Thread poster: Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2005

I'm trying to transcribe and translate from wmv files at the moment (using Windows media player), giving the time of various statments as I go along. However, one of the files I've got is 80 minutes long and I seem to be unable to fast forward or rewind it - is there a setting I can change? Additionally, the file isn't happy about being paused too often, and tends to give up after about 40 minutes and freeze.

Does any one have any tips? Should I use a different media player?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:47
Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Jul 15, 2005

Clare Barnes wrote:

I'm trying to transcribe and translate from wmv files at the moment (using Windows media player), giving the time of various statments as I go along. However, one of the files I've got is 80 minutes long and I seem to be unable to fast forward or rewind it - is there a setting I can change? Additionally, the file isn't happy about being paused too often, and tends to give up after about 40 minutes and freeze.

Does any one have any tips? Should I use a different media player?

Hello Claire,

If you have problems with the wmv files, you could try recording the sound. 'Audacity' can record sounds straight from your computer. The problem is that you won't be able to listen to the other files while it's recording, because it records from the sound card so may want to take an 80 minute break while it's recording.

Good luck

Cali

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd considered that... Jul 15, 2005

...can you give me a few tips about what "audacity" is, please???

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:47
Spanish
+ ...
Audacity Jul 15, 2005

It is very easy to use. You can download it here audacity.sourceforge.net , it's a freeware. Just download, install and click 'record'. After it's finished recording you can save the file as an audacity file (it'll play only in audacity), wav, ogg (plug-in requiered) or mp3 (you'll need to download a plug-in too). The mp3 plugin is in the web site and it'll download in no time.

You don't really need to configure anything, I didn't. But if you can't hear (and see it on the inter
... See more
It is very easy to use. You can download it here audacity.sourceforge.net , it's a freeware. Just download, install and click 'record'. After it's finished recording you can save the file as an audacity file (it'll play only in audacity), wav, ogg (plug-in requiered) or mp3 (you'll need to download a plug-in too). The mp3 plugin is in the web site and it'll download in no time.

You don't really need to configure anything, I didn't. But if you can't hear (and see it on the interface) anything, make sure that 1) under preferences, the software is using the sound card as the input (it's usually the default) and 2) on the interface, just below the control buttons, 'stereo mix' is selected.

Regards

[Edited at 2005-07-15 05:48]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Other media players? Jul 15, 2005

Maybe you can just try another media player - Real Audio, Winamp... There are hundreds around and maybe another one (that you even may have installed) will handle the file better.

Most, if not all handle the WMV format.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Jul 15, 2005

Thanks, but I think I'm going to have to write to my client and explain... the file I'm to download from on the Internet also gives up after 46 minutes (having now gone through it to check, rather than downloading directly), Audacity was a great idea (but I can still only get the first 46 minutes) and it won't even open in Winamp. A nightmare all round, to be honest!

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 09:47
English
Extract audio, then play in transcription software Jul 15, 2005

If you can't extract the audio, perhaps you can play the full file in Windows Media Player, and have a dictation product "listen" and record it while it's playing. Express Dictate (http://nch.com.au/express/index.html) has some free tools; these even work with foot pedals.

I don't know if Windows can listen while it's playing, however. A Mac can. If you have a Mac friend maybe they can
... See more
If you can't extract the audio, perhaps you can play the full file in Windows Media Player, and have a dictation product "listen" and record it while it's playing. Express Dictate (http://nch.com.au/express/index.html) has some free tools; these even work with foot pedals.

I don't know if Windows can listen while it's playing, however. A Mac can. If you have a Mac friend maybe they can help, or I could do it for you, as I have a Mac.
Collapse

Daniel Martin
Daniel Martin
Spain
Local time: 14:47
English to Spanish
Try BSPlayer Jul 15, 2005

For avi, wmv, mpeg you can use BSplayer, which you can get for free from bsplayer.org
I believe that this is a much more stable and resource saver player than WMP. Besides, you can rewind and forward with your arrow keys. You can also load subtitles (if you have them) using Ctrl+L. I think it's a really good player.

Give it a try.

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BSplayer Jul 15, 2005

Hi Daniel, I'm giving this player a go right now - I still can't fast forward or rewind the file though, so I'm waiting with baited breath to see if it lasts longer than 46 minutes... Anyway, the end client is apparently making another version of the file available so maybe that will help...

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wmv files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »