Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Hyphens in English with 3-word compounds?
Thread poster: across user (X)
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
German to English
+ ...
How I would state the rule Nov 9, 2016

Good explanations have been given,e.g. by John Fossey and cocannon.
I sometimes notice the incorrect presence or absence of hyphens and I describe the rule like this:
in the example "automatic disposal unit" or "automatic-disposal" unit the hyphen is correct if "automatic-disposal" is intended to be like a single adjective that describes "unit". If the sense is intended to be that it's (a) an automatic unit and (b) a disposal unit, the hyphen is omitted because each of the words "a
... See more
Good explanations have been given,e.g. by John Fossey and cocannon.
I sometimes notice the incorrect presence or absence of hyphens and I describe the rule like this:
in the example "automatic disposal unit" or "automatic-disposal" unit the hyphen is correct if "automatic-disposal" is intended to be like a single adjective that describes "unit". If the sense is intended to be that it's (a) an automatic unit and (b) a disposal unit, the hyphen is omitted because each of the words "automatic" and "disposal" is an adjective that applies to "unit".
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hyphens in English with 3-word compounds?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »