Off topic: why have my photos disappeared (but not music or other data)?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

I save all my data to an external hard drive (Fujitsu Handy Drive 60Gb, about 4 years old now).

Recently I had my PC reformatted.

I noticed that I had lost some data from the external drive (some photos) at around the same point in time, just after, but most were still there.

Now, 4 weeks later, ALL the photos are gone. Nothing else, so far. I s¡till have may data, my music etc.

Is this coincidence? Or is there a reason?

... See more
I save all my data to an external hard drive (Fujitsu Handy Drive 60Gb, about 4 years old now).

Recently I had my PC reformatted.

I noticed that I had lost some data from the external drive (some photos) at around the same point in time, just after, but most were still there.

Now, 4 weeks later, ALL the photos are gone. Nothing else, so far. I s¡till have may data, my music etc.

Is this coincidence? Or is there a reason?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-03 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Backup method Dec 3, 2008

Are you using a backup software to transfer your data to the external hard drive? If so, it may be the case that the backup software is set to synchronize the data before backing them up, effectively deleting all files on the external hard drive that are no longer stored on your PC.

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mystery... Dec 3, 2008

This could be anything, but one possibility would be:
Do you have an automated backup solution in place? This might be poorly configured. Many of these solutions automatically delete files that are in the backup, but no longer in the original location. Since you may have changed the location of your original photos when reformatting, the backup solution will conclude that they are no longer needed in the backup (since it cannot find the originals anymore) and delete them.
But this is
... See more
This could be anything, but one possibility would be:
Do you have an automated backup solution in place? This might be poorly configured. Many of these solutions automatically delete files that are in the backup, but no longer in the original location. Since you may have changed the location of your original photos when reformatting, the backup solution will conclude that they are no longer needed in the backup (since it cannot find the originals anymore) and delete them.
But this is really anyone's guess.
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AUTOMATIC BACK-UP Dec 3, 2008

The photos were only on the external drive, not on the PC as well.

The automated backup seems the likley explanation, as I made an attempt to do automated backup but aborted it as it was going to take too long and I decided to postpone it until another day, and maybe that explains why only the photos, but not other data, were lost.

However, you make me very wary of automated backup, becuase I'm not such a whizz on computers that I know how to configure backup, so I thi
... See more
The photos were only on the external drive, not on the PC as well.

The automated backup seems the likley explanation, as I made an attempt to do automated backup but aborted it as it was going to take too long and I decided to postpone it until another day, and maybe that explains why only the photos, but not other data, were lost.

However, you make me very wary of automated backup, becuase I'm not such a whizz on computers that I know how to configure backup, so I think I'll return to my old system of manual backup, which saved my bacon recently.

Thanks for the clues:-)

[Edited at 2008-12-03 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 07:50
Spanish to English
Possible equivalent of "checking the plug" Dec 3, 2008

After formatting the PC, did you install a photo / image recongition program compatible with the format your photos were in? (i.e., capable of reading them?)
The photos may in fatc be on the external, but PC might lack software to read them, thus showing nothing there, not even unreadable files.
I have found this problem with externals and DVDs not showing files (not even as data files) due to lacking the software capable of reading the particular format (especially with all the for
... See more
After formatting the PC, did you install a photo / image recongition program compatible with the format your photos were in? (i.e., capable of reading them?)
The photos may in fatc be on the external, but PC might lack software to read them, thus showing nothing there, not even unreadable files.
I have found this problem with externals and DVDs not showing files (not even as data files) due to lacking the software capable of reading the particular format (especially with all the formats I have movies in).
Collapse

Saturniana
Saturniana  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
English to Romanian
+ ...
Photo recovery Dec 3, 2008

You might want to try some photo recovery software like Zero Assumption Recovery before concluding your photos are gone for good.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try Picasa Dec 6, 2008

When you start Picasa the first time, it searches the whole system for all kind of images. Make sure your external disc is connected. I found images from 8 years back which I could not even remember anymore. Picasa2 is free of charge.
Regards
Heinrich

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnaks for tip ... Dec 7, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When you start Picasa the first time, it searches the whole system for all kind of images. Make sure your external disc is connected. I found images from 8 years back which I could not even remember anymore. Picasa2 is free of charge.
Regards
Heinrich

...sadly it didn't work:-(

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why have my photos disappeared (but not music or other data)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »