Accessing MS Outlook mail when on the road
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:24
German to English
Mar 3, 2005

Whenever I've been on the road, I've had no problem accessing my Hotmail account in Internet Cafes, etc. but I've never been able to figure out how to read my Outlook mail. Can someone please help me with this very basic question?

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
POP Mar 3, 2005

I assume that you download your mail using the POP-protocol. I do not know about hotmail, but if you set up an yahoo-account you can set it to download your pop-mail.

In Outlook you might want to tick "leave copies of messages on server". When you get back to your office you will be able to download you mail there as well.

Good luck.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
If you have Exchange back home... Mar 3, 2005

You can use Outlook Web Access. Then it is enough to have a browser (I never tried with anything else than IE).

Most providers have web interfaced. You can have someone forward your mail to such an account (on Exchange you can have it do it automatically, but Web Access is better).

Also you can set it up, so you can access your mail using a WAP mobile.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
French to English
mail2web.com ? Mar 3, 2005

I don't use Outlook, so I'm not totally sure what the nature of your problem is, but I do use compuserve, which generally requires the compuserve front end to access it. However, I've managed to read my compuserve mail all over the place by logging on to www.mail2web.com (from Internet Explorer). You can quite easily test this from the comfort of your own home too, of course.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My solution Mar 3, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Whenever I've been on the road, I've had no problem accessing my Hotmail account in Internet Cafes, etc. but I've never been able to figure out how to read my Outlook mail. Can someone please help me with this very basic question?

This is the kind of basic question that I probably won't be able to answer.... but I'm often away from home, and always prefer to deal with my mail through Outlook, and what I do is go to the website of the server, where you can access your mail. So, my server is Telefonica, and my Outlook is configured to receive mail for my main Telefonica address. When on the road, I log into Telefonica's website, go to the email section, login in with my user name and password, then I get to see my mail.

The only problem with this is that once you have opened the mail, it won't download to Outlook, also replies or emails out don't get to Outlook. Leaving a gap in your correspondence, unless you forward the mail to yourself.

Would that work for you?????

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:24
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
To be more specific, Mar 4, 2005

Although I really would like to know how to access Outlook myself when I'm traveling, a more immediate issue is this: a friend of mine will be visiting here in Guadalajara for a few weeks. He'd like to access his Outlook mail and knows even less about IT than I do. If he's sitting here at my computer and goes to my Outlook, what will he/I have to do to read his mail and send mail?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
mail2web or your providers webmail-site Mar 4, 2005

If you use a commercial provider as I do, they will have some kind of webmail site, where you can logg in and look at your account, delete stuff and send mail.
But I used to read my mail through mail2web.com. At least once I had already 300 unwanted mails after two days on holiday. But at one occation I tried to send from an Internet cafe a large zip, but the customer never recieved it, though I had to wait half an hour before it went through.
Regards
Heinrich

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
2 options Mar 4, 2005

Hi Kim,

Kim Metzger wrote:
If he's sitting here at my computer and goes to my Outlook, what will he/I have to do to read his mail and send mail?

Your friend does not necessarily have to use Outlook to check, reply or delete his emails. If his email address is [email protected] (for example), go to www.hotmail.com. If his email address is [email protected], go to www.aol.com, and so on. Look for two boxes "user name" or "login" and "password". If he types in his user name and password there, he can access all his emails.

If he uses your Outlook, he will only be able to see your emails. Unless you create a new profile within your Outlook. There you can add his email address into your Outlook, and you two can thus read both your emails through the same Outlook. I am not very familiar with Outlook, so someone else would need to explain how to add further email accounts to one Outlook account.

Hope this helps.

Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-03-04 01:51]

Elena Sgarbo (X)
Elena Sgarbo (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Your friend needs to find out the web address from his/her e-mail provider Mar 4, 2005

Hi Kim,

I also use Outlook and when I'm away, I check my mail by going to my ISP's website. For my ISP provider the web domain is "myacc.net", and their URL address for e-mail is:

http://webmail.myacc.net. Then I enter:

-> Username
-> Password

to get to my Inbox.

Unless your friend has a web-based address book, the AB will not be available t
... See more
Hi Kim,

I also use Outlook and when I'm away, I check my mail by going to my ISP's website. For my ISP provider the web domain is "myacc.net", and their URL address for e-mail is:

http://webmail.myacc.net. Then I enter:

-> Username
-> Password

to get to my Inbox.

Unless your friend has a web-based address book, the AB will not be available to him/her from the webmail site. From there, all (s)he can do is check for (and send) new mail. The old messages, drafts, folders, address book, calendar, etc, all remain stored in the hard drive and are thus unavailable for remote use.

HTH

Elena

[Edited at 2005-03-04 02:12]
Collapse

Emmanouil Tyrakis
Emmanouil Tyrakis
Local time: 21:24
French to Greek
+ ...
Sundari is right Mar 4, 2005

All you have to do is create an acount in your outlook with the data of your friend's provider. You can find your friend's provider on the Internet, and then add the information required to create a new account with outlook. Another option is tell your friend to copy the information from his outlook (Tools - Accounts - Properties) and then you can enter this information for your friend in your outlook. This is what I do with friends who come to visit me.

Good luck

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
set a new account in outlook for your friend Mar 4, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:
Although I really would like to know how to access Outlook myself when I'm traveling, a more immediate issue is this: a friend of mine will be visiting here in Guadalajara for a few weeks. He'd like to access his Outlook mail and knows even less about IT than I do. If he's sitting here at my computer and goes to my Outlook, what will he/I have to do to read his mail and send mail?

Hi Kim, the solution is simple. As Sundari said, you just add your friend's account to your outlook.

What you'll need is this:
username: your friend's
password: your friend's
pop server name: your friend's provider pop server
smtp server name: YOUR OWN provider smtp server (this is because most providers only let you send email through the server you're connnected to).

However, there is one detail that can make things impossible...some tricky providers don't allow you to check email unless you're connected with them; e.g., if you have an email of provider A, but connect to the internet through provider B, and provider A don't allow you to check email unless you're connected with them, then pop checking will be impossible, leaving only the chance of web checking if provider A offers that facility.

HTH,
Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accessing MS Outlook mail when on the road

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »