Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What kinds of myths or facts have you all heard regarding left-handedness?
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding Italians and left handedness. Jan 15, 2008

Someone once told me that Italians loved left-handers because they left hand is guided by the heart.

I don't know if this is true, I just know that it is a very sweet sentiment!

KorTranz
KorTranz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
English to Korean
+ ...
DNA Jan 16, 2008

I guess everyone "blames" on genetics these days. My father was a left-handed. I was "corrected" to be a right-handed. Yes, I do have a bad coordination and don't play sports very well. My son is 4, and he is left-handed. I will never NEVER train him to be a right-handed. So, it must run in the family. Could it be in our DNA??

yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think that it is genetic Jan 17, 2008

I was reading in a book somewhere that there is a theory that states that what happens is that there is a surge of testosterone during pregnancy that affects the hand- brain correlation.

That is why a large portion of left-handers are male. There have been several articles including this one that talk about this but not in great det
... See more
I was reading in a book somewhere that there is a theory that states that what happens is that there is a surge of testosterone during pregnancy that affects the hand- brain correlation.

That is why a large portion of left-handers are male. There have been several articles including this one that talk about this but not in great detail.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TBX-408C8WR-6&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=38d42dabad83073d975ce252a50ebd46

Then again these are the same people who think that the direction of the hair whorl determines handedness too.

I just wanted to see what you all thought of this as left-handers.
Collapse

Gosia Kornijów
Gosia Kornijów
Local time: 12:11
English to Polish
+ ...
both-handed Jan 17, 2008

It's interesting what you write about. I can actually use my both hands for almost everything. My left-hand writing is not as nice as right-hand (looks ok though), but I think it's because I usually write with my right. As for other things, my both hands are absolutely equally skillful. Very comfortable.

I have two brothers, one is left-handed and the other is right-handed.

And because I have this condition, I never notice which hand other people use, so personally I wo
... See more
It's interesting what you write about. I can actually use my both hands for almost everything. My left-hand writing is not as nice as right-hand (looks ok though), but I think it's because I usually write with my right. As for other things, my both hands are absolutely equally skillful. Very comfortable.

I have two brothers, one is left-handed and the other is right-handed.

And because I have this condition, I never notice which hand other people use, so personally I wouldn't consider left-handers as 'different'.

cheers
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kinds of myths or facts have you all heard regarding left-handedness?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »