Is there any way to determine the dimension of or export InDesign files (for ex. into Word)?
Thread poster: cfdrtg
cfdrtg
cfdrtg
Local time: 01:14
English to German
+ ...
Jun 18, 2005

I hope this is the right forum :-I .
I have looked through the various posts concerning InDesign but I haven't found an answer to my problem.

I recently acquired InDesign because my client switched from PageMaker. In PM there was the possibility to estimate the dimension of the various files through a comand "plug ins" which led to "word/character count". I have not been able to spot a similar function in InDesign.
Has anybody more experienced than me any suggestions
... See more
I hope this is the right forum :-I .
I have looked through the various posts concerning InDesign but I haven't found an answer to my problem.

I recently acquired InDesign because my client switched from PageMaker. In PM there was the possibility to estimate the dimension of the various files through a comand "plug ins" which led to "word/character count". I have not been able to spot a similar function in InDesign.
Has anybody more experienced than me any suggestions of how to establish the size of the file other than export it piece by piece into word?

Thank you for any support.

Daniela
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
SDLX is the solution Jun 18, 2005

With SDLX 2005, you can prepare an SDLX file from an InDesign file with a few mouse clicks, ready to be translated. In SDLX, you can then display the number of words to be translated.

With SDLX, you can translate the file without caring about formatting. All you see is the plain text (source in the left and target in the right column).

After the translation is completed with spelling, grammar and terminological consistence checked, you export the SDLX file to an InDesig
... See more
With SDLX 2005, you can prepare an SDLX file from an InDesign file with a few mouse clicks, ready to be translated. In SDLX, you can then display the number of words to be translated.

With SDLX, you can translate the file without caring about formatting. All you see is the plain text (source in the left and target in the right column).

After the translation is completed with spelling, grammar and terminological consistence checked, you export the SDLX file to an InDesign file with a few mouse clicks.

You can download a fully operational trial version (30 days) of SDLX 2005 here:

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx/products-downloads-sdlx/downloads-sdlx-evaluation.htm
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:44
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Info palette for each "story" Jun 18, 2005

You can see the character count of eact story by clicking in the story with the text tool then looking at the Info palette, where you get character, word, row and paragraph counts.
(A "story" is a sequence of connected text boxes)

cheers,
Roberta

Gerti Mayer (X)
Gerti Mayer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
English to German
+ ...
Filter software for InDesign Jun 18, 2005

You could try the filter software from ecm-engineering (Sysfilter for Indesign) which has a batch function and allows you to convert as many InDesign files as you want into rtf format. The files are prepared for translation with tools like Trados or Deja Vu and after the export you can easily count them with your counting tool or use the sysfilter log file which also includes a word count. The program really saved me a lot of time, as it only takes a few minutes to evaluate the size of large InD... See more
You could try the filter software from ecm-engineering (Sysfilter for Indesign) which has a batch function and allows you to convert as many InDesign files as you want into rtf format. The files are prepared for translation with tools like Trados or Deja Vu and after the export you can easily count them with your counting tool or use the sysfilter log file which also includes a word count. The program really saved me a lot of time, as it only takes a few minutes to evaluate the size of large InDesign projects. A free trial version is available under http://www.ecm-engineering.de.

Regards

Gerti Mayer
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to determine the dimension of or export InDesign files (for ex. into Word)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »