Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:34
English to French
+ ...
Feb 6, 2005

I have heard that the use of Google Deskbar can be bad from a security point of view. Since it keeps running in the toolbar, it keeps a port open, too, which can make your computer vulnerable to attacks.

Does anybody know of a way to fend off attacks / a safe way to use Deskbar?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I never heard about it Feb 7, 2005

Hi. Where did you hear that? AFAIK the only problem could be that google records your searches (into your own hard disk if I understand), for the sake of guessing what google ads could interest you most, and present them on google pages when you make a search. By itself this is not so bad, but has the potential to be misused. A good counteraction, if you have reasons to be suspicious or afraid of your own search terms, could be the deletion of cookies - i guess.

ViktoriaG wrote:

I have heard that the use of Google Deskbar can be bad from a security point of view. Since it keeps running in the toolbar, it keeps a port open, too, which can make your computer vulnerable to attacks.

Does anybody know of a way to fend off attacks / a safe way to use Deskbar?

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Desktop search programs Feb 7, 2005

Hi Viktoria

I use both Google and Yahoo desktop search programs, and I find them great. Of course, every time you access the Internet using for ex. such programs, you open a door that could be used to access your PC. But if you have a good firewall and antivirus on, there should be no problem. In addition to running them, you should run an antispyware daily.

Hope it helps.
ciao
Antonella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Security issues with Google Deskbar

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »