine (iMac 2020) does not meet Windows 11 system requirements?

I just love it when Microsoft says: Quote: "Check to see if there are things you can do, and if not, you'll keep getting Windows 10 updates."

Anyway, let's wait for the final product, it's not really that important as Windoze is just a support needed to run Windoze software.

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:47
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
It works Oct 12, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I somehow managed to have Windows 11 on Parallels Desktop and it works (Parallels Desktop 16 on Mac M1).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 11 on Mac

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »