Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:50
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2005

I have been trying to get used to my new Acer 1691 laptop for a while but I probably do not know all the tricks yet. This time I was going to work in the garden (to get used to it before I go on holidays - with laptop, of course), set up Word, Trados, opened all Internet windows I need and... suddenly the laptop said it is going to hibernate and switched off. And I cannot switch it back - I have removed the battery, put it back, tried to press the on/off button, but nothing happens.
I have
... See more
I have been trying to get used to my new Acer 1691 laptop for a while but I probably do not know all the tricks yet. This time I was going to work in the garden (to get used to it before I go on holidays - with laptop, of course), set up Word, Trados, opened all Internet windows I need and... suddenly the laptop said it is going to hibernate and switched off. And I cannot switch it back - I have removed the battery, put it back, tried to press the on/off button, but nothing happens.
I have a support agreement with Acer, the problem is if I have to send the laptop to their office (as I already did two weeks ago and just received it back yesterday) I will not get it back in time when I leave for holidays. If I take it to another place for repairs, it invalidates my support agreement with Acer (I think).
To be honest, I am in panic as I have a 20 000 project to work on (half of it on holidays).
Any bright ideas? Any help appreciated.

Burrell
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
German to English
Power supply? Jul 9, 2005

Have you tried reconnecting the power supply and then switching back on again?

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did it Jul 9, 2005

Yes, I removed the battery and then installed it back. Nothing.

RobinB
United States
German to English
Reset switch? Jul 9, 2005

So you've reconnected the power supply and it still doesn't work?

Two options, though check your user manual (if you have one...):

1) Many modern laptops work fine on mains power without the battery installed. So try removing the battery and switching on just with mains power. And when you switch on, press the on/off switch hard.

2) Many laptops have a reset switch. Sometimes this is somewhere around the keyboard (you may need a needle - the blunt end!! - o
... See more
So you've reconnected the power supply and it still doesn't work?

Two options, though check your user manual (if you have one...):

1) Many modern laptops work fine on mains power without the battery installed. So try removing the battery and switching on just with mains power. And when you switch on, press the on/off switch hard.

2) Many laptops have a reset switch. Sometimes this is somewhere around the keyboard (you may need a needle - the blunt end!! - or similar to press it) or possibly under one of the removable covers on the underside.

Check the user manual, and if you don't find anything there, check the manufacturer's website (there may also be a FAQ there on what to do in your particular case).
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 9, 2005

Will try and let you know if I get anywhere.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jul 9, 2005

I feel so embarassed! It turned out the battery was flat and although I had connected the laptop to power, I failed to notice that the plug was not inserted into socket properly. At least I did not start banging the On/OFF switch too seriously.

RobinB
United States
German to English
Batteries... Jul 9, 2005

I guessed it was something to do with the battery, but was thinking more along the lines of a bad battery.

Never mind, no harm done. These things are sent....

Robin

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You did help! Jul 9, 2005

Actually it was done with your help. I did check the User Guide as you said and it said, if the power button does not react, the power is not getting to the laptop. So I checked all the power sources and bilgo! So thanks a lot. I have already had so many problems with this machine (even before I started to use it) that I am willing to assume worst straight away.

Cheers,
Burrell

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:50
English to German
+ ...
disable hybernation Jul 9, 2005

Hi in windows>desktop>properties>screen saver>power>hybernate , if you enable hybernate, some comps never manage to get out, so unmark the enable box. Accordingly if you have UPS etc., Regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-07-09 18:50]

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly what I wanted to find out! Jul 9, 2005

Brandis wrote:

Hi in windows>desktop>properties>screen saver>power>hybernate , if you enable hybernate, some comps never manage to get out, so unmark the enable box. Accordingly if you have UPS etc., Regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-07-09 18:50]

Thanks a lot, Brandis! I was actually wandering how to switch that hibernating off.

Cheers,
Burrell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop hibernating, help!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »